Pod Your Reef

New 32gal Coralife Biocube

RtBrat

So after looking at my frags closer I’m pretty sure one is a golden hammer/the lfs said it was a torch, and they only said the other was a euphyllia, I’m thinking it’s just a baby frogspawn of some sort.

3 minutes ago, RtBrat said:

So after looking at my frags closer I’m pretty sure one is a golden hammer/the lfs said it was a torch, and they only said the other was a euphyllia, I’m thinking it’s just a baby frogspawn of some sort.

Hammer, torch, and frogspawn corals are all members of the genus Euphyllia, so you and your lfs are technically both correct 😄 Neither of those looks like a torch though; I'd say the top one is a frogspawn and the bottom is a hammer.

Lovely corals just the same! And a nice little tank you have there ^^

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, billygoat said:

Hammer, torch, and frogspawn corals are all members of the genus Euphyllia, so you and your lfs are technically both correct 😄 Neither of those looks like a torch though; I'd say the top one is a frogspawn and the bottom is a hammer.

Lovely corals just the same! And a nice little tank you have there ^^

Thanks Euphyllia are my favorite, and I didn’t buy them for their names anyway. I bought them because I liked them. 💜

• Like 2

I’ve noticed a lot more algae in my tank the last 2 weeks. Well today I think I found the cause. My return pump isn’t working.  Any recommendations on a replacement?

I use a Cobalt Mini MJ606, and like it quite a bit. It's not completely silent but still very quiet, and it's extremely tiny. At about 160 gph it pushes plenty of water for my 18g. It might be a little weak for a 32g system though, depending on what sort of sump turnover rate you're aiming for.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, billygoat said:

I use a Cobalt Mini MJ606, and like it quite a bit. It's not completely silent but still very quiet, and it's extremely tiny. At about 160 gph it pushes plenty of water for my 18g. It might be a little weak for a 32g system though, depending on what sort of sump turnover rate you're aiming for.

Thanks I’ll look into it and see if I think it will work. 

• 9 months later...

It’s been a really long time since I’ve been on here. Life in general has been busy.  
The return pump on my tank was fine , it just disconnected from the tubing. Oops.  I’ve still had algae issues, but it’s not a lot of algae. I‘be been having trouble keeping enough water in the middle chamber that houses my protein skimmer(so I haven’t had it on), I think I have this figured out. And I think I may have my lights on to long. How long should your lights be on in a day?

I have recently added a sixline wrasse, and 2 new corals.

96FDEAB9-49A0-4404-A77E-F7B8025B3371.jpeg

6C21C16E-B2BA-421E-B381-007CC50FA313.jpeg

AA600FB7-C012-48CE-996D-4E73750EDCD6.jpeg

13CAB422-8A43-4AC3-99B7-0E974AD2C0EC.jpeg

F5861C35-0684-4E0F-ACE9-B717AC1B9FAF.jpeg

4271BF42-379D-459B-AF04-35293B670A8F.jpeg

• Like 2

Looks great to me! Especially love that last pic with your clownfish and torch!! 😍😍😍 Skimmer doesn’t fit in the first chamber? 

This is my light schedule:

• LC1  11 AM - 9:00 PM
  • LC2  10 AM - 9:30 PM
  • LC3    6 AM - 12:30 AM
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, banasophia said:

Looks great to me! Especially love that last pic with your clownfish and torch!! 😍😍😍 Skimmer doesn’t fit in the first chamber? 

This is my light schedule:

• LC1  11 AM - 9:00 PM
  • LC2  10 AM - 9:30 PM
  • LC3    6 AM - 12:30 AM

Thanks, I took the pic with the clown and torch last night. The clowns don’t host it, but they check him out every now and again.  Thanks for your light schedule. I’m going to have to adjust mine again... 

right now I have:

L1 12p-7:45p

L2 11:45a-7-50p

L3 11:55a-8:15p

Im not even sure when I changed the light schedule to this odd one 🤔.... Definitely going to change 

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, RtBrat said:

Thanks, I took the pic with the clown and torch last night. The clowns don’t host it, but they check him out every now and again.  Thanks for your light schedule. I’m going to have to adjust mine again... 

right now I have:

L1 12p-7:45p

L2 11:45a-7-50p

L3 11:55a-8:15p

Im not even sure when I changed the light schedule to this odd one 🤔.... Definitely going to change 

Oh yeah here’s my little diagram I did for my schedule... I’m so visual it really helps me to see. My favorite time is the beauty lights phase when LC1 is off but both LC2&3 are both on. I was doing a longer LC1 and overall schedule than this for a while and my corals seemed to be growing faster, but algae seemed to be more of an issue so I switched it back. 

34F81F8E-C6AB-4C44-A440-6BF49B64CD1F.thumb.jpeg.a280f2700b8a56df37501b9a07ce9257.jpeg

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Oh yeah here’s my little diagram I did for my schedule... I’m so visual it really helps me to see. My favorite time is the beauty lights phase when LC1 is off but both LC2&3 are both on. I was doing a longer LC1 and overall schedule than this for a while and my corals seemed to be growing faster, but algae seemed to be more of an issue so I switched it back. 

34F81F8E-C6AB-4C44-A440-6BF49B64CD1F.thumb.jpeg.a280f2700b8a56df37501b9a07ce9257.jpeg

Thanks so much it does help seeing it written out. I’m going to give it a try.

• Like 1