Cultivated Reef

New 32gal Coralife Biocube

RtBrat

Hi everyone ?️! My name is Jammie.  I've been out of the saltwater hobby for to many years to admit.  When I had a tank it was a 55gal FOWLR, it crashed when I impulsively bought a fish at my lfs. I always wanted to try again. Anyway I've been researching the hobby again, because so many things have changed.  I have decided to start again with a 32 gallon LED biocube. Just this week I put together the stand and wanted to share. I'll share the other equipment and modifications I plan to make soon. In advance thanks to everyone for helping me!

20181031_195524.jpg

• Like 4

Welcome back. First thing's first, find a location for your tank that's away from any windows. You'll need complete control of light exposure to the tank and the best way to do that is to put your tank in an area that gets no direct or even indirect sunlight. It'll be easier for you to move the tank to a more desirable location while it's still new and empty. 

• Like 2

Hi @RtBrat! Welcome back! Nice stand. You’ll do fine with your tank as long as you’re patient and research BEFORE you buy something. That has been my biggest problem and one I’m trying to fix with my new tank. Don’t feel embarrassed to ask any questions! Anything to help a fellow reefer out!

Thanks for the welcome everyone! I really appreciate it.  I also appreciate the advice about location on my tank as I 100% agree that usually you don't want it near a window. However what you can't see is that this window has a porch on the other side that is covered. And light never reaches them sadly. 

• Like 1

Other equipment I've bought so far:

InTank media basket

J J nano Globe refugium Light

Cobalt NeoTherm 150 watt heater

Aqiamai KPS WaveMaker

Fish saver guard from intank

Aqutic Life Twist-in 4 stage RODI

Coralife Biocube UV sterilizer

Tunze Combine DOC protein Skimmer 9001

I also have the red sea foundation and marine care test kits and a tds meter. I'm not sure if I should have any other tests?!

Congrats on your new tank, and welcome to the forum!! I have a Biocube 16 and I love it. I’ve seen a couple people in the past 6 months with their Biocube 32 stands collapsing on them, so you may want to research that a bit and check out the reinforcements you can do to be sure it will be super sturdy. 

5 minutes ago, RtBrat said:

Other equipment I've bought so far:

InTank media basket

J J nano Globe refugium Light

Aqiamai KPS WaveMaker

Fish saver guard from intank

Aqutic Life Twist-in 4 stage RODI

Coralife Biocube UV sterilizer

Tunze Combine DOC protein Skimmer 9001

I also have the red sea foundation and marine care test kits and a tds meter. I'm not sure if I should have any other tests?!

Refractometer? 

1 hour ago, banasophia said:

Congrats on your new tank, and welcome to the forum!! I have a Biocube 16 and I love it. I’ve seen a couple people in the past 6 months with their Biocube 32 stands collapsing on them, so you may want to research that a bit and check out the reinforcements you can do to be sure it will be super sturdy. 

I have a few ideas on reinforcing the stand, but honestly I'm hopeless with that kind of thing. That's why I have enlisted the help of my friend who also happens to be a drafter. She's designed stuff like this for years.  I'm just going to have her check it out before I even think about filling it.  I hadn't heard they were collapsing, but was concerned with the weight before... 

I have a few ideas on reinforcing the stand, but honestly I'm hopeless with that kind of thing. That's why I have enlisted the help of my friend who also happens to be a drafter. She's designed stuff like this for years.  I'm just going to have her check it out before I even think about filling it.  I hadn't heard they were collapsing, but was concerned with the weight before... 

Refractometer? 

Got one, just forgot to list it....

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Sorry for the long delay with updates! As of yesterday my tank has water!  I also added fritz turbo start, and Dr. Tim's ammonia. The only thing I have running at the moment is the heater, aqamai kps, and return pump.

Equipment on the tank:

Aqiamai KPS WaveMaker 

InTank media basket with Marine Pure GEMS, and filter floss

Comline DOC Protein Skimmer 9001 (not running yet)

Coralife Biocube UV Sterilizer  (not running yet)

Back up power supply  (8hours)

I also have a QT tank set up as well.

1548626344019-1781226592.jpg

Nice rock layout.  Will look sweet all grown in.  

I too was out of the hobby for about 15 years.  I just started back with a 20 gallon tank.   It has changed a lot but for the better. Lots better monitoring than before.  I too had a tank crash.  It was my 600 gallon.  It’s devistating no matter what the size.  Good luck in setting this one up.  

• Like 1

Welcome back to the obsession! It's amazing how much the "hobby" has changed in 15 years, but definitely for the better. It looks like you are well on your way so far. You have obviously done your research for the hardware cuz it looks like your are well prepared. I love the rock work, and the "stages" you've set up will go a long way to giving lot's of corals lots of room to grow. I wish I had the sense to bond my rocks together, but what's done is done. It will definitely make cleaning the tank easier. Can't tell from the pic but it looks like you have plenty of room around your rock for cleaning the glass and you should experience good flow also. Well done!

Kuddos on setting up the QT also. I'm a BIG advocate for QT'ing new arrivals and I believe that is why I haven't lost a fish to disease in almost 4 years. I'm reading more and more articles on the increased incidence of diseased fish entering the market which only reinforces my stance on QT's.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Oldsalt01 said:

I wish I had the sense to bond my rocks together, but what's done is done. 

I will suggest if you do bond your rock like this to let them sit for a few days. The directions suggested 40 minutes, I let my first attempt sit overnight. When I picked them up some of the seams just crumbled. It took me about 6 tries, but I'm happy with the end result.

Congrats on setting up this tank. I wish I had discovered this forum when I was setting mine up, and had kept a better journal. You seem to be on the right path (your own!), and asking the right questions. 

Enjoyed your aquascape. In my little tank of mistakes, lack of planning out the aquascape was one of them! 

Following, and best of luck!

E31674E4-B128-4D6B-9B98-7C80B142E986.jpeg

• Like 1

I'very been testing my ammonia,  nitrite and nitrate regularly. More for me than anything, my brain must know.... so far(using red sea test kit)

Jan 28th- ammonia 1.2, nitrite 1, nitrate 20

Jan 29th- ammonia 1.2, nitrite 1, nitrate 50

Jan 31st- ammonia 0.4, nitrite 1, nitrate 40

Feb 1st- ammonia 0.2, nitrite 1, nitrate 50

Feb 4th- ammonia 0, nitrite 1, nitrate 30

Feb 6th- ammonia 0, nitrite 0.5, nitrate 20

I was dosing ammonia but when the nitrite kept staying up, I stopped...

20190206_104612.jpg

29 minutes ago, Brian1313 said:

I like the rockwork!  I used Fritz Turbo start when i cycled mine and it worked great and fast!

Thanks. Fritz seams to be doing a good job so far. I'm adding cheto soon.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...