Innovative Marine Aquariums

Pavona coral seems to be receding or dying

Recci

I have a green pavona coral that seems to be dying back at the tips and base. The tips and base are turning white then looking to turn brown. I assume its dying from the tips? I also have montipora in the tank and they seem to be growing well so I cant understand why this pavona is dying.

Isn't it one of the hardiest corals going?

IMG_20181031_145810815.thumb.jpg.7148e45cedd486ec7b2610a10bfd6b2a.jpg

I also have a hammer, torch and duncan in the tank and some softies. The duncan has grown several new heads since being in the tank but I have not had much growth from the hammer or torch. My gsp is thriving however and several of the mushrooms have split.

I have noticed the last few days that the duncan and torch are not opening up properly and seem to be skulking a bit.

My params are as follows:

magnesium 1300
calcium 470
DKH 8.5
phosphate 0.03
nitrate 0 (no reading on a red sea pro kit)
ammonia 0
salinity 1.028
temp around 27°C

The tank is a red sea max nano with the AI prime light at 47% and set to full spectrum 12000k.

I realise that the salinity is a little high and so is the temperature and will bring them down. And also that my nitrates are to low. But my params have been like this a while and it has not caused any problems before. The only thing that has really changed is that I have brought the alkalinity down from around 11 to 8.5 over that last couple of weeks.

Before i got my dosing pump i was having large alk swings and it never caused this to happen so I can only assume that its starving due to lack of nitrates? the other coral are sucking it up before it gets any?

I have only been changing about 7 or 8 Litres of water every two weeks could this be a lack of trace elements?

I am open to suggestions here?

IMG_20181017_220626331.thumb.jpg.7be7fbaae351d72693865e2fffdb1500.jpg

On 11/5/2018 at 7:53 AM, Recci said:

I realise that the salinity is a little high and so is the temperature and will bring them down. And also that my nitrates are to low. But my params have been like this a while and it has not caused any problems before.

I would not let phosphates go any lower...which they may do if the tank gets a nitrogen source.

Demands get larger when lighting goes up and when coral are added and when corals grow.  (Maybe when temperature is up as well.)

So what appeared to be adequate in the past should not be expected to suffice in future.  You have more, bigger corals now! 🙂 

If you simply address the things that you noticed yourself I bet things will turn around for you.

That said, no I do not think this is one of the most hearty (stony) corals. 

Look at montipora, some of the Birdsnest corals, favia for something more hearty.

BTW what are you doing for nutrients and filtration?

There is live rock in with the ceramic that acts as filtration. It works so well that I have no detectable nitrates at all on a red sea pro test kit. I feed heavy for only having 3 small fish in the tank. There is a small amount of carbon and gfo in the back compartment. 

I also dose reef energy daily which is supposed to stop corals dying or stripping in low nutrient systems. 

The pavona is definitely dying. The flesh is stripping off the tips and i cant see why!

• 2 weeks later...

OP, how is the water flow around this particular coral? It needs strong random water flow . Also where is it placed ? Does it get enough light? If it’s dying, frag it and place the healthy pieces in a couple different spots in your tank and see what that’ll do for you.

Best of luck!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2018 at 11:40 AM, Recci said:

There is live rock in with the ceramic that acts as filtration. It works so well that I have no detectable nitrates at all on a red sea pro test kit. I feed heavy for only having 3 small fish in the tank. There is a small amount of carbon and gfo in the back compartment. 

I also dose reef energy daily which is supposed to stop corals dying or stripping in low nutrient systems. 

The pavona is definitely dying. The flesh is stripping off the tips and i cant see why!

Stop "pressing down" on your nutrient levels.  

You may be trying to "atone" for stripping the systems dissolved nutrients by overfeeding and using EVEN MORE chemical tricks, but your coral is (were?) clearly not looking for that, so stop all of the potions.  

Consider removing excess biomedia, GFO and any other "tax" you've placed on dissolved nutrients.  Make sure you aren't overfeeding your fish, but do feed them well.  I fould not try to feed your corals...just your fish.  

Use as much whole unprocessed food as you can in what you do feed.  (eg fish eggs, newly hatched brine shrimp, etc)