Cultivated Reef

How long do you mix your saltwater?

12scanlon

6 minutes ago, MrObscura said:

My tank for now has balanced out around 8.5-9.5 between each water change. So, as of now a wc doesn't effect Alk too much, while keeping it inline. But as I add more corals and they grow, the difference between tank water and mix water will be too much. I think I'd like to just keep Alk around 9 since everything seems pretty happy there. That's why I considered lowering the Alk of mix water, rather than having to dose more to get it to 9. But idk. 

I really dont want to raise alk back up to 11 as I think it will just create more opportunities for things to go wrong. And introducing certain corals to a tank with Alk that high could be problematic. 

Too bad blue bucket mixes lower than I'd like. Maybe I could mix pro with blue bucket to get a salt that mixes to 9?

BRS TV just did a video about mixing both buckets. Check it out. 

• Thanks 1
38 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

When I used it, my alk creeped too high over time with my waterchanges. It ended up at 12.5 and I had issues with my sps. 

I didn't want to mess with it myself, defeats the purpose of buying the salt to lower params.  

But I liked Red Sea salt alot so I switched to blue bucket.

I’ve found that doing small (ie. 2 or 3 gallons) every week to a week and a half keeps alk pretty stable. This is in my tank though. Every tank varies in how much consumption happens per day/week.

Yea I do 2 gallons or so a week and for now it's doing the job. But I'm mostly LPS and sps with and will likely have to address Alk sooner rather than later. 

I'm going to go watch that mixed salts vid now. 

Well, brs releasing that video was rather serendipitous. I have 2 options now, mix the 2 salts or just raise the Alk of mix water made with another salt. Which I didn't even think about. Lol

I knew I could use muriatic acid to lower the Alk of my mix water but I don't really want to mess with that. 

9 hours ago, 12scanlon said:

Everyone who posted on her check my new post in general discussion! Quick! I need help with my pistol shrimp.

LOL brazen attempt at redirection!!

14 hours ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I actually am thinking of getting that salt. I use reef crystals and though I don't have much bad to say about it the mix time kinda sucks; especially if you need it in an emergency.

I saw you post something about the reef crystals mix time in the lounge. I mix mine 4 gallons at a time with a small pump and its mixed in 30 mins max... I do go back and use my hand to stir the bottom of the bucket 1 time after it's been mixing 10 mins or so... 

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
35 minutes ago, Weikel said:

I saw you post something about the reef crystals mix time in the lounge. I mix mine 4 gallons at a time with a small pump and its mixed in 30 mins max... I do go back and use my hand to stir the bottom of the bucket 1 time after it's been mixing 10 mins or so... 

Yeah my little emergency lol. Normally I don't pay attention to it cause I mix the salt then next day I usually do a water change. My biggest hurdle the other night was heating it. That took 2 and half hours to get it up to temp. I did notice that after about an hour it was pretty clear and the only concern was I saw just a little bit of particulate matter. All in all I did find out it mixes quicker than I originally thought and even with some stuff floating the tank didn't care at all. All animals are doing great which I'm very happy about.

it was also late and I wanted to go to bed.

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

For some reason I was always under the impression I needed the salt to sit for a night before use. I actually learned a couple things from the experience..just hope I never have to do it again lol

14 hours ago, Clown79 said:

The salt should not be mixed for more than 4 hrs.

This has always baffled me and I'm sure it is just my lack of understanding... what's the difference between a power head pumping it around in a bucket and a power head pumping it around in my aquarium?!?! Isn't it constantly being "mixed"?

14 hours ago, MrObscura said:

My tank for now has balanced out around 8.5-9.5 between each water change. So, as of now a wc doesn't effect Alk too much, while keeping it inline. But as I add more corals and they grow, the difference between tank water and mix water will be too much. I think I'd like to just keep Alk around 9 since everything seems pretty happy there. That's why I considered lowering the Alk of mix water, rather than having to dose more to get it to 9. But idk. 

I really dont want to raise alk back up to 11 as I think it will just create more opportunities for things to go wrong. And introducing certain corals to a tank with Alk that high could be problematic. 

Too bad blue bucket mixes lower than I'd like. Maybe I could mix pro with blue bucket to get a salt that mixes to 9?

I use Blue bucket and it mixes between 8.4 - 9

1 hour ago, Porkpie5000 said:

This has always baffled me and I'm sure it is just my lack of understanding... what's the difference between a power head pumping it around in a bucket and a power head pumping it around in my aquarium?!?! Isn't it constantly being "mixed"?

in your tank things use the elements whereas sitting in a bucket it doesn't. There are other reasons as well, I just can't remember them.lol

3 hours ago, MrObscura said:

This thread has gotten a bit off topic, but anyone use fritz rpm salt. It seems to have perfect parameters.

Alk 9

Cal 450

Mag 1300

Never used it myself...

3 hours ago, MrObscura said:

This thread has gotten a bit off topic, but anyone use fritz rpm salt. It seems to have perfect parameters.

Alk 9

Cal 450

Mag 1300

I got:

8.5 dkh hanna 

460-480 cal api

1410 mag salifert 

I try to mix mine for 3-4hrs at least, even though it looks clear. I read something, somewhere like “something.. something.. fresh synthetic saltwater caustic.. something.. something..” Sounds bad for fish gills so I no longer use it as soon as it’s mixed and heated.