SaltCritters.com

Baby tube worm or something sinister?

GendryDog9798

GendryDog9798

Hello all! 

I am still new to the reef world, having only been in about 6 months. I noticed this guy on the glass today and have read about hydroids and baby tube worms but not sure what he is. I received a zoa frag about 3-4 weeks ago and it has yet to open fully. I noticed some hair algae around the base and thought that may be the issue so after reading (and getting the nerve up) I did a 1:1 peroxide dip this morning with tank water. I noticed a couple strands after adding back to the tank and when I went to tweeze them off one seemed to close up. Right after I noticed this guy on the glass. I’m assuming they are related because it’s a strange coincidence, but I’m really not sure. When I go to touch he closes fast and comes right back out. I’ve read about hydroids and aiptasia possibly stinging zoa’s so wondering if that is what it is and why the zoas may not have opened? 

Thanks in in advance for any info! 

F357062D-12CA-4816-9693-D8B39B99BDA8.jpeg

GendryDog9798

Thanks for the reply! I wondered about hrdroids but I’ve had this frag for several weeks and wondered if I would see more by now around it. Any idea how fast hydroids grow to unmanageable? 

It depends on the tank. I've never had much of a problem with them. Just limit your feedings and avoid small broadcast foods like reef rods. If they persist, hydrogen peroxide would make quick work of them, I suppose.

GendryDog9798

Got a better picture of the ones hanging out in the frag. I tried to pull them off but they close up quick! Please excuse my frag...he was pretty ticked at me trying to get this thing. I guess I still don’t know if I should worry or wait it out?? It looks like a tubeworm from my inexperienced eye, but reading on other stuff makes me nervous. Thanks again in advance for any info. 

E0F27B42-9B95-4EC8-8B5A-53CAD66C8E53.jpeg

B83296F6-51CD-4320-8962-52585C1A1BE8.jpeg

Still tough to tell from those pics. If you are worried about them, just super glue the tubes shut. Worst case scenario, you kill a few tiny dusters.