Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Extremely Disappointed with Nanobox

Aquaman6410

I purchased a Nanobox Large Retrofit LED kit for my biocube 32 in November 2017. The lights themselves seemed to be great. Nice color and plenty powerful. However, I've had issue after issue with the lights with not much resolution a year later. 

The first issue was the fan. It was super loud and the tank is the living room. It drive my wife nuts as we heard it over the tv when volume was lower. I had to get it fixed. After some back and forth with @DaveFason, he sent a new fan as we thought maybe its this fan. The new fan had the same noise. I thought maybe its just the biocube hood but others use it and don't report the issue. Who knows. I ended researching fans and finding one with similar CFM ratings but lower decibel rating. I bought it myself and put that in place. Ahhhh, quiet! Maybe the stock fan was just loud enough and sound was reverberating through the heat sink and off the hood of the biocube. I don't know honestly.

Everything was awesome from here until April. One day, I started smelling weird fumes from my tank. I discovered the left array charred the splash guard of the biocube. I followed the instructions of installation perfectly. I even worked with Dave when troubleshooting the fan and made sure light clearance was perfect, emailing pics of measurements, etc. I'm a pretty handy person as well. Repair electronics as a hobby at times. I figured, maybe another freak think. Luckily no fire or major damage to anything, just the biocube splash guard. I wasn't sure how easy it would be to get a new splash guard because at least at the time, coralife didn't sell the one for the 32 separately. I suggested exchanging the retro kit for a standalone duo unit so we can eliminate any more problems if the hood was an odd factor, especially if I can't get a new splash guard. Dave said he would be okay with that, just pay the difference for machining, etc. I didn't have to go that route as Coralife support was awesome and sent me a new one right away. Replaced the splash guard but ended up backing the light further away from it now just to be super safe. I had to remove some spacers I picked up and used when I worked with Dave on dialing in perfect measurements on light/fan clearance when troubleshooting the fan noise issue. Again, we had some troubles but were back up and running. 

My next issue and current unresolved issue is my violet LEDs are no longer working at all. This happened on July 25th. I was officially frustrated and done with this retrofit kit. Maybe it was the hood and something about it was off. Maybe it was the kit and an odd defect somewhere. Who knows but I know Dave warranties the lights for 2 years so I figured he would stand behind the product. He was understanding and offered to exchange the lights and I would just pay the difference for a stand alone duo unit. On July 30th, he said he would start building the duo unit and we would do the exchange once done. I went ahead and prepared for this change and got a top made for the BioCube so that I would deal with less evaporation and fish jumping but figured it would be fine, this might be a better option in the long run to avoid any issues with the hood or the retro kit or whatever was causing the issues. I was going to have to sink a little bit more into a lid and the lights but I thought it was worth it to avoid any more variables in my setup. 

Its now November again and I'll still have the lights with the non working violet LEDs. Imln these past several months, I emailed checking for updates every once in a while. I figured it might take 4-6 weeks based on the average turnaround and build time. I checked in via email on August 25th for an ETA and got a response we could do the swap that week. I said that would be awesome but then never heard anything else. Sent a few more emails every once in a while to see what happened. On Sept 17, I finally heard back stating he was not sure why I didn't get his last email but he had a run of boards laid out wrong. He was getting new ones that Friday and he would have my light finished and shipped that Tuesday. Again, I got my hopes up. But again, Tuesday came and went with no contact. I waited at least a week, hoping maybe he just got busy. I emailed again to follow up on Sept 28th, October 1st, and October 5th...no responses. I'm a really laid back, patient person and am very understanding but this just didn't seem right. 

Later that day, I got a text from Dave saying he wasn't sure why his emails weren't getting to me but texting would be better. Awesome, I got hopeful that maybe there was some weird email issue and this can avoid it. But the text had more bad news, there was a problem with an led array order again. But he'd have new ones arriving Wednesday. He said the Duo was done and just needed the arrays. He said he would text me Wednesday when they arrive. Wednesday came and went, no text. I waited until October 16th (again, I'm a patient person, plenty of extra time cause I know how life can be). I got a text back on the 19th saying he was getting back up and running for to no power from the hurricane. As a Florida resident, I understand completely! But he said he is back to normal now and asked for my shipping address. I texted it back and haven't heard anything since. Again, gave it a few weeks then followed up via text on November 5th, 7th, and yesterday. My last text yesterday was simply stating I've given up hope on this whole thing. 

I really wanted to love this product, use more of nanobox products on other tanks like my planted aquariums too, but this experience made that impossible. I'm still with a non fully working light and feel like I'm out money on this product. I just wish I would get better communication and updates. This has been the strangest interaction with any product vendor and I'm guessing I'm just going to move on and buy another light and take a loss here. 

Even if the light wasn't going to be exchanged or replaced, just say so and I'd be less frustrated and upset. I feel like I was just made a fool. Also, just simply respond to a email or text in a reasonable time. I follow the social media and Instagram accounts because I was genuinely a fan of the products and I would see pictures and updates being posted so I knew the company didn't disappear and everything was alright. I just wouldn't hear back on my inquiries. Just keep me out of the dark and I'm happy and extremely understanding. I won't share the emails or texts because I don't know if that's allowed or appropriate but if I need to provide then as proof, I can do so. 

That is my experience with Nanobox. I really love the idea of the company, the products seem good, and Dave honestly seems like a nice guy but this experience has been terrible and I still have no resolution. 

Thank you. 

zamboni200000

I had some issues as well.  It was about 4 years ago.... I had asked if he had any lights with minor damage I could get cheaper....  He replied with a light and how much.  When I asked nicely if I could get it any cheaper he became offended.  I ended up buying a brand new light instead and when I went to check on the status he seemed very offended felt like how dare I check on the status of his mighty light.  Very unfriendly.  The light itself was fine when it finally arrived but I've bought probably a dozen lights since from other companies that are just as good and will never go back.

15 hours ago, Aquaman6410 said:

@DaveFason I will await your message on further instructions. Looking forward to resolving this. Thank you

Message was sent ~ 4PM yesterday. Let me know! Feel free to message on here as well. 

-Dave

• Like 1

Perfect, I've texted you back @DaveFason. Just a heads up, I didn't get your message until after 9pm that night. I'm not sure if there is some sort if connectivity problem as you mentioned you messaged around 4.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Glad to hear this. I have seen alot of problems with the nanobox lights lately with posts on here but I am not deterred. The color these things produce is unmatched. I'm not unsatisfied with my current lighting but if I can imagineer a way to hang the ATI/nanobox hybrid I'm getting it when I can justify spending the cash. If not then I'm going with two duos. I really am looking forward to having nanobox over my tank

• Like 1