Pod Your Reef

Universal skimmer

hawkingcolorado

4 hours ago, hawkingcolorado said:

Hi Guys

Put this on my AIO peninnsula, but still have film. Am I doing something wrong?

We would need more details but adjust the surface skimmer up or down to put surface tension on the incoming water.  This is what pulls the surface film into the intake.

A picture would help as well from a few angles.  Thanks.

Basically set it so water just enters over the bottom of the teeth.  If the water is too close to the top of the skimmer there will not be any surface tension.

it08ss-adjustable.jpg

57 minutes ago, hawkingcolorado said:

If I raise it like you suggest the return chamber runs dry, and it raised the water level too much

This is where I have it now

1541967769100-678292314.jpg

The return runs dry because you raised the water level up by putting the teeth in.  Just add a little more saltwater till it's at the level in the chamber that it needs to be. 

• Like 1
22 hours ago, hawkingcolorado said:

If I raise it like you suggest the return chamber runs dry, and it raised the water level too much

This is where I have it now

1541967769100-678292314.jpg

It is too low.  Raise it slightly so that most of the teeth are above the surface, but not all you will have to experiment which level works in your aquarium. 

You most likely will have to add new water to the rear chamber while the pump is on to bring the level up.

• 2 weeks later...
hawkingcolorado

Tried a bunch of times, but turns out raising it to expose more teeth ( more surface tension) drains the pump return chamber and slows the overflow rate enough to overflow the tank.

Doesn't work on my 20g IM penninsula. It does raise the water level a little, which makes look better IMHO.