Coral Vue Hydros

Help with some algae

FishyTheManokit

7 minutes ago, FishyTheManokit said:

So, some weird looking algae has appeared in my tank and I have no idea what I should do to get rid of it

20181028_131526.jpg

20181028_131522.jpg

What algae are we talking about? I see green on the rocks which is normal and diatoms on the sand which is normal. 

FishyTheManokit
44 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

What algae are we talking about? I see green on the rocks which is normal and diatoms on the sand which is normal. 

The black looking one on the rocks

FishyTheManokit
22 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

It’s really hard to tell from that pic. Does it come off?

Probably, it's a dark green almost black. It looks almost gelatinous and it has air bubbles trapped under it

35 minutes ago, FishyTheManokit said:

Probably, it's a dark green almost black. It looks almost gelatinous and it has air bubbles trapped under it

Weird. I’d just suck it off there if you are worried about it.  

On 10/28/2018 at 1:35 PM, FishyTheManokit said:

It's probably cyano of some sort if it has bubbles and forms in a mat like shape.  There are a LOT of different types of cyano.

It's not cyanobacteria. You have to click on his pic a few times to expand it. It's valonia bubbles growing under the edge of the mushroom coral. 

Valonia are difficult to treat. The best thing you can do is to shut off all flow (pumps, filters, etc.) and pluck them out manually with tweezers. Don't worry about popping them, just focus on getting them out whole and un-torn if you can. Anything that you can do to avoid spreading little chunks and bits of it around your tank would be best. Whenever you see it, remove it ASAP and you can stay ahead of it. 

Green and Red Mythrax crabs will nibble on it as well as other algaes but they can be hit or miss. You might need a few of them to get a good crab that really targets problem valonia infestation. 

OP, take a closer and more detailed picture of the area in question.  If you are taking about the cluster of bubbles in the upper right corner of the picture under the mushroom, that is indeed valonia.  If you are talking about that blackish mass on the bottom left side of your rock in the pic, that looks like sponge growth or bacterial mat.  

1 hour ago, mndfreeze said:

OP, take a closer and more detailed picture of the area in question.  If you are taking about the cluster of bubbles in the upper right corner of the picture under the mushroom, that is indeed valonia.  If you are talking about that blackish mass on the bottom left side of your rock in the pic, that looks like sponge growth or bacterial mat.  

Agreed, need an additional close up picture of the algae of concern so we can better assist. 🙂