Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

How clean should I wash coral sand?

MK1623

Hi, 

I am upgrading my fish tank and started to wash the coral sand. Last time I did was much less and I washed till they become really clean. But this time, It is rather a lot and it seems it is a never ending task and water become cloudy still and not become really clean.  

Then, I have a question to ask.  How clean should I wash the coral sand? Does it affect water quality if I do not clean it really really well? 

7C741D4F-1A59-40A5-8359-6C854FA01C7E.jpeg

C418049F-FDBD-4548-A2A7-532F39C95B92.jpeg

CA25278A-B731-4332-B22C-3A119862C8F5.jpeg

7B26BD9A-AD6C-484F-A0A2-6B23623D1F0C.jpeg

For new sand, I usually keep rinsing it until I can see the sand through several inches of stirred up water (but still a bit cloudy).  The pic with the wisk looks too cloudy for my tastes.  BTW, I tend to use tap water to rinse it (with maybe a final rinse with RO water, just to get rid of most of the tap water).  I'll put a bag of sand in a 5 gallon bucket and stir it up with my hand, pour out the cloudy water, and repeat.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, specore said:

I wouldn't stress about it with new sand.  I personally just give it a quick rinse and move on. 

Thank you.  They are more or less clean, so I will stop here!!! 

AC134394-B68C-4724-97B7-F40CE9335D58.jpeg

2 minutes ago, seabass said:

For new sand, I usually keep rinsing it until I can see the sand through several inches of stirred up water (but still a bit cloudy).  The pic with the wisk looks too cloudy for my tastes.  BTW, I tend to use tap water to rinse it (with maybe a final rinse with RO water, just to get rid of most of the tap water).  I'll put a bag of sand in a 5 gallon bucket and stir it up with my hand, pour out the cloudy water, and repeat.

Thank you!!!

I cleaned the sand which I can see from several inches.  So, I will stop here.  Thank you.  I washed the sand which becomes about 4cm of sand.  Is it enough for better to have 5cm? 

795706A7-3D91-4D44-A30A-AAC7F6E33DF2.jpeg

32D1845C-F388-4F98-A481-33ED9BA932DF.jpeg

7 minutes ago, seabass said:

I personally prefer a depth of 4cm vs 5cm.

So do you prefer 4cm? Then, I will have 4cm, too!!  Then, first task of washing sand has finished. It is still long way to go.  Thank you.  

• Like 1
13 hours ago, FLARGUE said:

You can always clean even more later during water changes, with a substrate vacuum

Thank you.  Do you recommend any good a substrate vacuum?  I have one but it is not really good one.  

4 hours ago, MK1623 said:

Thank you.  Do you recommend any good a substrate vacuum?  I have one but it is not really good one.  

I just use the basic aqueon gravel cleaner. Works great when you use your thumb to control water flow, like a water hose.

I got a small plastic ball valve that just fits the vinyl vacuum tube at the local hardware store and adjust the flow to keep from vacuuming the sand out of the tank, but turn it over in the tube as I vacuum. I do 50% of the tank every other water change and it seems to work well enough.

• Like 1