Cultivated Reef

Is my GSP Dead/Dying

Pico5

17 hours ago, banasophia said:

1) Can you switch the units from salinity to specific gravity on your pocket tester?  From what I’m seeing online it looks like you can. I would do that since most people call it salinity but actually use specific gravity.

2) Can you test the specific gravity of both your tank and a sample of the water you are using for your water changes?

3) Did you add more Dr. Tim’s after your 60-70% water change? 

It reads 1.022 now

1 minute ago, kylexarbor said:

At this point why aren’t you adding some salt into the system to reach proper levels?

Isn’t adding salt straight to a tank bad with livestock in it? 

26 minutes ago, banasophia said:

👍 How about the water you use for your water changes, what does it read? 

The water I’m using to do the water change is the same. 1.022

13 minutes ago, Pico5 said:

Isn’t adding salt straight to a tank bad with livestock in it? 

I’m saying add salt to the water you’re doing water changes with until it’s at a more suitable level, then add it to your system. You can slowly do this over the course of a water change or two to not shock the system. 

1 hour ago, Pico5 said:

The water I’m using to do the water change is the same. 1.022

Okay, so tell us more about your water source then. Is it collected or mixed by your local fish store and they fill your water jugs up with it, or is it packaged like the Imagitarium natural seawater you can get at Petco? 

3 hours ago, banasophia said:

Okay, so tell us more about your water source then. Is it collected or mixed by your local fish store and they fill your water jugs up with it, or is it packaged like the Imagitarium natural seawater you can get at Petco? 

They fill up jugs for me. 

Well it seems weird that they are mixing to an SG of only 1.022, and 1.022 is on the low end of the spectrum for natural sea water, but some areas do naturally run that low from some searching I just did, such as the Indo Pacific.  I’m thinking you may be better off buying RODI and then mixing in the salt yourself, if that’s an option. Or checking your other local LFSs to find out if one has saltwater at closer to 1.025. Where do you live?

Oh Yea, and the ice Cap salinity tester has an accuracy of within 2 when using ppt but within 1 when using specific gravity. 

You'll get much more consistent and accurate readings switch it. 

12 hours ago, banasophia said:

Well it seems weird that they are mixing to an SG of only 1.022, and 1.022 is on the low end of the spectrum for natural sea water, but some areas do naturally run that low from some searching I just did, such as the Indo Pacific.  I’m thinking you may be better off buying RODI and then mixing in the salt yourself, if that’s an option. Or checking your other local LFSs to find out if one has saltwater at closer to 1.025. Where do you live?

Yeah I think I’ll start getting RODI water and mixing myself if that is the case. I love in San Jose California. 

• Like 1