SaltCritters.com

Film on surface of water

LogicalReefs

I’m running a filterless tank and noticed that I’m starting to get a film of dust and particles on the water. I’ve already tried pointing my wave pump to the surface of the water and it doesn’t help. 

If I buy the Eheim 350 surface skimmer, it would basically push what ever is on the surface of the water throughout my tank since the outlet is in the water. 

Would this harm anything?

I have a 20 gallon tank. I plan to do a small water changes on Wednesday and 4-5 gallon water changes on Saturday.

I’ve used the Eheim surface skimmer on my planted tank and it worked very well since the inlet is self adjusting but it was an eyesore.

Surface agitation won’t get rid of the problem. 

An overflow took care of that for me....

7 hours ago, Andreww said:

I’ve used the Eheim surface skimmer on my planted tank and it worked very well since the inlet is self adjusting but it was an eyesore.

Surface agitation won’t get rid of the problem. 

An overflow took care of that for me....

The tank already is up and running and the money constraints wouldn’t allow me to go with a full sump. I have a place behind some rocks that it should work well behind. Eventually I will get a hang on back skimmer that would help clear the water along with the surface skimmer.

But in the meantime, would the water be bad for fish and corals? Could they survive like that?

I imagine it shouldn't hurt corals and fish as long as it's filtered.  Soluble stuff is not what's collecting on the surface.

Slightly larger alternatives to the Eheim might be the Tunze Comline or the Hydor Slim Skim - both skimmers that take water from the surface instead of from the water column. Unlike a filter, what they get out won't potentially decompose or pollute the tank, however, they may not be quite as effective at capturing the particulate stuff like dust.

2 hours ago, holy carp said:

I imagine it shouldn't hurt corals and fish as long as it's filtered.  Soluble stuff is not what's collecting on the surface.

Slightly larger alternatives to the Eheim might be the Tunze Comline or the Hydor Slim Skim - both skimmers that take water from the surface instead of from the water column. Unlike a filter, what they get out won't potentially decompose or pollute the tank, however, they may not be quite as effective at capturing the particulate stuff like dust.

The Eheim has a filter but it’s not fine. It’s more coarse and washable. So I would assume dust would get mixed into the tank water. I would hope doing water changes twice a week would help if it would have any adverse effects. 

I used the seachem tidal filter with a built in surface skimmer.

Not only was the surface clear but it helped removed particles as well.

The reviews seem to be positive on the eheim besides needing modifications for small fish and inverts, and no control over flow direction.

The surface film may impede lighting a bit.

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
2 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I used the seachem tidal filter with a built in surface skimmer.

Not only was the surface clear but it helped removed particles as well.

The reviews seem to be positive on the eheim besides needing modifications for small fish and inverts, and no control over flow direction.

The surface film may impede lighting a bit.

I actually bought that filter Clown :smilie: I love it. It has so much damn room in that it's crazy. It's all because of you lol

27 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I actually bought that filter Clown :smilie: I love it. It has so much damn room in that it's crazy. It's all because of you lol

Lmao. I'm glad you like it.

I had to buy it when I saw it online.

I know the Aquaclears are favoured but by far the Tidal is the best hob I have ever used.

Quiet, huge media basket, surface skimmer, and fully adjustable gph, and its black so it blends well with black background. 

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 minute ago, Clown79 said:

Lmao. I'm glad you like it.

I had to buy it when I saw it online.

I know the Aquaclears are favoured but by far the Tidal is the best hob I have ever used.

Quiet, huge media basket, surface skimmer, and fully adjustable gph, and its black so it blends well with black background. 

I have always been a fluval fan and I had been running the fluval c3 on this tank. Only thing I hated about it was the media tray was a bitch to get a pack of chemipure in. Plus it always seemed to bypass. 

With the tidal I had to figure best spot for the filter floss but that only took about 5 mins lol

12 hours ago, LogicalReefs said:

I’m running a filterless tank and noticed that I’m starting to get a film of dust and particles on the water. I’ve already tried pointing my wave pump to the surface of the water and it doesn’t help. 

If I buy the Eheim 350 surface skimmer, it would basically push what ever is on the surface of the water throughout my tank since the outlet is in the water. 

Would this harm anything?

I have a 20 gallon tank. I plan to do a small water changes on Wednesday and 4-5 gallon water changes on Saturday.

Do you have crazy dust in your home or something?  Because I doubt it’s as big an issue as you think.

My tanks do not have tops and until recently I had 3 dogs and a cat..... there is always husky hair flying around my house and I have no issues with “surface dust”.  Anything that does happen to be on the surface gets sucked out in my water change.  

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
32 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Do you have crazy dust in your home or something?  Because I doubt it’s as big an issue as you think.

My tanks do not have tops and until recently I had 3 dogs and a cat..... there is always husky hair flying around my house and I have no issues with “surface dust”.  Anything that does happen to be on the surface gets sucked out in my water change.  

Hey ment to ask you.. the blennys you have, haven't tried to carpet surf?? I have been holding back on grabbing one cause I don't have a top on mine and the egg crate I cut to fit seems like it kills the lighting going into the tank and I'm not a fan of how it looks with it on.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Hey ment to ask you.. the blennys you have, haven't tried to carpet surf?? I have been holding back on grabbing one cause I don't have a top on mine and the egg crate I cut to fit seems like it kills the lighting going into the tank and I'm not a fan of how it looks with it on.

Gary the Fairy jumped a few times when the flow was less forceful (and he was trying to swim like a dolphin) but I was there to save him. Now the flow is so high that he doesn’t go up there.  Star Lord perches up high but has never jumped.  

42 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

I do have a some dust. I have 2 dogs and there are always in and out the house and in my room where the tank is. I’ll probably end up buying the tidal filter. That’s sounds like a pretty good idea since it has a surface skimmer already.

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
43 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Gary the Fairy jumped a few times when the flow was less forceful (and he was trying to swim like a dolphin) but I was there to save him. Now the flow is so high that he doesn’t go up there.  Star Lord perches up high but has never jumped.  

Hmm...very interesting 

I get these surface "blooms" every so often, however I can't say my eheim surface skimmer really helped much. Only cleared out a little 6" semicircle around the intake.

I've been putting a little phosbond in the filter and it always clears up pretty quick. I'm pretty sure it's a result of excess protein from feeding, so maybe feed a bit less to reduce the occurrence, or get a protein skimmer