Top Shelf Aquatics

Noob to saltwater need advice

Noobreefer90

So I recently decided that I want to start a 16g biocube nano tank. Thing is I don’t have a clue where to even start what to do while cycling or anything. 

From what I’ve heard I can run just a hang in back filter and a power head for circulation.

a fish guy I’ve did business with has the biocube and live rock to start me off. 

Ive had fresh water cichlids tanks for years just wanted something new 

If you get a bio cube you won't need a hang on back filter. That's an all in one tank. The back chambers are essentially a miniature sump area. Most people put their filter media in there. 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, ReefGoat said:

If you get a bio cube you won't need a hang on back filter. That's an all in one tank. The back chambers are essentially a miniature sump area. Most people put their filter media in there. 

The guy I’m getting it from said it didn’t have a filter so idk maybe the retire filter is just gone

There is so much information regarding keeping a saltwater reef that's its impossible to write it all out.

Unfortunately there is no simple answer.

The first step is doing a ton of research.

It's the best piece of advice anyone  give.

There is tons of info just on this forum.

Nitrogen cycle

Fishless Cycling of a tank 

Water chemistry

Lighting

Weekly maintenance

Filtration

Familiarize yourself with all in one tanks because that's what the biocube is. It has chambers in the back where filter media goes. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

There is so much information regarding keeping a saltwater reef that's its impossible to write it all out.

Unfortunately there is no simple answer.

The first step is doing a ton of research.

It's the best piece of advice anyone  give.

There is tons of info just on this forum.

Nitrogen cycle

Fishless Cycling of a tank 

Water chemistry

Lighting

Weekly maintenance

Filtration

Familiarize yourself with all in one tanks because that's what the biocube is. It has chambers in the back where filter media goes. 

I’ve been doing my research seen a guy use dr Tim’s one and only and dr Tim’s ammonium chloride to cycle his tank in a week 

and I’ve been looking into lighting some little led fixture. Gotta go cheap to start off

going to order the saltwater master test kit 

guy im getting tank from sells filters and live rock as well. 

The Biocube 16 has LED lights already built into the canopy (lid) that have timers and work well for corals including softies, LPS corals, and some SPS corals. I have it, and it’s an excellent first saltwater tank. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Noobreefer90 said:

I’ve been doing my research seen a guy use dr Tim’s one and only and dr Tim’s ammonium chloride to cycle his tank in a week 

and I’ve been looking into lighting some little led fixture. Gotta go cheap to start off

going to order the saltwater master test kit 

guy im getting tank from sells filters and live rock as well. 

See that's why you need to read that link I put that is called "the microbiology of reef tank cycling". If you're going to use TRUE LIVE ROCK. There is no need to even worry about Dr. Tim's one and only or the Ammonia. Which leads me to my second point. Don't get caught up in the "I cycled my tank this quick" crowd. Let the tank do it's thing and be patient. The cube you are looking at buying. Is it used? Did the previous owner remove the lid? Because these tanks come with a light that should be more than sufficient at growing the beginner coral you'll likely be keeping. Cheap is OK you just have to be smart about it. First off you need to read through that link that I posted and decide if what they are selling you is really "live rock". The thread breaks down tank setups into 4 groups and the different ways of cycling each based on what you're using. This is important. 

• Like 3

I'm going to link you to a thread that just happened a couple weeks ago. I'm pretty sure this person had the same tank as you as well. But it's going to cover MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE. That's another thing you should familiarize yourself with. In this thread you'll see how badly and quickly a tank can get out of hand. Please read this thread. It's probably going to answer a lot of the questions you'll inevitably have. 

• Like 3

Welp, to offer a different point of view here, not to just be disagreeable... I used live Caribsea Liferock, added BioSpira beneficial bacteria, and one jug of NutriSeawater to boost my beneficial bacteria as I started both my tanks and it worked really well for me, my tanks were both cycled in 7-10 days. 

5 hours ago, ReefGoat said:

See that's why you need to read that link I put that is called "the microbiology of reef tank cycling". If you're going to use TRUE LIVE ROCK. There is no need to even worry about Dr. Tim's one and only or the Ammonia. Which leads me to my second point. Don't get caught up in the "I cycled my tank this quick" crowd. Let the tank do it's thing and be patient. The cube you are looking at buying. Is it used? Did the previous owner remove the lid? Because these tanks come with a light that should be more than sufficient at growing the beginner coral you'll likely be keeping. Cheap is OK you just have to be smart about it. First off you need to read through that link that I posted and decide if what they are selling you is really "live rock". The thread breaks down tank setups into 4 groups and the different ways of cycling each based on what you're using. This is important. 

The guy I’m getting the cube from buys and sells used tanks so it is used and doesn’t have the light or filter

and the live rock he has prolly came from a saltwater tank he had bought 

I recommend you do a lot of reading and watch videos on YouTube to learn lots of the basics. BRS 52 Weeks of Reefing is a good place to start. 

• Like 3

Also, since you’re getting a Biocube 16, check out people’s Biocube 16 threads which show how people set up their tanks. I just linked many of them in someone else’s thread last night, so check this out if you haven’t already seen it: 

On 10/26/2018 at 5:19 PM, ReefGoat said:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-microbiology-of-reef-tank-cycling.214618/

I would recommend first and foremost familiarizing yourself with the nitrogen cycle. This thread has everything you need to know. Memorize it.......a guy named 1891bro showed me it and it's fantastic 

Anyone know what’s going on with 1891Bro? I don’t think he’s posted since early September... I sent him a pm a few weeks ago to see what was up, but I never heard anything.

2 hours ago, banasophia said:

Anyone know what’s going on with 1891Bro? I don’t think he’s posted since early September... I sent him a pm a few weeks ago to see what was up, but I never heard anything.

Say “Derrick” three times and he’ll appear before your eyes like magic.  

18 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Say “Derrick” three times and he’ll appear before your eyes like magic.  

You’re not saying 1891Bro is Derrick???

29 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

I’m not saying that at all. 

Oh thank goodness... you were about to blow my mind haha!!! That would’ve been a strange turn of events. 😜🤣

• Like 1
19 hours ago, banasophia said:

Oh thank goodness... you were about to blow my mind haha!!! That would’ve been a strange turn of events. 😜🤣

No he's definitely not Derrick.

On 10/27/2018 at 1:22 PM, Noobreefer90 said:

The guy I’m getting the cube from buys and sells used tanks so it is used and doesn’t have the light or filter

and the live rock he has prolly came from a saltwater tank he had bought 

The biocube has back chambers that act as a sump. It needs filter media, that's what the owner means by no filter.

• Like 2