ReefCleaners.org

Toadstool Care

12scanlon

I acquired a toadstool a week ago. While acclimating it, it opened in the bag. I put it into my tank and it then opened. The next day I came home and noticed it had fallen so I put it back onto the rock work. In short, a rogue hermit would not leave the toadstool alone and knocked it off the rock work 2 or 3 times (didn’t want to glue it down in case it wanted more or less flow) It hasn’t  opened since. I have blasted it with a turkey baster to make sure it wasn’t shedding. How long does it normally take for a toadstool to open back up? Here’s a picture...

F21A50BE-3809-4D78-9D63-190BAB877620.jpeg

6A653741-6791-4DD9-BC5F-8668FC0B950A.jpeg

It can be days to weeks. They are the moodiest coral I've ever owned.

Touching them, moving them, waterchanges, detritus buildup can cause it to close up. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, 12scanlon said:

Hopefully it opens quickly

Hopefully. Don't stress if it doesn't though.

Unless its melting, its generally just being grumpy when it stays closed.

9 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Hopefully. Don't stress if it doesn't though.

Unless its melting, its generally just being grumpy when it stays closed.

Kinda like zoas?

I had some zoas that were closed for at least two weeks and when they opened up they were colorful and healthy as ever. 

1 minute ago, 12scanlon said:

Kinda like zoas?

I had some zoas that were closed for at least two weeks and when they opened up they were colorful and healthy as ever. 

I've had a few toadstool. Each ones moodiness was different.

I had 1 that didn't open for 3 weeks after adding it and then bam, full out opened in 1 day.

Cool... Hope this dude gets over his moodiness?😂 this 1 seems to be very affected by hermits and sand. When I first got him he got a little bit of sand on him and totally closed up in second. Then when I blew the sand off in about 5 min he was already back openend. Hopefully my hermits aren’t messing with my toadstool while I’m gone ore he’ll never open. Thanks!🎃

1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

I've had a few toadstool. Each ones moodiness was different.

I had 1 that didn't open for 3 weeks after adding it and then bam, full out opened in 1 day.

my bicolour blenny sat on mine so much it never opened for like 2 months and algae grew on it then it died :,(

1 hour ago, BlennyBoi said:

my bicolour blenny sat on mine so much it never opened for like 2 months and algae grew on it then it died :,(

Ya they don't enjoy being hosted by fish

My last toadstool was super happy until the clown started hanging around in it. Then it was super peeved.

It’s just being grumpy because it keeps getting moved. They don't like being jostled, moved, or bothered. I had the same issue with mine when i first got it. It closed up for about a week and i was concerned i was losing it. I left it alone, it shed (which i think they often do when put in a new tank), and it took off. After a year i had to trade it for a smaller version as it was taking over my 14g. Try to keep from moving it for a while and it will settle down. I understand the crab may not see things ur way, so if you can, rubber band the toady to the rock. 

11 hours ago, Oldsalt01 said:

It’s just being grumpy because it keeps getting moved. They don't like being jostled, moved, or bothered. I had the same issue with mine when i first got it. It closed up for about a week and i was concerned i was losing it. I left it alone, it shed (which i think they often do when put in a new tank), and it took off. After a year i had to trade it for a smaller version as it was taking over my 14g. Try to keep from moving it for a while and it will settle down. I understand the crab may not see things ur way, so if you can, rubber band the toady to the rock. 

I have him in a good spot where he can’t fall right now. I wasn’t able to look at home today except for when the lights were ramping down, but it seems he was open. His polyps were kinda open but I can’t be sure if they fully extended.

On 10/31/2018 at 10:30 AM, Clown79 said:

Ya they don't enjoy being hosted by fish

My last toadstool was super happy until the clown started hanging around in it. Then it was super peeved.

oh. i bought mine for my clown to host. i have heard theyre the second best to nems. good thing it didnt host then!

On 10/29/2018 at 11:23 PM, Clown79 said:

It can be days to weeks. They are the moodiest coral I've ever owned.

Touching them, moving them, waterchanges, detritus buildup can cause it to close up. 

Right here. ^^^

Mine closed for a month once after I moved a powerhead. 

2 hours ago, SaltyBuddha said:

Right here. ^^^

Mine closed for a month once after I moved a powerhead. 

They remind me of cats, they don't adapt to change quickly. Lol.

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

My cabbage leather is pissed 80 percent of the time and it's been in the same spot for 4 months lol. Nothing goes near him

That’s an Oof.😂😂

DSFIRSTSLTWATER

It's funny cause when he gets mad he folds like a taco. Well he's been folded so long the other day he opened up and had good PE he was white where the light wasn't hitting him. Sometimes I wish I didnt fall into I'll get soft corals for my first coral.

1 hour ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

It's funny cause when he gets mad he folds like a taco. Well he's been folded so long the other day he opened up and had good PE he was white where the light wasn't hitting him. Sometimes I wish I didnt fall into I'll get soft corals for my first coral.

😂😂😂 I don’t think humans will ever really understand corals

• Like 1