Pod Your Reef

What kind of shrimp is this?

Mike P

Anyone know what this could be? It looks like some kind of shrimp and I see 4 of them in my tank. They are super small and I first noticed them months ago when I would turn off all my pumps and they would just be floating on the surface until I poked at them. I do have a cleaner shrimp in my tank but I’m not sure if these could be the babies or something else. Hope it’s not a bunch of mantis shrimp.

62FB6BFA-E581-476E-8C39-0C5126AA8634.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Mike P said:

Anyone know what this could be? It looks like some kind of shrimp and I see 4 of them in my tank. They are super small and I first noticed them months ago when I would turn off all my pumps and they would just be floating on the surface until I poked at them. I do have a cleaner shrimp in my tank but I’m not sure if these could be the babies or something else. Hope it’s not a bunch of mantis shrimp.

62FB6BFA-E581-476E-8C39-0C5126AA8634.jpeg

Looks like a type of pod. I always see this type down in the sand. I have a video somewhere of one waving it’s arms to catch food. I thought they looked like mantis shrim also.  

Closest pic I could find that is similar:

1F02EB70-1DC0-491E-A8A3-4633D5874B42.thumb.png.f7088e8b6ed07879ed27d9d326da4e0c.png

4 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

Looks like a type of pod. I always see this type down in the sand. I have a video somewhere of one waving it’s arms to catch food. I thought they looked like mantis shrim also.  

Closest pic I could find that is similar:

1F02EB70-1DC0-491E-A8A3-4633D5874B42.thumb.png.f7088e8b6ed07879ed27d9d326da4e0c.png

Yeah that looks really similar. It’s a pretty big pod

20 minutes ago, Mike P said:

Yeah that looks really similar. It’s a pretty big pod

Keep us posted. I had a bunch in the beginning and then they mostly disappeared.  

• 2 weeks later...