Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Skinny glass tank recommendations?

Gourami Swami

Gourami Swami

Hello NR!

I have this space in my bathroom above my toilet, that I would like to put a nano tank in. The space is about 2 feet long, but is only 7.5" wide. I am looking for any recommendations for a skinny enough glass tank to go in this space, that is at least around 3 gallons, since I will be using it to breed shrimp. I have some I have been looking at, and they all would work, but just wondering if there isn't something even better. Ideally it would be a glass rimless box, something like 12-20"x7"x10"

Here is a picture of the space:

temp.thumb.jpg.c46d82a7b7d0342211a6db6a4c93b3e5.jpg

The little tank there is only temporary, for some snails that needed refuge from my cichlids.

Here are the tanks I have already considered:

Option 1: Fluval spec V. This would be the perfect dimensions, and AIO which is a plus to me aesthetically. Only downsides are that I am not crazy about the design of it, would rather the tank was just rimless glass. And, it is kind of pricey for a 5 gallon tank. Though, I would get it for $70 through my job. Also I wouldn't need the light, will use the one in picture (finnex planted +)

Option 2: https://www.amazon.com/Penn-Plax-Aquarium-Maximum-Viewing/dp/B0069RR2CC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1541525482&sr=8-4&keywords=2.7+gallon+aquarium&dpID=41E5pivYKHL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

This thing would fit, but the filter looks like a piece of crap, and it's tall rather than long, so not ideal. I do like the price and how it is just rimless glass.

Option 3: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/3-gallon-rimless-aquarium-mr-aqua.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI74n-uqbA3gIVGAaGCh1aEgi8EAQYASABEgIgavD_BwE

I think this thing looks great, and would fit in the space. Only downsides are that it comes with nothing, for 50 bucks, and that the HOB filter would need to hang off the side of the tank, probably not the greatest look.

I'm leaning toward option 3, but does anybody know a glass rimless tank that is 7.5" or narrower, that won't break the bank? I have seen the bookshelf ones on BRS, but I'm not spending 100$ on a 3 gallon tank lol. I know this is a tall order, but I figured if anybody would have something I hadn't seen, it would be the people of NR 🙂

Thanks

HookedOnAquariums
1 hour ago, OPtasia said:

Option #4: Measure the space and get some 1/4" thick glass cut at the hardware store. Glue together with aquarium silicone. Boom. Done.

Exactly. Its quite easy tbh, ive resealed a bunch and am in the process of building a tank rn.

Gourami Swami

Yes, that would work, and I have resealed aquariums as well. But, would cost around the same as just buying one of my cheaper options, and would be more effort lol, rather just buy one. Thanks for suggestion tho!

Gourami Swami
4 hours ago, specore said:

Such an odd place for a tank 🙂

Yes, that's kind of why I want to do it, usually don't see aquariums in bathrooms, and that larble countertop seems like a great spot to me. Plus, I have 3 other tanks taking up the prime real estate in my studio apartment, and if I jam any more in plain view, every visitor will probably think I'm nuts. Haha

10 hours ago, Gourami Swami said:

Hello NR!

I have this space in my bathroom above my toilet, that I would like to put a nano tank in. The space is about 2 feet long, but is only 7.5" wide. I am looking for any recommendations for a skinny enough glass tank to go in this space, that is at least around 3 gallons, since I will be using it to breed shrimp. I have some I have been looking at, and they all would work, but just wondering if there isn't something even better. Ideally it would be a glass rimless box, something like 12-20"x7"x10"

Here is a picture of the space:

temp.thumb.jpg.c46d82a7b7d0342211a6db6a4c93b3e5.jpg

The little tank there is only temporary, for some snails that needed refuge from my cichlids.

Here are the tanks I have already considered:

Option 1: Fluval spec V. This would be the perfect dimensions, and AIO which is a plus to me aesthetically. Only downsides are that I am not crazy about the design of it, would rather the tank was just rimless glass. And, it is kind of pricey for a 5 gallon tank. Though, I would get it for $70 through my job. Also I wouldn't need the light, will use the one in picture (finnex planted +)

Option 2: https://www.amazon.com/Penn-Plax-Aquarium-Maximum-Viewing/dp/B0069RR2CC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1541525482&sr=8-4&keywords=2.7+gallon+aquarium&dpID=41E5pivYKHL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

This thing would fit, but the filter looks like a piece of crap, and it's tall rather than long, so not ideal. I do like the price and how it is just rimless glass.

Option 3: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/3-gallon-rimless-aquarium-mr-aqua.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI74n-uqbA3gIVGAaGCh1aEgi8EAQYASABEgIgavD_BwE

I think this thing looks great, and would fit in the space. Only downsides are that it comes with nothing, for 50 bucks, and that the HOB filter would need to hang off the side of the tank, probably not the greatest look.

I'm leaning toward option 3, but does anybody know a glass rimless tank that is 7.5" or narrower, that won't break the bank? I have seen the bookshelf ones on BRS, but I'm not spending 100$ on a 3 gallon tank lol. I know this is a tall order, but I figured if anybody would have something I hadn't seen, it would be the people of NR 🙂

Thanks

I would choose the Mr Aqua tank.  I think it would look nice. 🙂

I have the 2.7 gallon Penn Plax Radius as my desktop pico, pics on my thread. Someone also had it as a pest pico that made TotM not too long ago. It's a nice little tank, especially for the price. Stock filter isn't great but may be ok for freshwater. The tall dimensions would look nice planted. It does have curved front corners. 

Gourami Swami
13 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

I would choose the Mr Aqua tank.  I think it would look nice. 🙂

Thanks for input, leaning towards that one

20 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I have the 2.7 gallon Penn Plax Radius as my desktop pico, pics on my thread. Someone also had it as a pest pico that made TotM not too long ago. It's a nice little tank, especially for the price. Stock filter isn't great but may be ok for freshwater. The tall dimensions would look nice planted. It does have curved front corners. 

Cool, yeah I love the price, 27 bucks with the filter can't beat it lol. I have seen conflicting things about the width, when you get a chance could you possibly do me a favor and measure it for me? Want to make sure it's 7.5 or under

15 hours ago, Gourami Swami said:

if I jam any more in plain view, every visitor will probably think I'm nuts. Haha

So you don't openly admit to being crazy? I do.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Gourami Swami said:

Thanks for input, leaning towards that one

Cool, yeah I love the price, 27 bucks with the filter can't beat it lol. I have seen conflicting things about the width, when you get a chance could you possibly do me a favor and measure it for me? Want to make sure it's 7.5 or under

You mean from front to back? Let me see if I can find a measuring tape. 

Gourami Swami
15 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Looks like it's about 7 3/4 inches or about 19.8 cm so it may be just a smidge too wide unless you put something under it. 

Thanks so much! That Is super helpful, the website says 8 so good to know it's under that. I'm debating if the .25" overhang would look okay.

Did see a deep blue professional 3 gallon in the lfs today which would fit perfect, but would rather it was rimless. Will keep pondering, this is probably a project for next month, focusing on the 6.8 gallon for the moment

• Like 1
Gourami Swami
On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 1:25 PM, JBM said:

So you don't openly admit to being crazy? I do.

Hahah, might make dating more difficult, got to ease them into the craziness 😉

• Haha 1

Tru Aqua 3g or 6.5g if you like bookshelf type... They both around 60 dollars and low iron.

I think we don't see fish tanks in the bathroom because some people use bathroom spray and other chemicals to clean surfaces. That and it's the bathroom so no couch to relax and watch it on.

Gourami Swami
14 hours ago, 1.0reef said:

6 gallon aquatop, 24 x 6.7 x 9 about. Fits perfectly.

You win! That looks like exactly what I need, I just found it for 70 dollars. This is why I made this thread, thanks

7 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Tru Aqua 3g or 6.5g if you like bookshelf type... They both around 60 dollars and low iron.

I think we don't see fish tanks in the bathroom because some people use bathroom spray and other chemicals to clean surfaces. That and it's the bathroom so no couch to relax and watch it on.

Those look great, they are 109 and 149 though on tru aqua's site- if you have a link where I can buy for 60, I would definitely go with one of those though!

Thanks for replies

On 11/6/2018 at 10:13 PM, Gourami Swami said:

Yes, that's kind of why I want to do it, usually don't see aquariums in bathrooms, and that larble countertop seems like a great spot to me. Plus, I have 3 other tanks taking up the prime real estate in my studio apartment, and if I jam any more in plain view, every visitor will probably think I'm nuts. Haha

I see, because they'll see one on the back of the toilet and be like "dude's totally not nuts" 🙂 

• Like 1
Gourami Swami
8 hours ago, specore said:

I see, because they'll see one on the back of the toilet and be like "dude's totally not nuts" 🙂 

You have a solid point haha. Idea I guess would be to delay the "he's totally nuts" from 5 seconds after entering the apartment, until they have to use the bathroom 😛

9 hours ago, Gourami Swami said:

You win! That looks like exactly what I need, I just found it for 70 dollars. This is why I made this thread, thanks

Those look great, they are 109 and 149 though on tru aqua's site- if you have a link where I can buy for 60, I would definitely go with one of those though!

Thanks for replies

http://www.truaqua.com/high-clarity-glass-aquarium-hca-6g.html

The ones without the kit show 65 and 72 dollars with free shipping, I guess not quiet 60 (was guessing from memory). I bought one of their tank kits for clearance for like 40 bucks before so I tend to peak at their stuff from time to time for good deals. 

Actually these are the same tanks as aquatop! Can we both win? lol

• Like 1

They probably are, originally they were mr aqua but then they stopped making them/selling them ? I dunno what happened but the same tanks mr aqua sold are now sold under other brands lol

• Like 2
Gourami Swami
4 hours ago, Tamberav said:

http://www.truaqua.com/high-clarity-glass-aquarium-hca-6g.html

The ones without the kit show 65 and 72 dollars with free shipping, I guess not quiet 60 (was guessing from memory). I bought one of their tank kits for clearance for like 40 bucks before so I tend to peak at their stuff from time to time for good deals. 

Actually these are the same tanks as aquatop! Can we both win? lol

Awesome! When I looked at it, it did not seem to be on sale, and was listed for the $149. Maybe I was not looking right lmao.

You both win! haha. Real winner is me, I knew nano reef would have a good suggestion. This is just what I was looking for, and the right price range. Thanks again guys.

• Like 1