Cultivated Reef

Lugol’s solution as a new coral dip?

Roachant

Hi, 

I have a bottle of lugols solution and was wondering if I can use that as a dip for new corals, specifically will it kill flatworms and other parasites? I tried finding info online and I read that many people use it as a dip but nothing that I saw mentioned it killing pests.

Should I use something else like coralRx?

I prefer Two Little Fishies Revive as a coral dip. People are also having tremendous success with hard to kill pests using bayer advanced insect control. Search youtube for bayer advanced coral dip to learn about how to use it properly.

Lugols key ingredient, as you know, is iodine. Iodine can be useful as a coral dip, especially with injured and/or sick corals. But, iodine based treatments can also be very toxic to corals if used incorrectly. Keep searching for iodine based treatment methods on youtube to figure out what lugols is good for.

• Like 1

I would try Bayers but it’s hard to get here in Canada. I could try to pick it up in the US and drive it across but the border agents might not be too happy about it 🤨.