Pod Your Reef

Sharbuckles 78g - April Video

Sharbuckle

11 hours ago, Sharbuckle said:

Why do I keep getting the urge to add Xenia to this tank? Someone help. 

Just add it in then but keep on an island. I added GSP to mine and will watch it like a hawk on its own island of rock.  Love it but must control it. Ha Ha. 

Love your tank BTW. 

11 hours ago, Sharbuckle said:

Why do I keep getting the urge to add Xenia to this tank? Someone help. 

😄

What about Cepistularia instead? Looks similar but not as prolific. 

1 hour ago, WV Reefer said:

😄

What about Cepistularia instead? Looks similar but not as prolific. 

I was looking at that last night! I hear they ship poorly so I’ll have to find some local. Also, if I can find it. Red Bali Xenia, I hear it doesn’t spread like the usual stuff. 

1 hour ago, A Little Blue said:

I really dig this tank. Well done. 

Thank you so much 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Jeff Hood said:

Just add it in then but keep on an island. I added GSP to mine and will watch it like a hawk on its own island of rock.  Love it but must control it. Ha Ha. 

Love your tank BTW. 

Thanks! I’ve got a little GSP rock as well. That’s a good idea, but for some reason I just keep thinking I want to let it fill out all my rocks... anyway I probably won’t but it’s still on my mind. Maybe I’ll grab some nice papaya clove polyps instead. 

• Like 1

My girlfriend just called me in a panic telling me the sump is bubbling like crazy and making iots of noise. The tubing for the return came lose and the pump was going nuts just shooting water everywhere. Realized I forgot to secure it when I put the new pump in..... oops. Better get home and zip tie it.

• Sad 1
  • Wow 1
On 2/10/2019 at 2:42 PM, Sharbuckle said:

I’ve done it! I’ve actually done it! 20% water change complete. 

Here are are some pics to prove it.

1BC9F4DB-E009-4A79-9415-D5679229CFA1.jpeg

831F7F70-3099-4628-8606-B0E2BA60086E.jpeg

961C7E73-B597-47F3-B3B0-6256439BB62D.jpeg

C756F6E8-97B7-4696-AB8B-B1148A7D3FF0.jpeg

4F6E8087-2543-4D55-A859-232F030B7A03.jpeg

DF70BBEF-F360-4103-893E-0BEA6FFA6A2F.jpeg

Yay!!! Looks nice 😀

1 hour ago, Sharbuckle said:

My girlfriend just called me in a panic telling me the sump is bubbling like crazy and making iots of noise. The tubing for the return came lose and the pump was going nuts just shooting water everywhere. Realized I forgot to secure it when I put the new pump in..... oops. Better get home and zip tie it.

Good catch from the girlfriend! 

• Like 1
Christopher Marks
On 2/10/2019 at 12:42 PM, Sharbuckle said:

I’ve done it! I’ve actually done it! 20% water change complete. 

Here are are some pics to prove it.

👏

What's the most annoying part of water changes for you? Has it been harder with a bigger tank? I always hate waiting around for new water to heat up and circulate, I usually get distracted by something else in the interim and delay the water change all day.

The reef is looking fantastic!

9 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

👏

What's the most annoying part of water changes for you? Has it been harder with a bigger tank? I always hate waiting around for new water to heat up and circulate, I usually get distracted by something else in the interim and delay the water change all day.

The reef is looking fantastic!

It’s not one particular part that I find annoying, it’s the whole process haha. I don’t find the water change harder on a bigger tank but the new challenge is there is no water source on the floor the tank is on. However, I’m going to stick to a strict water change schedule now and will post if I see any changes. 

• Like 1

Are starfish a problem? I only have maybe 3.5 in my tank-two or three little black ones and a little white one someone keeps nibbling. Do they spread fast or something? Harlequins are interesting looking shrimp but they'd starve to death in my tank.

25 minutes ago, Nursecop818 said:

Are starfish a problem? I only have maybe 3.5 in my tank-two or three little black ones and a little white one someone keeps nibbling. Do they spread fast or something? Harlequins are interesting looking shrimp but they'd starve to death in my tank.

Asterinas can get out of control and start munching on coral, I noticed some of my zoanthids are getting nibbled on. Once it’s done eating the starfish I’ll give it away to someone else with a prOblem. 

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Sharbuckle said:

Asterinas can get out of control and start munching on coral, I noticed some of my zoanthids are getting nibbled on. Once it’s done eating the starfish I’ll give it away to someone else with a prOblem. 

That makes sense. I haven't noticed any nibbled corals thankfully, but like I said I have basically no star fish in my tank yet. Maybe they won't be too much of a problem.

1 hour ago, Nursecop818 said:

That makes sense. I haven't noticed any nibbled corals thankfully, but like I said I have basically no star fish in my tank yet. Maybe they won't be too much of a problem.

Ive had tanks where I never had a single asterina. Then, some like this current tank, they show up by the dozens. If you do see any, the best first step is to remove them by hand every time you see one. 

1 hour ago, Sharbuckle said:

Ive had tanks where I never had a single asterina. Then, some like this current tank, they show up by the dozens. If you do see any, the best first step is to remove them by hand every time you see one. 

Aw that kind of makes me sad-I like seeing little star fish in there for now. But I haven't noticed them near my corals either, so maybe they're happy nibbling on the live rock for now. And something has been nibbling the little white one anyway. He may not last much longer.