Cultivated Reef

B's Mini Reef Bro Utopia

jbb

Finally got a reply from Bluefish tonight.  

Original email was sent 12/6 with a follow up from Nanobox on 12/16 

Here is the reply.  

Hi Bryan,

If you'd like to send it in I would be happy to have a look at it for you.  If there were no network changes and it is not able to blinkup, it does sound like a hardware problem.

Thanks,
Spencer

• 2 weeks later...

So I need some input 

Mini tank is chugging along great except for lighting.  The stock light is not cutting it, the corals are alive but have lost almost all of their color. And I've basically maxed out what I can put in it . So its basically upgrade the light and LET IT GROWWWWW , LET IT GROW !!! 

I have a tide that I can use (just need to replace bluefish) 

Or I can retire the mini and move everything to my 3g UNS tank that never made it to the pico contest. The 3g would still run a nanobox light. 

What should I do  ? 

Pics of each below 

20200109_192620.thumb.jpg.a368db7ba6a8c56c7e33ba4e58b6a467.jpg

20190325_103829.jpg.df0715945e6d7edf200fe1289c9fc70f.thumb.jpg.4399afcc7465fc07933c16d8deb4b4aa.jpg

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

So I need some input 

Mini tank is chugging along great except for lighting.  The stock light is not cutting it, the corals are alive but have lost almost all of their color. And I've basically maxed out what I can put in it . So its basically upgrade the light and LET IT GROWWWWW , LET IT GROW !!! 

I have a tide that I can use (just need to replace bluefish) 

Or I can retire the mini and move everything to my 3g UNS tank that never made it to the pico contest. The 3g would still run a nanobox light. 

What should I do  ? 

Pics of each below 

20200109_192620.thumb.jpg.a368db7ba6a8c56c7e33ba4e58b6a467.jpg

20190325_103829.jpg.df0715945e6d7edf200fe1289c9fc70f.thumb.jpg.4399afcc7465fc07933c16d8deb4b4aa.jpg

I use for my Evo, and Stinky has said he also uses, this:

MICMOL - Smart LED Aquarium Light - Aqua CC 30W Planted Programmable with Full Spectrum for Freshwater Fish Shrimp Nano Tank ... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MFJ5VYG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_2m4mEb105KSD4

It is never too hot, never makes me troubleshoot it, and has seemed to get good results. But it may be too big for that teeny tank. I’ve seen others use ones like this:

SSWB Nano Coral Light for Marine Water LED Aquarium Lights Saltwater Nano Fish Tank Light with Remote Control Reef Light (Saltwater Version) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T5RWWP6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Io4mEbZPWJ7J5

Maybe its size would be better for that little tank? 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

I use for my Evo, and Stinky has said he also uses, this:

MICMOL - Smart LED Aquarium Light - Aqua CC 30W Planted Programmable with Full Spectrum for Freshwater Fish Shrimp Nano Tank ... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MFJ5VYG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_2m4mEb105KSD4

It is never too hot, never makes me troubleshoot it, and has seemed to get good results. But it may be too big for that teeny tank. I’ve seen others use ones like this:

SSWB Nano Coral Light for Marine Water LED Aquarium Lights Saltwater Nano Fish Tank Light with Remote Control Reef Light (Saltwater Version) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T5RWWP6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Io4mEbZPWJ7J5

Maybe its size would be better for that little tank? 

So the lighting would have to either be the tide or stock if I keep with this tank. The canopy for the tank is cut exactly to the fixture size. 

I have multiple lighting options on hand for the 3g. With the size of the mini I am extremely limited.  

• Sad 1
8 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

So the lighting would have to either be the tide or stock if I keep with this tank. The canopy for the tank is cut exactly to the fixture size. 

I have multiple lighting options on hand for the 3g. With the size of the mini I am extremely limited.  

That sucks you might have to take it apart! It’s so tidy and cute!

• Like 1
On 1/31/2020 at 7:33 AM, debbeach13 said:

Keep the mini it just turned one year old. I went back and looked got wet 1/28/19. SAVE the UNS you know there will probably be a pico contest soon.

Did you see it posted!! 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Another pump dead . 😔

This tank is done, that is 3 pumps so far in just over a year. They are cheap, but there is no way I'm going to keep buying pumps for it. 

Everything will be moved to the contest tank 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Wow 1
12 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

Another pump dead . 😔

This tank is done, that is 3 pumps so far in just over a year. They are cheap, but there is no way I'm going to keep buying pumps for it. 

You have to keep water in it.  Pumps like being submerged in water. 

1 hour ago, jbb_00 said:

Another pump dead . 😔

That sucks. 

The tanks are so cute but more of a pain in the butt than I thought they would be. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

That sucks. 

The tanks are so cute but more of a pain in the butt than I thought they would be. 

If not for the pump issue, I would keep it running . I've been doing 1 (100%) water change a month on it and very random feeding.  Pretty much a hands off tank . Easiest tank I've ever had.  

• Like 2

Talking to another person with this tank, I wonder if the tubing for the flow mod put too much head / back pressure on the pumps and burnt them out prematurely.  His has been running good for over a year but is FW and no flow mod . 

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Did you figure out bluefish issue?  I’m struggling with one of mine. Wondering if it’s worth it to buy another controller. 

Will send you a PM 

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
2 hours ago, kimberbee said:

I mean, the filtration is all there so it looks like all you have to do is add water!!

These are all valid points 

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...