Innovative Marine Aquariums

Specific care for Bumblebee Shrimp

Chris's Fishes

Chris's Fishes

Hello! I've recently started up a 3 gallon pico, and I think I've settled on bumblebee shrimp as my main "centerpiece", due to their size and seemingly interesting behavior. That said, I can't find a whole lot of information on them (that I trust), so I want to see if y'all can answer some questions for me.

1) I've read that they're best kept in pairs or groups. How true is that? If they really do best in pairs, does it have to be a male/female pair, and if so, how can I sex them? Since the tank I'm using is so small, I'm assuming I'd want either a pair or a single specimen, correct?

2) I know that they'll eat the feet off of echinoderms, but they won't actually eat the entire organism. I've also read that they'll accept other meaty foods, like mysis. Is that true? I can just feed them mysis and other frozen foods?

3) They're completely reef-safe, correct? The tank will house snails, a couple of hermits, softies, macros, and maybe some LPS down the road. They won't snack on anything they aren't supposed to, as long as they're well fed?

Thanks!

1) This has more to do with behavior and territory than it does with pairing and mating. If you don't want to order a single specimen only to see that it hides all the time and never emerges, get a pair.

2) Yes, they will go after echinoderms and yes they are carnivores. They're called striped harlequin shrimps for a reason. Your tank will be free of little asterina starfish, so that's cool. 

3) Reef safe with caution, in that they will go after some critters but not others. Feed them, otherwise they'll probably go after snails and other inverts/fish if they can catch them.

• Like 1
Chris's Fishes
3 hours ago, OPtasia said:

1) This has more to do with behavior and territory than it does with pairing and mating. If you don't want to order a single specimen only to see that it hides all the time and never emerges, get a pair.

2) Yes, they will go after echinoderms and yes they are carnivores. They're called striped harlequin shrimps for a reason. Your tank will be free of little asterina starfish, so that's cool. 

3) Reef safe with caution, in that they will go after some critters but not others. Feed them, otherwise they'll probably go after snails and other inverts/fish if they can catch them.

Alright, cool. This is kinda what I was expecting to here. 

So, I can simply order two shrimp, throw them in together, and they'll set up their own territories and such? Two males won't kill eachother?

As far as feeding, they'll be spot-fed. Shouldn't be a problem.