Cultivated Reef

ai prime, kessil a80m kessil a160, or something else?

12scanlon

I've had a biocube 16 for about 9 months now and have been very dissatisfied with the lighting. It can take care of softies and lps and maybe some sps at the very top. Now that i have a stable tank i kinda want to take the next step and start trying some sps. I also want to color up some of my corals that have lost lots of color due to lack of sufficient lighting. They are growing but my tank looks kind of dull. The point is whether i should buy a ai prime, kessil a80m kessil a160, or something else? i've read about the ai prime which will probably have a bit of acclimation time because of how much light my corals are used to. Any suggestions would be greatly apprecitaed. 😃

I don't think the Kessil A80 will be enough for that size tank. Most any light will require some acclimation time. I have an AI Prime and like it. I'm not sure if the Hipergaro will be enough but you could look into it. 

11 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

I don't think the Kessil A80 will be enough for that size tank. Most any light will require some acclimation time. I have an AI Prime and like it. I'm not sure if the Hipergaro will be enough but you could look into it. 

Ok 👍. I’ll probably research how people acclimated from biocubes 16 stock lighting with the ai prime. Probably won’t go with the hipergaro but I’ll keep it in consideration. Thanks😁

5 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I don't think the a80 will be enough for the 16g.

I have a regular Ai on my 25g and love the light. 

Nanobox is another option 

Cool... the nanobox looks really good but very high priced. 

9 hours ago, Tamberav said:

You should probably check out nano-box retrofit kit too. Lets you keep the hood.

https://nanobox-reef.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage/products/nanobox-retro-kit?variant=6752223068209

I like the nanobox but really want to go hoodless. I’m going to get an ato to combat the codensation. I may look into getting the nanobox with the gooseneck, but it doesn’t look that much better than the ai prime. Is this light worth the extra $100? 

1 hour ago, 12scanlon said:

Ok 👍. I’ll probably research how people acclimated from biocubes 16 stock lighting with the ai prime. Probably won’t go with the hipergaro but I’ll keep it in consideration. Thanks😁

Cool... the nanobox looks really good but very high priced. 

I like the nanobox but really want to go hoodless. I’m going to get an ato to combat the codensation. I may look into getting the nanobox with the gooseneck, but it doesn’t look that much better than the ai prime. Is this light worth the extra $100? 

Maybe and maybe not. That's kind of a personal choice. Both great lights. I stick with nanobox because Dave is easy to work with. He fixed my light when my cat used it as a surfboard and will upgrade the LEDs and such. Ofc I had to pay as parts don't grow on trees but was a lot cheaper than buying new again. He can do custom skins and paintjobs or wood to match stands...wait time is long sometimes. He has the mint LEDs which some love. I think it's just depends what you are looking for in a light.

I would suggest you look for builds of tanks using each type of light.

6 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Maybe and maybe not. That's kind of a personal choice. Both great lights. I stick with nanobox because Dave is easy to work with. He fixed my light when my cat used it as a surfboard and will upgrade the LEDs and such. Ofc I had to pay as parts don't grow on trees but was a lot cheaper than buying new again. He can do custom skins and paintjobs or wood to match stands...wait time is long sometimes. He has the mint LEDs which some love. I think it's just depends what you are looking for in a light.

I would suggest you look for builds of tanks using each type of light.

Thanks... will for sure be doing more research and seeing what other people have done with these lights.