ReefCleaners.org

2 tanks in same room / 2 different temps - QUESTION

MOB122

Tank Temperature question: I have a IM10 gallon that's been running for roughly 6-7 months and an IM25 that's been cycling for roughly 3-4 weeks. Both tanks are in the same room - right next to each other.

The air conditioning in my finished garage/entertainment/tank room is consistent at 74-75.

Both tanks have Eheim Jaeger heaters - IM10 is a 50W and IM25 is a 75W.

The IM10 is heated and runs at an average of 77, but when I take the heater out to do more thorough cleaning on a monthly basis the water temp doesn't hold 77 and does drop.

The IM25 is heated as well, but the heater is set to 75 and has never turned on. The tank runs between 78 and 79 on its own since it started cycling. It doesn't seem as if I could get it to run cooler without a chiller - which isn't something I want to do. 78-79 isn't exactly bad, but I'm concerned about not having controllability.

Why is the IM25 running hotter?

tank.jpg

You still have controllability if the water ever does drop.  It will maintain that 78-79.  To control it in any other situation, you would need a chiller or ice probe.

Some heaters aren't 100% calibrated which COULD be why it's not registering, but you also need to remember that more water= more stability.  Water likes to hold/take heat.  

I personally have run all my tanks at "78" which usually means it is at 80* as far as my rkl temp probe is concerned.  75 honestly sounds to low for comfort for me for a reef tank, but to each his own.

Edited by patback
Speling iz hard.
That dank Reefer

I run the same heaters, they definitely need to be calibrated which I imagine you did. Still doesn’t answer why the tank runs warmer. Possible the pump is heating the water more than in the 10g. Are you positive it’s not turning on, it is just a little light after all.

78-79 is not hot. It's what most run their reefs at. Why would you need a chiller?

There are a slew of reasons why 2 different tanks have different temps.

Tank size, equipment on in tank, heater not being calibrated etc etc

My 5.5g is always 78, steady. Aqueon pri, no controller, in between a sliding door and window.

25g 77.8-78.4, same room as 5.5g but not near any windows, inkbird controlled, neotherm heater.

Wasn't worried about the temp so much as I was the possibility of the tank running even hotter than ideal temps without the ability to control. BUT - in the end. this concluded with me being a goof and overlooking something easy and obvious!

This might be a stupid question.....but how do you "calibrate" a heater?? I have a neotherm so no calibration needed....what's the benefit of having a heater that has to be calibrated??

That dank Reefer
1 hour ago, dferrari13 said:

This might be a stupid question.....but how do you "calibrate" a heater?? I have a neotherm so no calibration needed....what's the benefit of having a heater that has to be calibrated??

They have two dials. Basically you set it to the temp you want (in a bucket) then you set the second dial to the temp it actually gets too, and adjust the first dial accordingly.

1 hour ago, dferrari13 said:

Most heaters (if not all) cant really be actually calibrated.  But if you have a reliable thermometer and consistantly see a temp of let's say, 79.  But your heaters gauge reads out 76, you sort of gauge it yourself that "76" actually is 79. Low to mid end Hobby heaters are more of a scale rather than an actual reading,just like most window air conditioners.  

My titanium heater (cant remember the brand off the top of my head) has it's own probe and it's really consistant, but is 1* south of my rkl.  When you see that either number wanders, that's when you throw it out and buy a new one.  

I go by my rkl reading.  The heater is actually my only thing I have hooked up to it.  I like to play it safe when it comes to things like backup plans. 

4 minutes ago, That dank Reefer said:

They have two dials. Basically you set it to the temp you want (in a bucket) then you set the second dial to the temp it actually gets too, and adjust the first dial accordingly.

That's news to me. Interesting. I haven't seen anything like that before. 

On 11/11/2018 at 7:55 PM, Clown79 said:

Eheim jagger heaters have the 2 dials and need calibration.

I actually did not know this. Maybe that's why it kept running so hot lol. I might dig it out soon and see if I can figure it out. 

Yep, the Eheim/Jager heaters have the dials. I utilize 2 slightly undersized heaters which are then controlled by the Apex. I have a couple of extras on hand just in the event that either heater fails, but usually doesn't happen since the tank is in my office. Both heaters typically don't turn on at the same time and holds the tank within a 76.4° - 77.4° range with the average coming in at 76.8°F. 

image.thumb.png.0896824252888a2a52dcf28af7c8aa80.png

Depending on which fish I'm currently keeping, the tank temps do change. With the case of anthias, I've been down to the 72°F range before acclimating them back up to slightly higher temps. You can also run your reef tanks warmer into the 80s as well. Cal Academy varied their seasonal temps to get their sps to spawn and I saw temps in the 84° range in their seasonal chart. Whatever temps you decide to keep the tank at, just make sure that it's consistent and changes are gradual.