Coral Vue Hydros

5gal Frogfish Pico (Pic Heavy)

Capt_Rick_Dixie

Capt_Rick_Dixie
21 minutes ago, Frag Factory said:

Do a 100% water change.

Have you been dosing nopox or any other carbon source at all?

Since the discovery of the dead fish 100% of water has been changed.  Still thinking it may not be a bad idea to do another huge change in a day or two.  Thoughts on that?  

I've been dosing liberally with Prime and Stability.  I replaced my Chemipure and Purigen in the filter as well.

I've never actually  heard of nopox until now.  Interesting.  

Capt_Rick_Dixie
On 12/7/2018 at 10:42 AM, CarolinaShoreReef said:

Always wanted one of these in my 5g! How do they do with lobsters? 

As long as the lobster isn't the length of the frogfish or smaller it shouldn't be a big deal.  They do hunt crustaceans in the wild so It may definitely be interested in a lobster roll.   I would worry more about the lobster trying to make a snack of the froggie though at the size it would need to be to not get eaten. 

I'd say give it a shot but watch things very closely and if you notice any interest in the other aside from a simple pass-by separate them. 

• Like 1
CarolinaShoreReef
8 hours ago, Capt_Rick_Dixie said:

As long as the lobster isn't the length of the frogfish or smaller it shouldn't be a big deal.  They do hunt crustaceans in the wild so It may definitely be interested in a lobster roll.   I would worry more about the lobster trying to make a snack of the froggie though at the size it would need to be to not get eaten. 

I'd say give it a shot but watch things very closely and if you notice any interest in the other aside from a simple pass-by separate them. 

I might consider it but my purple lobster has a healthy bit of hunting in him haha. I have a feeling that both would fight each other eventually. I think they’d be able to hold up though. 

Capt_Rick_Dixie

If the lobster of yours has a history of taking fish I definitely wouldn't trust him around a frogfish.  They're surprisingly delicate and don't handle getting picked on too well.  But hey, it's your tank and you know it better than I do.  It may work out great!  If you give it a go keep us posted 🙂

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Capt_Rick_Dixie

Still have my feelers out for a small wartskin angler.  It'll happen eventually, no rush.  

In the meantime here's a pic of the tank.  Currently housing a small maroon clown for a friend while he gets his new system up and running.  

Corals are kicking ass.  The hammers are out here living their best lives.  New growth is extremely apparent on the monti and the birdsnest, which is a relief because I wasn't too confident the birdsnest was going to spring back after the incident.  The Acan has been doing well and coloring up decently, the Duncan has grown about 3 new heads in the last few weeks about the size of a nickel, and the candy cane has damn near doubled in size since I got him.  After those emergency water changes I had one hell of a diatom bloom (surprise) but things are falling into equilibrium again. A Green Killing Machine, a little Purigen and a few water changes go a long way.  Things are going well for now and I'm stoked on that.  Still thinking I may add more corals but I'm picky so it hasn't happened yet.  Thinking maybe a stylo or something similar for the front of the rock that holds the monti and birdsnest.  Who knows.  Come June I'll be making a pretty damn big move so I don't want to upgrade tanks before then.   

If you've made it this far through the post feel free to hit me with some suggestions!  

20181216_162305.jpg

• Like 5
Gourami Swami

Hey man! Your tank is looking great. Sorry to hear about the frogfish though, but sometimes these things just happen. 

My only suggestion would be that the rock with the birdsnest and monticap on it needs some coverage on the front side, also if you could move the birdsnest forward might look better imo. I really dig your euphyllia corner!

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, Capt_Rick_Dixie said:

Still have my feelers out for a small wartskin angler.  It'll happen eventually, no rush.  

In the meantime here's a pic of the tank.  Currently housing a small maroon clown for a friend while he gets his new system up and running.  

Corals are kicking ass.  The hammers are out here living their best lives.  New growth is extremely apparent on the monti and the birdsnest, which is a relief because I wasn't too confident the birdsnest was going to spring back after the incident.  The Acan has been doing well and coloring up decently, the Duncan has grown about 3 new heads in the last few weeks about the size of a nickel, and the candy cane has damn near doubled in size since I got him.  After those emergency water changes I had one hell of a diatom bloom (surprise) but things are falling into equilibrium again. A Green Killing Machine, a little Purigen and a few water changes go a long way.  Things are going well for now and I'm stoked on that.  Still thinking I may add more corals but I'm picky so it hasn't happened yet.  Thinking maybe a stylo or something similar for the front of the rock that holds the monti and birdsnest.  Who knows.  Come June I'll be making a pretty damn big move so I don't want to upgrade tanks before then.   

If you've made it this far through the post feel free to hit me with some suggestions!  

20181216_162305.jpg

Looks good. 🙂

• Like 1
Capt_Rick_Dixie
1 hour ago, Gourami Swami said:

Hey man! Your tank is looking great. Sorry to hear about the frogfish though, but sometimes these things just happen. 

My only suggestion would be that the rock with the birdsnest and monticap on it needs some coverage on the front side, also if you could move the birdsnest forward might look better imo. I really dig your euphyllia corner!

Thanks! 

The angle is a bit deceiving and the birdsnest does stick out a bit further than it appears but I definitely need to figure something out for the front of that rock.  Maybe I'll make a trip to my LFS this weekend.  

Glad you like my Euphyllia! They're definitely some of my favorite corals.  Took me a while to get them placed where I'm happy with them.    

• Like 1
Capt_Rick_Dixie
On 12/27/2018 at 10:24 AM, Gourami Swami said:

Hey man just a heads up- Diver's den just got in a super nice coccinesus angler! Bright orange with speckles

I saw it yesterday and I almost pulled the trigger.  It's about the perfect size for what I'd need too. Decided to wait though.  I've got a nuvo 10 coming in a few days and my lfs helping me on the hunt for a real nice white/purple wartskin so I figured it would be best not to rush it.  

Thanks for the heads up though! I seriously appreciate it!  

Here's a fts for the hell of it lol 

20181222_230903.jpg

• Like 3

This little tank looks great! And I'm sure once you upgrade it'll look ever better. I love my Nuvo10, its a perfect size and I got the Prime over mine too. Excellent combo 👍

I'm excited to follow and see how it all progresses.

• Thanks 1
Capt_Rick_Dixie

Thanks everyone! 

Glad I've created something that is worth looking at 😂 

Here's my tentative scape for the nuvo 10.  

Low rock on right of the pic will be the hammers, in front of that will be a little zoa colony, the tall rock will hold the Monti cap somewhere along the back/side and the birdsnest on top.  The trumpets will be the rock in the front left corner and who knows what I'll do with the acans yet. Thinking the Duncan will be attached to the bottom of the tall rock somewhere. 

Let me know what ya think 🙂

20181230_153054.jpg

• Like 1

I think a frogfish would love those overhangs. Perhaps adding a couple of "shelves" with some rubble on the column pieces will also give the guy more options to chill out and watch the world go by. 

• Like 1
Capt_Rick_Dixie
2 hours ago, Frag Factory said:

I think a frogfish would love those overhangs. Perhaps adding a couple of "shelves" with some rubble on the column pieces will also give the guy more options to chill out and watch the world go by. 

I love that idea! I've got a bunch of broke. Pieces left over as I hammered the hell out of those rocks to break em up.  I'll epoxy them on later! 

Capt_Rick_Dixie

Tank should be getting wet this weekend (knock on wood).  Can't decide on substrate color.  I've never gone with the black sand before but think it may look sick with the black rock as well... Or maybe it would detract from the scape.  

Any input? I need a push in one direction or another lol. 

Black sand can look sharp, but every time I've used it I have had algae issues like no other.  I've read others say the same.  I used Tahitian moon sand.

• Like 1
Capt_Rick_Dixie
3 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Black sand can look sharp, but every time I've used it I have had algae issues like no other.  I've read others say the same.  I used Tahitian moon sand.

I've heard similar complaints about the Tahitian moon so I'll definitely steer clear of that.  I think I'll give the CaribSea Hawaiian Black a shot.  Worst case scenario I just replace it when I move in a few months. 

On 1/4/2019 at 8:50 AM, Capt_Rick_Dixie said:

I've heard similar complaints about the Tahitian moon so I'll definitely steer clear of that.  I think I'll give the CaribSea Hawaiian Black a shot.  Worst case scenario I just replace it when I move in a few months. 

I think the Hawaiian was what @Clown79 used that she had trouble with algae.  But it does look nice so if you want to try it out, go for it.  I'd suggest keeping it vacuumed clean and frequent water changes to help reduce algae risk.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

I think the Hawaiian was what @Clown79 used that she had trouble with algae.  But it does look nice so if you want to try it out, go for it.  I'd suggest keeping it vacuumed clean and frequent water changes to help reduce algae risk.

You got a great memory!

It was me who had nothing but issues, I'm not alone either.

It's a much larger grain size so I recommend using a very minimal sandbed with it(1").

Mine was 2", I removed half, then replaced all together. Never had issues again. 

• Like 2