Coral Vue Hydros

Low Tech Desk Nano 15g

Havre

Did a 25% water change today and took some readings afterwards:

Ammonia: 0,0

Nitrite: 1,0

Nitrate: 35-40~

Slowly getting there. 🙂 Going to start using RODI water to get that alkalinity down.

• Like 1

Can happily report now that both fish in quarantine now eats with ferocity, crushed flakes. Really awesome food in a reef tank I've come to realize, the water flow makes sure it flies around instead of settling on the bottom or somewhere else, meaning most if it gets a chance to be eaten.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Havre said:

Can happily report now that both fish in quarantine now eats with ferocity, crushed flakes. Really awesome food in a reef tank I've come to realize, the water flow makes sure it flies around instead of settling on the bottom or somewhere else, meaning most if it gets a chance to be eaten.

Hey, very nice looking setup! I'll be watching to see what you do with this, especially in terms of coral. I've got a 10g system that's been up for about 2 months, but I won't be adding coral for a while yet. 

I have Omega One Marine flakes w/ Garlic, and my firefish likes it a lot. The water circulation keeps it in the water for a long time, lets him pick at it for a while. 

Also, what kind of kingfisher is that in your profile photo? It's beautiful!

15 hours ago, Firefish15 said:

Hey, very nice looking setup! I'll be watching to see what you do with this, especially in terms of coral. I've got a 10g system that's been up for about 2 months, but I won't be adding coral for a while yet. 

I have Omega One Marine flakes w/ Garlic, and my firefish likes it a lot. The water circulation keeps it in the water for a long time, lets him pick at it for a while. 

Also, what kind of kingfisher is that in your profile photo? It's beautiful!

Going to wait another 3-4 weeks probably, wait for cycle to finish then add the fish, then let them settle a bit before adding the first coral, which is probably going to be a toadstool or some kind of leather coral.

As for the kingfisher I don't know what actual kind it is. 🙂 But it is my favorite bird and they are quite common close to where I live. I recently even bought an oil painting of one. 🙂

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsS4YJtOSHtx1VszY7GyBlRB-Z0u

• Like 2
3 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Welcome to NR. That is a nice setup you are starting with. So great to see someone taking their time. I hope you have many hours of enjoyable viewing. 

Thank you. I hope so too!

Todays readings:
Ammonia: 0 (yay!)

Nitrite: 0.075~

Nitrate: 7-8~

So this weekend I can probably start moving the cleaning crew. Fish still has a week left in the quarantine tank.

• Like 1

Haha! I had no idea how thorough those snails were. Placed them onto the rock yesterday and now in the morning I can see exactly what path they've moved during the night cause there are "snail wide" clean roads on the otherwise brown algae covered rock.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Showtank is ready! No readings of either ammonia, nitrite och nitrate. I don't know where the nitrate is going though, I'm guessing its the NO3:PO4-X from the starter kit that's doing it... Anyway, fish completing their quarantine tomorrow so will move them soon, will be nice not having to maintain two systems for awhile.

• Like 2

I have no idea how to film or photograph and aquarium with a stupid iphone, seems impossible to get anything even remotely decent. Anyway heres a short vid. The clowns seem happy anyway they've just eaten like 6 1mm~ pellets each. I turned the vortech off and let the pellets sit on the surface and they came up to grab em, no pellets gone in the sand or anywhere. Clean feedings are alway snice. 🙂

• Like 2

Also broke my cover glass the other day and I've got like 0,5 liters of evaporation every day. Insane. Feel like I have to get a new one cause that's quite alot, dont want to refill autotopoff everyday.

Osmos is up! It's a simple easy line aqua medic RO unit with sediment prefilter, membrane and carbon filter. Then I've added a filter for iron and manganese and deionizer.

EDIT: Oh and a timer controlled solenoid valve thingy.

63B17B05-34B1-4544-8855-DBF5F6A74C36.jpeg

• Like 3

Got a leather coral today, added it to the front bottom of the tank after dipping & cutting off the rock from its base. Now its wedged abit between some rocks. Added quite alot of small rock around the main ones to make it look more natural. Where there is bigger rock there is also smaller ones.

Lets hope the leather survives. 🙂

• Like 2

Woke up today and the coral has opened back up! So I guess it is alive for now. It hasn't opened up as "flat" as it was in the store but that might also be because I've wedged it between the rocks so that it will stay in place. It really can't spread out however it want. 

It's a Sarcopyton/Lobophytum of some kind, with small/short polyps I think. More likely a green Lobophytum though?

20181125_081505202_iOS.jpg

20181125_081539521_iOS.jpg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Christopher Marks said:

Nice new leather coral @Havre, a big one! They usually take a few days to get fully acclimated and opened up in a new tank. 

Bigger than what I had in mind but it was the only one they had in stock atm and wasn't that expensive. 🙂

Next in line on the wish list is a toadstool leather on the left hand side rock.

Been feeding my clowns twice a day. They get roughly five 1 mm pellets each per feeding. Did testing today which went well.

Salinity 1.0265

Alkalinity 8.5

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0

pH: 8.4

So far so good.

The leathers are also quite interesting corals. They are really alive, they expand and retract lots of times during the day, and quickly too.

• Like 2

Currently got a slight bacterial bloom going on with slightly milky water. Changed 15 liters yesterday gonna change another 15 liters tomorrow. Also increased the Vortech speed temporarily to increase surface agitation.

This risk of this happening is usually higher during the early stages of a tank so I'm not going to panic, fish are fine and all parameters are perfect.

• Like 1