Cultivated Reef

Refuguim help

Reef45

Ok I have a hob refugium that has been up and running for about 3-4 months. It has 3chambers one with small fliter and second one with cheto and last with small amt cheto. I have the flow on high. But I think water flow is too slow. 

Well on the top of the water in the refugium has bubbles that form and go in the tank plus I am not sure if I should clean it because I see mix options on that topic. I will post pictures. I do a flush with some saltwater top off in hob but only lasts a few days before it the bubbles come back..

if I take out the fliter it does flow better.

clean or not clean?

open all the chambers to one big one w/sand and cheto?

thanks for any help

I removed the filter and it made the flow better and combined the two Cheto together in one. So now have two empty chambers and all the bubbles went into the tank.

No more standing fish bowl water in HOB. I also removed the guard to the overflow. But now pods and worms etc.. can get into the tank. We will see what it looks like in the morning 

HOB as a refugium for nutrient recycling should work well.   If you maximized flow, the stagnant stuff should go away.  I would not clean anything in HOB.  That is food for the pods.  Most copepods are both detrivore & herbivore at differrent life stages.