Pod Your Reef

Euphyllia compatibility and tips

Muffin87

Sorry I posted this in the wrong subforum, can you move it to beginners?

Can I put two euphyllia yaeyamaensis (Frogspawn, Thick Branched) next to each other? Or are they gonna sting each other, even if they belong to the same species?

I know some members of the euphyllia family are immune to each other and can be kept very close.

Can I keep a euphyllia yaeyamaensis near to a normal Frogspawn (euphyllia divisa / paradivisa)?

Are there any tips to avoid brown jelly with Euphyllia? Such as placement for example?

Can I put them at the top of the rockwork where you'd put SPS?

Thanks a lot!

Well, coral forum would be a better place for this. But, I figure most euphyllia species are fairly compatible. I’ve kept hammers, frogspawn, and octospawn all intermingling. I’ve heard torch are a no go with other euphyllia, but I’ve never tested that one out for myself. I’ve never had To deal with brown jelly disease, so I’m of no help there.

• Like 1

I'd say that dipping would help prevent against brown jelly. Keeping them apart can also help with it. I kept a short branch tonga torch next to a normal one. The tonga got stung and then got brown jelly. 

I've had luck with euphyllia everywhere in my tank, but I think they like more light than my other LPS. Lighting/placement shouldn't have anything to do with brown jelly.

And torches don't mix with any other euphyllia.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Joevember said:

I'd say that dipping would help prevent against brown jelly.

you mean just dipping them once when you first get it from the LFS, not like every once in a while.

Just now, Muffin87 said:

you mean just dipping them once when you first get it from the LFS, not like every once in a while.

Yeah, just when you get them. If something looks off, you might want to dip again, but you should ask here if you see something wrong.

Frogspawn and hammers generally are fine right next to each other.

Torches apparently are not but I've never tried it myself.

Brown jelly disease, prevention is not buying a coral with it because it can spread even if they aren't next to each other.

It is very contagious and not to just euphyllia.

http://aquariumcoraldiseases.weebly.com/brown-jelly-syndrome-bjs--brown-band-disease-brb.html

16 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Brown jelly disease, prevention is not buying a coral with it because it can spread even if they aren't next to each other.

I lost a coral to brown jelly around a month ago, my candy canes have been fine since.

I got an elegance nearly a week ago (I dipped it), and it's shown no signs of BJS.

Is it safe to assume BJ is not a threat to my tank anymore and I can add euphyllias?

Not sure about those different types of frogspawn you posted, but torches have a very strong sting. They can touch each other, but not other types of euphilia or other corals, and they can develop long sweepers. And if a piece of their tentacle breaks off and gets on another coral, it will also injure the other coral, so you have to remove any broken tips right away. 

8082F945-B7AD-4BCF-B2EB-89173D0F015A.thumb.jpeg.4733e5b91922b4e23419c546a7ec70aa.jpeg

55431D93-4ABC-4BDD-BE7F-B8C11814ADBF.thumb.jpeg.2ceea68b657afc268efed98f1ea12cb4.jpeg

• Like 1
SURVEYMAN46123

I keep torches next to each other with no issues, but do not put them near any other euphyllia.   My hammers and frogspawn all touch with no issues.

I've dealt with brown jelly twice now.   Never really a sign of when its coming in my experience.   Once its there, I haven't been able to save the individual piece and it ends up getting tossed.   

• 1 month later...

I know this is a little older of a post but wanted to share my experience. I've had a torch intermingled with a hammer and frogspawn for the last few months and have not had any issues. May be an exception to the rule but in my case it's working

On 1/1/2019 at 2:07 PM, haynesn12 said:

I know this is a little older of a post but wanted to share my experience. I've had a torch intermingled with a hammer and frogspawn for the last few months and have not had any issues. May be an exception to the rule but in my case it's working

Thanks a lot!

My main concern is the compatibility of euphyllia yaeyamaensis (Frogspawn, Thick Branched) with other Euphyllias. There doesn't seem to be any info about that, so I guess I'll have to find out myself! So far so good!