Cultivated Reef

Official Unofficial 2018 Secret Santa Nano-Reef Gift Exchange 🎅⛄🌲

jbb

14 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

some of Harold’s Hardwood

Dafuc did you just say?

Packed my package last night into a small box...like 9 x 6 x 4.  Took it to the post office and they wanted $18 to ship it.  WTF.  Took the package home to empty it out and I am just gonna send an empty box.  MAYBE I will throw in some floss.  Maybe...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
righttirefire
1 hour ago, ninjamyst said:

Packed my package last night into a small box...like 9 x 6 x 4.  Took it to the post office and they wanted $18 to ship it.  WTF.  Took the package home to empty it out and I am just gonna send an empty box.  MAYBE I will throw in some floss.  Maybe...

I know if you can get it into a flat rate box, They have different sizes, they become decent.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, righttirefire said:

I know if you can get it into a flat rate box, They have different sizes, they become decent.

yea, that's what I am doing, which is ridiculous.  I purposely packed everything into a small box hoping to save money.  Now I moved everything into their flat rate box that's 5x bigger.  Their small box is tiny, their medium box is HUGE, and their large box is just a tad bigger.  Makes no freaking sense.  

righttirefire
5 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

yea, that's what I am doing, which is ridiculous.  I purposely packed everything into a small box hoping to save money.  Now I moved everything into their flat rate box that's 5x bigger.  Their small box is tiny, their medium box is HUGE, and their large box is just a tad bigger.  Makes no freaking sense.  

GOVERNMENT... lol it makes sense... to someone

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

Weird...mine was 11 bucks priority and it wasn't a tiny box or super lightweight.

3 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

How much did the box weigh? 

4 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Then you are crazy, because a flat rate priority (2-day) medium box 11x8x6, up to 70lbs, is $13.85. 😳

yea, that's what I did.  I moved everything to a flat rate box instead.  So stupid and waste of my time.

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

yea, that's what I did.  I moved everything to a flat rate box instead.  So stupid and waste of my time.

My standard box that I ship priority is 7x7x7, $7.60-$8.20 for 1 lb. For the 3d printed stuff and such. 

ah its all part of the fun. Mine was $18ish shipped. I was going to pay for overnight but it wasn't offered the next option was 2 day guarantee for $70!!!! I knew with priority it would be there in 2 days anyways.  

• Like 3
6 hours ago, righttirefire said:

GOVERNMENT... lol it makes sense... to someone

Gooberment get it right RTF...........................

1 hour ago, slowngreen said:

ah its all part of the fun. Mine was $18ish shipped. I was going to pay for overnight but it wasn't offered the next option was 2 day guarantee for $70!!!! I knew with priority it would be there in 2 days anyways.  

Yes but it sat in the mailbox :lol:

Ok and Thanks to slowgreen!  he was my SS...........he shipped some corals and well we have a USPS big mailbox system and well I usually only check the mail once a week if I am lucky as nothing good ever shows up........well he pms me and asks if I got  package......um nope I didnt......hey in the end it all worked out as they survived..........Bell got snacks and I also got what looked like the slap chop...........remember those things :unsure: he mentioned coral food but I am just to lazy at the moment to do that maybe someday.....

Anyway a few pics digi is in the 100 and shroom in the 14.......also got a leather but its in the fuge with a few other corals and well no pics of that as the glass is covered with algae.....

Pics suck but you get the idea..........

IMG_6202 - Copy.jpg

IMG_6203.jpg

• Like 7
  • Wow 1
12 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

Just FYI for future - there's a little bit of relation between size and cost, but mostly it's distance. That's why the flat rate boxes can go up to a huge amount of weight - because USPS couldn't care less how much it weighs. The change in fuel cost by weight is negligible when you are moving packages by the semi-load, but the cost in fuel is huge by distance. It's also why priority shipping vs. something that'll take a week or more is only a dollar or two difference - speed doesn't affect cost, gas does. (even "over night" is only expensive because it costs a lot to fuel a plane)

• Like 2

Really enjoying watching the gifts start to roll in! I always enjoyed following this even in past years when I didn't participate.

I see a bunch of people know who their SS is. When are we supposed to reveal that, or do you put it on your packaging or ??

@spectra - I feel ya with not getting your mail. I don't get mine either and people always tell me it's weird, but ~shrug~ there's nothing (usually) that comes in the mail that I need. Bills get paid online because I live in 2018, and anything else of importance gets emailed. My mailman gets pissy about it sometimes. He left a post-it on my door saying "if you don't pick up your mail I'm going to tell my boss". I didn't have it in me to break his heart and point out that his boss isn't my boss and so doesn't mean anything to me. lol I try to remember to pick it up once a month or so but if I'm honest it's usually about every other month, and when I open the mailbox things are shoved in and crumpled (by my mailman's clear rage lol) and end up falling out all over the place.

• Haha 2
3 hours ago, Mazzy21 said:

Really enjoying watching the gifts start to roll in! I always enjoyed following this even in past years when I didn't participate.

I see a bunch of people know who their SS is. When are we supposed to reveal that, or do you put it on your packaging or ??

@spectra - I feel ya with not getting your mail. I don't get mine either and people always tell me it's weird, but ~shrug~ there's nothing (usually) that comes in the mail that I need. Bills get paid online because I live in 2018, and anything else of importance gets emailed. My mailman gets pissy about it sometimes. He left a post-it on my door saying "if you don't pick up your mail I'm going to tell my boss". I didn't have it in me to break his heart and point out that his boss isn't my boss and so doesn't mean anything to me. lol I try to remember to pick it up once a month or so but if I'm honest it's usually about every other month, and when I open the mailbox things are shoved in and crumpled (by my mailman's clear rage lol) and end up falling out all over the place.

I just got mine last night......box was full and I think out of all of it only 5 small envelopes were even worth shredding........

If I wait to long and it gets to full they will take it back and I have to pick it up at the local hub.......

20 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

It’s the post office what do you expect? 

• Christopher Marks unpinned this topic