ReefCleaners.org

Duncan troubles

ThomasC

I've noticed its not opening as much as usual now either?  Any thoughts appreciated!  Tank mates (that I am aware of) include: a pair of clowns, some snails, and hermits.  Ive seen a few really small white star fish but read they are pretty harmless.

9 minutes ago, ThomasC said:

I've noticed its not opening as much as usual now either?  Any thoughts appreciated!  Tank mates (that I am aware of) include: a pair of clowns, some snails, and hermits.  Ive seen a few really small white star fish but read they are pretty harmless.

Maybe check at night and see if you can spot any bad dudes.  It does look like bites on the skeleton but that doesn’t necessarily mean anything.  Is it new? How’s the flow?  Was it there before or after the soft coral above it?

Thanks for the response!  I checked this morning before the light kicked on and didn't see anything, but maybe I will sneak down there tonight.  Over a month old, was put in at the same time as the soft coral above.  about 5-6 inches between the two and no problems seen until about a week ago.  Flow is moderate/high.  Was happy and very open until earlier this week.  No one else in the tank appears to be pestered.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, ThomasC said:

Thanks for the response!  I checked this morning before the light kicked on and didn't see anything, but maybe I will sneak down there tonight.  Over a month old, was put in at the same time as the soft coral above.  about 5-6 inches between the two and no problems seen until about a week ago.  Flow is moderate/high.  Was happy and very open until earlier this week.  No one else in the tank appears to be pestered.

I would just keep an eye on it for now. 

Tip:

When looking for shy, nocturnal critters in your tank, it helps if you can use a red light. The red spectrum of light doesn't penetrate very deeply into water and a lot of animals have evolved not to even see the color red at all. Find a piece of red cellophane someplace and put a piece of the cellophane over a flashlight. Turn off all of the tank lights and any other ambient light source in the room. Sit in the dark for anywhere from fifteen to thirty minutes (no cell phones, totally dark) and then, with your hand over the flashlight, turn it on. Let your hand cover the light, then slowly let a little indirect red light out while you look into the tank. 

I'll bet you ten to one you see all kinds of things.

Oh and if you remove it to dip it, have a thorough look for nudis and/or eggs. 

I have plenty of red lens lights from Uncle Sam.  I've used those lights before, before I knew what those alien looking bristle worms were! I'll definitely give that a go.  I just hope this tissue loss doesn't result in the loss of that coral!  He is definitely still feeding well at least.