Cultivated Reef

Fluval 13.5 EVO

ThatReefGuy718

ThatReefGuy718

Ok so I am going to be getting a Fluval Evo 13.5 and I wanted to no what is the best way to go with the filtration. Should I set it up with what it comes with or do something else if I should do something else please tell me what to do and what brand and filtration works best or what you think I should do. Thank you!!

zamboni200000

I have a media basket in chamber one..... running filter floss, chemipure blue, and purigen.

Chamber 2 - I plugged the hole which improved flow and I made it into a mini refugium with chaeto.

Chamber 3 is my heater and pump.

Tank is about a year old and have never had any green algae not even a spot.

Whatever you do, I highly recommend a media basket like this:

https://intankaquatics.com/fluval-evo-13-5-chamber-one-media-basket-1/

Good luck!

• Like 1

Everyone runs different things in their aio tanks.

Ditching stock filtration is the way most go as sponges and bioballs are not beneficial.

Buying or diy a media rack is the best option.

I like to use filter floss(purchased in bulk), I cut to size. Its changed with every waterchange and 1 day mid week.

I prefer using a regular carbon vs chemipures. I personally didn't find any benefit to the cost besides it being pre bagged.

I use Kent carbon(next to no dust), I put in a media bag and change every 2 weeks. I use less than more.

I also buy purigen and bag it myself. This is changed when it goes brown. 

Phosguard I keep on hand and use very small Quantities as needed. 

For myself I prefer bagging my own media, I can control qty used and changed more often. Media doesn't last very long, it does get exhausted and then becomes a place for detritus to settle.