NanoRox

General help with Acans

Ever look back at old pics of your tank and go "wow...that coral really looked much better back then"?  I had that moment today as I was looking at older pics of my tank.  Universally all of my Acans are failing to progress and in fact some are gone or are on the way out.   My other corals (monti's, Euphillia, other SPS and even zoas are looking great).  My Acans not so much and as an aside my pipe organ coral is not well either,  

My thinking is that my nitrates and phosphates are too low.  They have always been low since I added my chaeto reactor.  Neither register in at home testing and mail in testing shows almost zero for both.  This is despite the fact I dose Nitrate (10 ml every 2 weeks). Can that be a cause?  I also got lazy and stopped feeding my Acans like I used to so I have recently started back but their feeding response is not nearly what they used to be.  

I could really use some Acan words of wisdom.  Thanks!

personally i have never kept them but I would just start feeding them again and hope for the best. 

Im following this thread for when I get acans in the future

I'd think about spot feeding and a nutrition additive. Red Sea makes a product called Reef Energy that looks promising.

In with my anecdotes. My nitrates don't register but Acans are doing great still. One of them doesn't seem to be growing very fast compared to the others but anyway.

I use to feed to a lot but I don't so much anymore. I definitely broadcast feed maybe once a week and target once every 3 weeks or so.

Edited by SelectedByNature

I was broadcast feeding but then had a horrible vermotid snail issue so I am having to starve them out which has brought me back to spot feeding.  I think that may be what’s required here.  I hope because they seem to be languishing fairly quickly.  

• Sad 1

I find acans go through growth spurts. Mine will pop off new heads regularly and then slow down.

They don't like direct high light or high flow, this can make them retract and slowly degrade.

They do enjoy being fed.

I broadcast feed 1 time a week and then the day of waterchange I spot feed.

10 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I find acans go through growth spurts. Mine will pop off new heads regularly and then slow down.

They don't like direct high light or high flow, this can make them retract and slowly degrade.

They do enjoy being fed.

I broadcast feed 1 time a week and then the day of waterchange I spot feed.

Ok.  Good info.  I think my flow is ok but I really do think they might need to be fed.  Will see how they respond.  

8 minutes ago, NanoRox said:

Ok.  Good info.  I think my flow is ok but I really do think they might need to be fed.  Will see how they respond.  

Spot feeding them really helps with healing and growth.

Turn off all water movement though.

I often spot feed in 2 ways.

Mix reef roids and frozen cyclops with small amount of water, making it a paste like substance. I then use a syringe to feed each head the paste.

Or I will feed them pellets or mysis.

9 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Spot feeding them really helps with healing and growth.

Turn off all water movement though.

I often spot feed in 2 ways.

Mix reef roids and frozen cyclops with small amount of water, making it a paste like substance. I then use a syringe to feed each head the paste.

Or I will feed them pellets or mysis.

Awesome.  Will do that tomorrow.  I’ve beem feeding them pellets up to this point.  Thanks you!!! 

5 minutes ago, NanoRox said:

Awesome.  Will do that tomorrow.  I’ve beem feeding them pellets up to this point.  Thanks you!!! 

You're welcome.

Dive in and share your thoughts!

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recommended Discussions