Top Shelf Aquatics

HOB Refugium

ccejka

I purchased a Finnex HOB Refugium with LED light I put some extra live rock I had and Chaeto algae in it. My heater is also in there right now. This is my first saltwater tank and just seeing if there is anything else I should add or let nature do its thing?

1112181626c.jpg

Edited by ccejka

In addition to biological filtration live rock and sand also collects a ton of detritus... So yes, too much can be a bad thing.  It really only takes 5-10 pounds of live rock in a 20g, anything else would just be for looks and/or structure to mount corals.  In fact I blast the live rock in my tank at least every other day and am always surprised how much stuff  collects in the nooks and crannies in a day or two.  

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, specore said:

In addition to biological filtration live rock and sand also collects a ton of detritus... So yes, too much can be a bad thing.  It really only takes 5-10 pounds of live rock in a 20g, anything else would just be for looks and/or structure to mount corals.  In fact I blast the live rock in my tank at least every other day and am always surprised how much stuff  collects in the nooks and crannies in a day or two.  

I edit the post to keep it about the bio logical filtration and start a thread in the system sorry for any confusion.... such a FNG move.

Just now, specore said:

I personally would remove the pieces in the refugium

Just run the chaeto algea by its self?

1 minute ago, ccejka said:

I edit the post to keep it about the bio logical filtration and start a thread in the system sorry for any confusion.... such a FNG move.

Just run the chaeto algea by its self?

That's all I run in my refugium section