Cultivated Reef

Donny's 40 breeder

Donny41

Green slimer growth, January 30th to today. Not sure if this is considered fast, slow, average etc.. but I'm happy with it considering  was my first acro. Have two others in the tank that are both growing as well, albeit slower.

20190417_130011.jpg

• 3 months later...

Been a couple months since I've updated, been busy, just got married! Everything was running fine in the tank until I went on my honeymoon and left the tank alone for 9 days.. New York city area had a fairly wide spread power outage and we lost power at some point, for how long im not sure. All I know is when I came back most of my lps were completely gone, most sps are 100% bleached, both anemones lost a lot of color and are basically hiding under the rocks, and I lost two fish and my cleaner shrimp. And I had a pretty good amount of what I'm hoping is cyano on top of that (does resemble dinos in some ways). Assuming power loss in a bad heatwave caused my temperature to get way to high for a while which killed corals/fish which added the ingredients for some algae growth. Needless to say I was pretty bummed out, most of the stuff I lost was growing pretty well and I had for a good amount of time. Did a large water change the day after I got back and now I'm doing a 4 gallon water change every other day and using a turkey baster to kick as much crap up from the sand and rocks. Also turned off my t5s for the time being and will just run the LEDs. 

20190728_085553.jpg

20190728_085559.jpg

20190728_085609.jpg

20190728_085611.jpg

• Sad 2
  • 2 months later...
Christopher Marks

Wow congrats on getting married @Donny41!

That's terrible the power outage happened while you were away on your honeymoon though, what a setback 😞. I'm glad to see it wasn't a total loss though, and you've been rebuilding. How has the rest of the summer been going on the reef?