SaltCritters.com

Pool Filter Sand to Save $$$

AbnormalReefer

AbnormalReefer

As the title says, will this save me money, or will this be asking for leeching of unknown metals, diatom outbreak, and lots of other headache? I’m on a tight budget setting up a 180 gallon tank without help from my parents. If I could save 80 dollars or so to work towards something I do not want to skimp on (ie. A MONSTER protein skimmer) that’d be great. However I do not want to deal with loads of headache or the aforementioned issues just to save some money. Thanks all!

AbnormalReefer
25 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Pool sand is horrible. It's full of silicates.

Aragonite sand has benefits to it, pool sand does not.

There is always bare bottom option.

Thanks clown. I was considering the bare bottom option as well. Do you have any recommendations as to what I could do to prevent algae growth on the bottom glass and make it more athestetically pleasing?

Also maybe post on your local FB reefing site... people might have leftover sand they will give you from when they set up their tanks. Setting up, stocking, and maintaining a 180 gallon tank seems like it will be costly... you sure you want to do that on a tight budget? 

• Like 1
AbnormalReefer
2 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Also maybe post on your local FB reefing site... people might have leftover sand they will give you from when they set up their tanks. Setting up, stocking, and maintaining a 180 gallon tank seems like it will be costly... you sure you want to do that on a tight budget? 

It’s mainly setting up the tank that will be the main thing. Maintenance won’t be a problem, I earn enough to cover my costs in salt and chemicals. Stocking I can always go slow. I earn about 150-200 a month from chores, maybe more if I sell my old clothes and the such.

Im strongly debating a bare bottom setup at this point. I don’t really want to deal with cleaning a sandbed that big every 2 weeks.

4 minutes ago, AbnormalReeder said:

It’s mainly setting up the tank that will be the main thing. Maintenance won’t be a problem, I earn enough to cover my costs in salt and chemicals. Stocking I can always go slow. I earn about 150-200 a month from chores, maybe more if I sell my old clothes and the such.

Im strongly debating a bare bottom setup at this point. I don’t really want to deal with cleaning a sandbed that big every 2 weeks.

Ah, I just read your profile and I see you have lots of experience with freshwater and saltwater tanks, so it looks like you are aware of all the costs and work involved. 🙂 cool that you got into the hobby at such a young age, and are so dedicated to it!! 

• Thanks 1
AbnormalReefer
3 hours ago, banasophia said:

Ah, I just read your profile and I see you have lots of experience with freshwater and saltwater tanks, so it looks like you are aware of all the costs and work involved. 🙂 cool that you got into the hobby at such a young age, and are so dedicated to it!! 

Thank you! I try my best as a 14 year old in the hobby. It ain’t a cheap hobby either. I’ve had to sacrifice lots of stuff, like the new iPhone or that new jacket! 😂 

7 hours ago, AbnormalReeder said:

Thanks clown. I was considering the bare bottom option as well. Do you have any recommendations as to what I could do to prevent algae growth on the bottom glass and make it more athestetically pleasing?

People with barebottom often siphon up any buildup of detritus with their waterchanges.

For hard algaes you can scrape it off with straight razors or even a credit card, membership card(preferably one you no longer use)

It's a lot faster than maintaining a sandbed.

• Thanks 1