Top Shelf Aquatics

Horrible AI Prime HD experience. Kessil A80 is amazing

letskeepcoolpeeps

2 minutes ago, ReefGoat said:

We're having a conversation man. No one is yelling. Why chill? There was nothing in the text.........."shoulda just bought a radion". That could lead anyone to believe that you were just joking instead of adding to the conversation. No one in here is angry. We're just conversing...................

Ok cool

2 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

Well, I have had emails to several big companies go unanswered. You have to persist and email again or call if your email goes unanswered. Nobody is perfect. 

I agree.

I had to fight with Hanna for them to do anything about the defective alk checker i got that was still within warranty.

They didn't do anything until I made a few comments on Facebook.

1 hour ago, Weikel said:

that's one thing I dont like now a days is emails.. I try hard and not do business with people i cant actually pick up a phone and call.. I had that problem with Dave at nanobox. Trying to get answers via email took a week at minimum,  some times not at all I would have to PM him here or go to one of his threads.. took me over 3 months to get replacement arrays for an warranty issue.. dave is such a nice guy if I would gave had a contact number I think it would have been resolved quicker..

Problem is calling the US with a cell phone to sit on hold and get redirected gets very costly for those outside the US.

• Wow 1
23 hours ago, ReefGoat said:

We're having a conversation man. No one is yelling. Why chill? There was nothing in the text.........."shoulda just bought a radion". That could lead anyone to believe that you were just joking instead of adding to the conversation. No one in here is angry. We're just conversing...................

Lol. True.

7 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Problem is calling the US with a cell phone to sit on hold and get redirected gets very costly for those outside the US.

Wait there are people outside of the US???? 🤔 haha jk HAPPY FRIDAY 😎

(oops I was yelling)

• Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

Stuff can be frustrating in this hobby, especially for newcomers, when I got apex years ago I remember being pretty angry... the app and the way to update it felt archaic for such a expensive device. Thank god its much better now. 

2 hours ago, Weikel said:

(oops I was yelling)

Lol. 

Have a great weekend.

47 minutes ago, MrObscura said:

See above posts about chilling out and arguing.  Lol

Haha my response was to all of it, I was like whoa...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am happy with my AI Prime, which I bought from a friend, but I had trouble connecting it to my WiFi and programming it when I got it, so I ended up asking my friend to come back and program it for me. Works great now that it’s set up, but I’d personally prefer something that’s more plug and play. 

• Like 1

just read this thread.....thats 10 minutes ill never get back :sad: Yes connecting the AI can sometimes be a bit wonky but once its connected it is a far superior light in comparison to the A80 and you dont need to buy the outdated $100 controller. AI tech support has always been top notch. Dont get me wrong I love the Kessil lights but the A80 is the last light id buy from them unless Its going on a 5 gallon tank. Still confused as to the point of this thread  

• Like 2
On 11/1/2018 at 10:19 AM, letskeepcoolpeeps said:

Day 1 of AI Prime HD.  App is horrible. Settings and layout were very uninspiring.  I thought that with everyone (including my LFS) talking up AI that they were going to have an incredible interface.  The interface is trash.  I'm sorry but it's pathetic.  No interesting presets or color recommendations?  Way too difficult.   The whole thing was a nightmare and I build computers and have been using them since forever so I am very tech savvy.  After 3 hours of finally getting the app to work with it, the lights wouldn't turn on.   White indicator light shows. Tech support didn't know, so he forwarded me to someone else who would e-mail me hours later?  What a joke!  AI uses a 3rd party zendesk support and their reviews are sketchy.   Where if I call Innovative Marine, they know everything about their products and actually work for the company.  What a world of difference.   I actually will never use this company again.

I picked up the Kessil A80 same day and it is absolutely incredible.  Gorgeous shimmer.  Easy to use. Nice $100 controller option.  Hands down I absolutely love it.    Nothing much more to say other than it's perfect. 

I work in the IT industry.. The only issue I had with the interface was when I was trying to move a super complex preset (available on their website) over a few hours in total.  Other than that I had zero issues with it. I found it easy. IT connected to my wifi network with no effort, my phone with no effort, and to the cloud with no effort.  

I can't speak to their support because I never had to use it, but the light itself is solid, has amazing customization capabilities for its controller, and runs great.  Also the controller doesn't cost 100 bucks extra and separate..

22 hours ago, Weikel said:

(oops I was yelling)

I didn't mean it to be offensive.

I'd rather speak to customer service any day as well over email but the downside to cell phone use only, is the cost calling out of country

17 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I didn't mean it to be offensive.

I'd rather speak to customer service any day as well over email but the downside to cell phone use only, is the cost calling out of country

Ha yea I know you weren’t I was just messing with ya trying to act like a stereotypical American implying that if you were not from the US you don’t matter . bahahaha... I was just teaseing ya I have read enough of your post now to know you are from Canada ?? 

• Haha 1
11 hours ago, Weikel said:

Ha yea I know you weren’t I was just messing with ya trying to act like a stereotypical American implying that if you were not from the US you don’t matter . bahahaha... I was just teaseing ya I have read enough of your post now to know you are from Canada ?? 

Lmao! 

letskeepcoolpeeps

Nah.   The AI Prime HD wasn't even working properly.  The really bad zendesk support didn't even know what was wrong with it.  Even when it was working it wasn't as good as the Kessil.

Kessil has a much better build quality to boot.  There is really no reason to get AI Prime HD over the Kessil A80. 

11 minutes ago, MrObscura said:

Lol I just realized this thread was started by this guy. 

I know right. The Incredible Dr Pol over here saving fish like nobodies business and can't even figure out an AI Prime. I took a look at his tank and then took a look over Tamberavs journal and I know who I'd rather take advice from that's for sure

• Like 2
  • Haha 6
11 hours ago, letskeepcoolpeeps said:

Nah.   The AI Prime HD wasn't even working properly.  The really bad zendesk support didn't even know what was wrong with it.  Even when it was working it wasn't as good as the Kessil.

Kessil has a much better build quality to boot.  There is really no reason to get AI Prime HD over the Kessil A80. 

Except if you like AI, or want a light capable of supporting a bigger tank, or whatever. Like I said before, the A160 is a more equivalent light to the Prime. If you like Kessil better, that's fine, but AI shouldn't be blasted as a terrible, poor quality product over an interface difference. :closedeyes:

• Like 2

The OP clearly has an axe to grind with AI and choose this forum to bash them. Zendesk and Fakespot.....Seriously? AI now owned by Ecotech is still a small company and yes the initial trouble ticket MAY be handled by Zendesk but the actual support is done in house by a handful of people. I’ve been a customer of both AI and Kessil and have reached out to both for support neither have ever outsourced support in my experience. 

Its awesome that that you found a light that works for you however to compare the Prime to the A80 is kinda ridiculous. Your comparison is a 15w light vs a 55w light. 

Just gonna leave this here. AI has published PAR levels while Kessil seems to want to avoid publishing PAR regarding the A80. 

• Like 3
letskeepcoolpeeps

Yea Zendesk support is horrible.  There basically isn't any Customer Support for the AI brand since Ecotech purchase them.   There are no knobs on the AI Prime HD so in an emergency you can't even adjust it. 

The Kessil is also Fanless and the light and glimmer is more beautiful.  Nice and sturdy metal. Also uses less energy.  AI Prime is cheap plastic with a cheap fan that needs cleaned and uses a lot more energy. The AI Prime user face is horrible.  Not too complicated.  It's just poorly made.  I can build computers and work in BIOS so no problem with tech.

Kessil is by far superior in every way possible.  If you're in the market, it is an easy decision!

Used both and now I'm much happier with the Kessil.

letskeepcoolpeeps

As long as one person goes with Kessil over AI prime HD then my broadcast was successful.   Based on number of views this thread will get, I will at least convert 1  and save them from a horrible product.  Don't really care about convincing the weirdo regulars that just spam the forum all day.

Will be adding my amazon review 1 star soon too.

• Christopher Marks locked this topic