inTank Media Baskets

Fluval Media Basket

ThomasC

Suggestion needed -

I have a fluval 13.5 set up that I have finally gotten dialed in since returning from a year long trip overseas.  My numbers seem adequate, Alk: 8.5 Ca: 400 Mg: 1300 Temp: 79 Nitrates/Nitrites: undetectable.  Coral and fish seem happy with decent, albeit moderate growth.  No noticeable issues of any kind in the tank.  I have a kessil 360 and skimmer running, with an eheim return pump.  Nothing too exciting or crazy.  I, like a majority of the reefers out there love to tinker with the set up.  I currently have the stock sponge the tank came with, with chemipure elite.  My question is, should I switch to a media basket in the second chamber?  It would be mainly just for giving me something to do, as I am not trying to correct an issue, nor do I see an immediate necessity to do it.  Or would it be safer to stick to the old adage of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"?  I simply don't want to mess with the filtration and cause an issue because of my desire to tinker and 'improve' something that is already running fine.  Thanks in advance for the insights to this question, and more importantly for all the knowledge you all have allowed me to sponge while lurking!