Coral Vue Hydros

Zebra Periwinkles?

zhivaham

I finished cycling my 20g FOWLR tank and have had two mollies in it for a couple of weeks with stable parameters, so I decided it was time for some inverts.  I recently saw a snail called the zebra periwinkle on reefcleaners and was wondering if anyone had experience with them?  From what I understand they don’t actually aid as part of a CUC, which doesn’t really bother me because I just think they’re adorable.  My issue is that I have read that they are an intertidal species that spends most of their time out of the water.  I don’t mind if they hang out outside the water sometimes, as I do have a lid, but I don’t want a snail that is restricted to just living on the rim of my tank all the time.

18 hours ago, zhivaham said:

I finished cycling my 20g FOWLR tank and have had two mollies in it for a couple of weeks with stable parameters, so I decided it was time for some inverts.  I recently saw a snail called the zebra periwinkle on reefcleaners and was wondering if anyone had experience with them?  From what I understand they don’t actually aid as part of a CUC, which doesn’t really bother me because I just think they’re adorable.  My issue is that I have read that they are an intertidal species that spends most of their time out of the water.  I don’t mind if they hang out outside the water sometimes, as I do have a lid, but I don’t want a snail that is restricted to just living on the rim of my tank all the time.

They're teeny. Like, 3-4mm maybe in size. The ones I've gotten are dark. They seem to have a hard time with transit to my house but the survivors mostly have stayed in the water. Once in a while I find one outside the tank. They're cute, though, and doesn't hurt to add them I think. @johnmaloney could probably tell you more.