Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

How much rock is too much?

KailaM18

I'm a noob and need some help. The husband had a salt previously and we have down sized. In that, we moved all the rock and it fits in a 10g tank, but I'm worried that it's too much for the tank. I'm keeping it super simple, a turbo for the algae and a clown. He seems super happy, but water changes are a little hectic. I usually end up moving rock out to clean around it. How much should I keep, what is best to do with the rock I dont want? I've read about people just taking it out and drying it out. This rock is over 10yrs old, I'm just now starting to take this up again. And amazingly, there still is stuff coming out of the rock. 

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. 

20181031_161519.jpg

I dont think you can have "too much" as long as you have the flow to keep water moving through the rock so there arent dead spots. 

I have a LFS with several large tanks that he's had setup for over 20 years of nothing but live rock, they are completely packed. But he has alot of flow too so dead spots don't become a problem.

I personally would remove some from your setup though, it is really packed and more swimming room for you clown would be better. You can just remove it and let it die. But if you ever wanted to use it again you will have some work ahead of you getting it safe to use again.

• Thanks 1

It’s personal preference...personally I think you have too much in there but that’s just me.  You want space for rhe fish to swim and room for corals to grow. 

You can can dry it out, dip in an acid bath, bleach it etc. there are many ways to kill it, keep it revitalize it just depends on what you want to do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For my personal taste, it's too much rock. I'd remove half.

I like lots of room for corals and if no corals, I like a minimalist look. 

It makes it easier to keep clean, gives more swimming room, better flow through the tank to filter out properly.

Cylindrical or half moon tanks are really cool 

I've always wanted one. They look really cool with rockwork going up the centre, or even built on one side.

With more room you could add a shrimp, feather dusters. 

20181104_220645.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sometimes when I have rock I'm not sure what to do with, I'll plunk it into a bottle of saltwater, with or without flow, and store it till I make up my mind. I'd pick the best/my favorite pieces to make a nice scape like clown suggested and pull the rest out of the tank. That'll open up swimming space for the clown and make cleaning easier. 

• Like 2