Pod Your Reef

Changing Type of Carbon, Any Benefits?

Dreichler

So my JBJ 45 mixed reef had a pretty decent crash unfortunately.  I have been running Chemipure blue (2 11oz bags) in each media basket for about 3 years now, changed every 2-3 months.  

I like Chemipure blue, but I just recently found out about the PolypLab Carbon.  I bought some and since I’m setting up my tank again tomorow, I would like to know if the PolypLab Carbon will be able to replace the Chemipure blue?  Or is there something else I should also put in the baskets along with the PolypLab Carbon?

Currently my my plan is just filter floss and the PolypLab Carbon in each basket, what else would you guys add?   

A good carbon generally works the same.

I actually prefer Kent or Matrix carbon. I change it every 2 weeks. Costs less to buy a large container and I get the same results.

Chemipure can claim it lasts 3 + mnths but the added media is long exhausted before that.

1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

A good carbon generally works the same.

I actually prefer Kent or Matrix carbon. I change it every 2 weeks. Costs less to buy a large container and I get the same results.

Chemipure can claim it lasts 3 + mnths but the added media is long exhausted before that.

Thank you, could you explain why you prefer those carbons over others?  Also, how do you “store” your Carbon in your tank, media basket, nylon pouch, reactor, etc?  I would like to buy carbon in large quantities, but not sure how I would be able to reuse the pouches for my media baskets.

I use BRS Rox carbon. Tiny amount in a reusable nylon pouch, once a week. Stuff goes a long way. Lots of water passes without any running through the carbon. However, over the course of the day most, if not damn near all, goes through it. Water is always sparkling clear. 

Like Clown said, chemipure is pretty much all marketing. The carbon it has exhausts long before the resin does. Both are useless after 3 weeks, or less, as the media is covered by bacteria by then. I'm sure you could get 1 month+ out of a bag, provided you clean the bacteria off every week or two.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dreichler said:

Thank you, could you explain why you prefer those carbons over others?  Also, how do you “store” your Carbon in your tank, media basket, nylon pouch, reactor, etc?  I would like to buy carbon in large quantities, but not sure how I would be able to reuse the pouches for my media baskets.

@RayWhisperer explained it.

Media simply doesn't last 3 months. 

Anyone can claim it does but where's the proof?

I used chemipure. I noticed absolutely no difference except it cost more.

I now buy my purigen, carbon, and phosguard in the larger containers and bag it myself.

I use media bags or even pantyhose. 

I change my carbon every 2 weeks

Purigen when brown

Phosguard is used in small quantities when needed.

I just ditched ChemiPure Elite for a carbon from Marineland. The carbon is not the pellet type and is more like chips. I run it in an IM Desktop Media Reactor. I have noticed no ill affects from the switch. I also run Purigen in the reactor. Everything appears happy and the water is very clear.

I did look into ROX 0.8 but its potency (and price) made me shy away.

Thank you all for the responses!  One more question...  I’m gonna stick with using the PolypLab Carbon as I do wanna give it a try, but is there anything else you guys would recommend running?  I’ve never run anything BUT carbon and haven’t had problems, but now that my tank is gonna be setup again, I think maybe adding purigen would be beneficial.  Any thoughts about what else to add to the baskets?  

I run floss, carbon, and on rare occasion, GFO. GFO is only used when phosphates climb higher than desired. Other than that, I dont use anything. Simple, effective, and cheap.

It seems like the staples are carbon, GFO, and Purgien. I have always ran a form of carbon and almost always Purigen. I am also currently running a 20 gallon with (4) fish and a cleaner shrimp so my bioload is somewhat higher. The Purigen is pretty cheap, you can buy a 100ml bag for about $9 and it is good for 100 gallons (10ml per 10 gallons). I bought one bag, cut it open, and poured some into a smaller bag and put it in the reactor.

You also get people who run nothing and have great success. I prefer to run at least carbon and Purigen as it reduces the impact of any contaminants that may enter the tank. In our nanos even the smallest of contaminants can cause major issues. 

• Like 1

The benifit of chemi Blu is you have carbon, phos remover, and a purigen like media all in one. While the latter 2 medias might last longer, the carbon is likely exhausted much sooner. I change mine once a month and rinse every week, though it's never covered in anything. It comes to like 4 bucks a month which is a pretty good deal imo. I also run filter floss that I change twice a week. 

I actually find the chemi marketing odd. Usually companies claim a product needs more frequent replacement so you buy it more often. 

Either way, it's all I've used but I like it. It seems to do what it claims and my tank's happy, so... 

Though I wouldn't be surprised if my tank, and most, could do just as well without chemical filtration, but as mentioned above, I view it as something of a failsafe just in case. And the carbon could help with any chemical warfare.