Innovative Marine Aquariums

Sharbuckles 78g - April Video

Sharbuckle

23 hours ago, Sharbuckle said:

Am I crazy thinking of adding some xenia? Someone tell me i'm nuts 

Xenia is great for nutrient export, I use it at the shop for that reason and I send out frags when customers request them. I'd put it in a refugium though. Indian Ocean Emporers eat the hell out of it. As for the Majano anemones, Scats will eat them. Right now there are quite a few available out of Sri Lanka. It takes a while to acclimate them to full marine water, about 12 hours. If you're going to go that route, you'll need a tank to QT them and acclimate them in. I have 0 Aiptasias or Majano anemones now that I have them deployed in the runs. Damn nice tank.

On 11/2/2018 at 6:46 PM, Christopher Marks said:

Seriously! It looks amazing on the new tank, its filling out so nicely.

Do it! I think xenia would really compliment the corals that you have in there and fill in some spaces. Did @dpoltsdsu's nano reef inspire you? I love how the xenia flows in his system.

I think what I may do is let some other corals get nice and established and then toss in some cespitularia perhaps? A little easier to control I think. 

17 hours ago, DCUEVAS74 said:

You really out did yourself on an already awesome tank with the upgrade.  Bravo my friend!  Bravo!

Thank you! 

16 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

Xenia is great for nutrient export, I use it at the shop for that reason and I send out frags when customers request them. I'd put it in a refugium though. Indian Ocean Emporers eat the hell out of it. As for the Majano anemones, Scats will eat them. Right now there are quite a few available out of Sri Lanka. It takes a while to acclimate them to full marine water, about 12 hours. If you're going to go that route, you'll need a tank to QT them and acclimate them in. I have 0 Aiptasias or Majano anemones now that I have them deployed in the runs. Damn nice tank.

Only recently saw a scat. Cool looking fish. My filefish is doing a great job on the majano so far so most likely all I need. Thanks for the information 🙂 also thanks for the compliment 🙂

yesterday my favourite LFS, Marinescape in Ottawa, Ontario, received a shipment of Tonga corals. Before they even had a chance to open up I took a gamble on a zoanthid rock. As they open up more I’ll post a picture but the gamble definitely paid off, they almost look like bam bams with a yellow skirt! Awesome.

My goniopora hasn’t looked great since I’ve moved it over to this tank.... hopefully with some TLC and regular feedings it will bounce back.

Did some testing last night,

Kh - 7.1

Ca - 550

Mag - 1110

Sg - 1.025

Temp 78

Im okay with alkalinity being that low but calcium is super high and magnesium is quite low. Gonna do a water change this morning and test again later in the day. I’m using reef crystals currently and don’t have a lot of calcium pigs in the tank. Could be the reason why it’s so high. 

• Like 1

It would seem that either my larger black leopard wrasse either didn't bury himself well enough. The other possibility is that hes dead, pretty sure hes dead. Have had the fish just shy of two months and barely ever saw it. I suspect it starved, I dosed pods a few times and would feed heavily every time it was out and about. It was eating everything form flake, pellet, mysis, brine, even nori. Guess it just wasn't enough. 

• Sad 1
1 minute ago, Sharbuckle said:

UPDATE: The wrasse just sucks at burying itself, slightly moved and now i can see its still breathing. 

Quit playing with my emotions! 😄

glad he’s alive. 🙂

• Like 1
1 minute ago, WV Reefer said:

Quit playing with my emotions! 😄

glad he’s alive. 🙂

haha its not my fault, its the stupidest fish. 

• Haha 1

OMG this old eheim pump is just way too loud. I can hear my tank vibrations from upstairs. I need a new option.

Sicce Syncra is my usual go to, i may have to give them a go. 

The gorgonian in the lower right portion of the tank annoys me. It’s so big and fluffy but i just can’t find a spot for it where it holds itself somewhat upright. Right now it’s just kind of leaning against the glass which drives me bananas. May just sell it, or frag it up. Time will tell. 

F099926B-FCD3-4F46-9F44-5768DFC2CC6D.jpeg

B8B98019-B6AD-4C86-B8A1-A3B812DDD555.jpeg

• Like 2

Since the filefish has been dumped the zoanthids are starting to open again, although I think it completely ate one plug. Oh well. 

One of my toadstools is getting so big it’s shading all the clove polyps and rhodactis under it. I’ve moved some mushrooms and I’ve got small patches of clove all over the tank so I’m not worried about them.

decided my sand bed was getting a little cluttered so I moved some things around.

horrible photo but you can see the nice open area in the front now. 

26575F3A-0592-4F00-96F3-DE2EB35B5473.jpeg

• Like 2

Well my tank has been getting progressively louder, the return and plumbing are vibrating so much it’s frightening. Realistically I probably won’t be using the manifold so I think I’m going to buy a new sicce syncra return pump and use some soft tubing for the return. Reduce as much noise as I can. I can hear it in my bedroom a floor away! 

My 29g Refugium is still up and running with Big Mama the clown. I decided I wanted to give her a better home so I’m cleaning it up. Calling it Operation: Big Mamas House. Today was phase one. Removed a ton of macro algae and threw it in my 78g sump as it’s FULL of pods and life. Also a friend bought me a haddoni carpet nem for my birthday and surprised me with it today. So Big Mama is one happy clown and my 78g finally gets a proper chunk of macro for the fuge. 

BBA94538-1A5F-4DFF-B2C9-145C11596746.jpeg

4E5A70FA-ADAC-45A1-8E8A-246C3FBF4209.jpeg

I took the small chunk of Halimeda out. No need for that in the fuge, or any tank for that matter. 

• Like 5
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
On 11/21/2018 at 11:00 PM, Sharbuckle said:

My 29g Refugium is still up and running with Big Mama the clown. I decided I wanted to give her a better home so I’m cleaning it up. Calling it Operation: Big Mamas House. Today was phase one. Removed a ton of macro algae and threw it in my 78g sump as it’s FULL of pods and life. Also a friend bought me a haddoni carpet nem for my birthday and surprised me with it today. So Big Mama is one happy clown and my 78g finally gets a proper chunk of macro for the fuge. 

BBA94538-1A5F-4DFF-B2C9-145C11596746.jpeg

4E5A70FA-ADAC-45A1-8E8A-246C3FBF4209.jpeg

I took the small chunk of Halimeda out. No need for that in the fuge, or any tank for that matter. 

I like the nem :smilie:. I want to get some macro algae for my 20 would be cool to have some plant life in there plus it would be nice to help with nutrients