Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Does this chalice looked bleached to you?

MrObscura

I have had this chalice for a few months now and it's been in the same place under low lighting. But suddenly I noticed there seems to be a little exposed skeleton on the up left section with some algae and the top half seems much lighter in color. 

I know it's not a Echinophyllia, which most chalices in the hobby seem to be, but I belive it's actually a Oxypora. Perhaps they need super low light? But wouldn't it have had issues well before 3 months? 

The only other thing I can think of is, could this be the result of getting stung? The only thing close to it is a bubblegum monster chalice, but it's not that close and I've never seen it extend sweepers long enough to reach this one.  

Here's a pic. 

20181105_042855.jpg

4 hours ago, MrObscura said:

I have had this chalice for a few months now and it's been in the same place under low lighting. But suddenly I noticed there seems to be a little exposed skeleton on the up left section with some algae and the top half seems much lighter in color. 

I know it's not a Echinophyllia, which most chalices in the hobby seem to be, but I belive it's actually a Oxypora. Perhaps they need super low light? But wouldn't it have had issues well before 3 months? 

The only other thing I can think of is, could this be the result of getting stung? The only thing close to it is a bubblegum monster chalice, but it's not that close and I've never seen it extend sweepers long enough to reach this one.  

Here's a pic. 

20181105_042855.jpg

just based on that one pic I would say coral war

I swear it looks like new growth. Most of the tissue growth on my chalice corals is lighter in tone until it has a chance to calcify. Until then, it's very brittle and paper thin. 

Was the lighter part of the coral darker before like the other side and then became light because if so it does look like coral warfare.

At night, look closely to see if neighbouring corals are sending out sweepers.

Yea, one part was always lighter, and is so around the rim as well, so I figured it was just growth as well. But the other day I noticed what looked like exposed skeleton with bit of algae on it. 

At night the only thing near it at all is the Bubblegum monster but it's sweepers aren't anywhere near it.

Here's another pic.

I think there's definitly some tissue loss with algae growth. 

There's only 2 things I can think of.

1.the bubble gum Monster some how reached it even though I've been checking regularly and it's sweepers are never long enough. 

2.My prime is having some issues with the uv and v channels ramping incorrectly and running at near max intensity for 8 hours of my 12 hour photo period and it was just too much for it. 

I'm leaning towards 2 since the damaged area just happens to be getting the most light. Though if the bubble gum Monster did reach it that would be the exact spot it would likely sting. 

Do you think I should dip it and move it? Or just let it be? 

20181108_070558.jpg

7 minutes ago, MrObscura said:

Here's another pic.

I think there's definitly some tissue loss with algae growth. 

There's only 2 things I can think of.

1.the bubble gum Monster some how reached it even though I've been checking regularly and it's sweepers are never long enough. 

2.My prime is having some issues with the uv and v channels ramping incorrectly and running at near max intensity for 8 hours of my 12 hour photo period and it was just too much for it. 

I'm leaning towards 2 since the damaged area just happens to be getting the most light. Though if the bubble gum Monster did reach it that would be the exact spot it would likely sting. 

Do you think I should dip it and move it? Or just let it be? 

20181108_070558.jpg

I would move..... No matter the cause, something is happening. 

I think it's the uv and v channels ramping  too fast since my Jedi mind trick seems to be having similar issues. I'm a dumb ass and have been going back and forth with AI costumer service rather than just realizing I could set points in the app forcing it to ramp how I want. 

Here's the Jedi mind trick. 

Im also considering nudis in the montis case, but it's weird that it's been in the tank a month and didn't have any issues until now. 

20181108_194217.jpg

1 minute ago, MrObscura said:

Here's the Jedi mind trick. 

Im also considering nudis in the montis case, but it's weird that it's been in the tank a month and didn't have any issues until now. 

20181108_194217.jpg

Wish I could help with the monti but I have had no luck with encrusting monti's. 

Mine lost all colour and retracted polyps sp I moved it lower thinking it was too much light, then it sparked in colour eith mo polyp extension...I have tried 3 now with similar results.

• Thanks 1