Reefkid88

Algae Scrubber in nano ?

Reefkid88

So I have been thinking about making a small algae scrubber for my new build. So my question is,in a nano is it beneficial to run one as my main form of filtration or is it not even worth it ? 

• Like 1

Porkpie5000

I'm thinking about trying one of the Santa Monica DROP filters in my IM 10.

Reefkid88
6 minutes ago, Porkpie5000 said:

I'm thinking about trying one of the Santa Monica DROP filters in my IM 10.

I saw them for a little over $100 but know I can make the same thing for almost half the price,and thought eh why not ?! 

Porkpie5000
1 minute ago, Reefkid88 said:

I saw them for a little over $100 but know I can make the same thing for almost half the price,and thought eh why not ?!

Absolutely. This may be one of those times where I go with convenience over thrift.

I'm anxious to see what you come up with. 

Clown79

I can't see why it wouldn't work in a nano.

If you can diy one that's even cooler

Reefkid88

I'm thinking:

-Small to medium project box - $3-$8

-Sheet of Knitting screen - $1-$5

-Small air pump - $10-$12

-2x SemiLed Royal's & 2x SemiLed 660 Reds - $4

-Air line tubing -$1-$4

-4x Frag rack magnets - $26 (I know you can find some cheaper).

-RapidLed Moonlight driver-$10

-Small Heatsink-$10

So all in all it may or may not be benefical enough to build your own or make one. 

• Like 1

Tamberav
On 10/26/2018 at 6:03 PM, Reefkid88 said:

I'm thinking:

-Small to medium project box - $3-$8

-Sheet of Knitting screen - $1-$5

-Small air pump - $10-$12

-2x SemiLed Royal's & 2x SemiLed 660 Reds - $4

-Air line tubing -$1-$4

-4x Frag rack magnets - $26 (I know you can find some cheaper).

-RapidLed Moonlight driver-$10

-Small Heatsink-$10

So all in all it may or may not be benefical enough to build your own or make one. 

I think it is a good idea, teenyreef is trying one on his 40g. I always wanted to try one and would love to see a build done for one. 

Reefkid88

I just have 35g less than him lol and always wondered if it would even make it worth while to do it. I have seen some on eBay,Fish-Street has one,or I can build one..hmmm... 

Tamberav
3 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

I just have 35g less than him lol and always wondered if it would even make it worth while to do it. I have seen some on eBay,Fish-Street has one,or I can build one..hmmm... 

They seem more effective than cheato. I want to set one up in my cold water tank which is 7 gallons but I am a bum with questionable DIY skills at times. 

Porkpie5000

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Santa Monica DROP.6 for the second chamber on my IM 10. I’ll keep you posted on how it goes. 

• Like 1

AFI
On 10/29/2018 at 11:22 AM, Porkpie5000 said:

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Santa Monica DROP.6 for the second chamber on my IM 10. I’ll keep you posted on how it goes. 

Any updates?

Reefkid88
29 minutes ago, AFI said:

Any updates?

As of now no,I ended up not running one and opted for a AC30. I was originally 

Screenshot_20190104-153440_Samsung Internet.jpg

Porkpie5000
On 1/4/2019 at 2:02 PM, AFI said:

Any updates?

I ran it for about 2 weeks and barely even got any slime. I would have kept running it but the vent hole in the top always had a small amount of spray coming out of it and it was a salt creep nightmare. I will probably try it again and dial back the air pump so I don't get all of the salt creep but for now it is sitting in the extra equipment drawer.

• Like 1

Superdave

For what it is worth, I allow algae to accumulate on the outflow/spill over part of my hang on back (a very old Bio-Wheel 110) filter.  If it gets too long or starts to break off and potentially make its way into the tank, I pull some off.  I still have a big of very thin green algae here and there in my tank, but I figure my informal "mini" scrubber is doing something.  Some return filter portions are very smooth so might be worth scuffing it up a bit if need be.  The Bio wheels were made of a much "rougher" (by comparison) plastic.  

When I still had a discus tank years ago, I used a very large bio-wheel (350 I think?) that had had dual return/spill overs back into tank.  I always let algae growth there as well and eventually (after a couple of years) it turned into some sort of freshwater sponge!

Jimbokro

I have a DIY scrubber in the center chamber of my Fluval 13.5 for two months with good success.  It uses a vertical 11” mortar screen in a three sided box with a bubbler located at the bottom that is fed by a $10 air pump.  It runs about 14 hours a day and has produces 100g+ of algae every 6-7 days.   The vertical enclosure is just narrow enough to allow for placing it at a slight angle to make the bubbles roll up the screen as they race to the surface.  Light is a 12” x 1” “stick” led (11 red/1 blue) that is 1” off the outside of the class shining in.  It is reasonable quiet and productive thus far.  The box is made of scrap acrylic & stuff that was lying around.  So far, so good👍

0236C4D3-376A-440B-9D7F-18F549A99D83.jpeg

3FCF4D07-44B4-4D75-808A-1C6D446D7BB3.jpeg

32389544-8D49-47DE-AB60-1D2587198EB2.jpeg

xthunt
1 hour ago, Jimbokro said:

I have a DIY scrubber in the center chamber of my Fluval 13.5 for two months with good success.  It uses a vertical 11” mortar screen in a three sided box with a bubbler located at the bottom that is fed by a $10 air pump.  It runs about 14 hours a day and has produces 100g+ of algae every 6-7 days.   The vertical enclosure is just narrow enough to allow for placing it at a slight angle to make the bubbles roll up the screen as they race to the surface.  Light is a 12” x 1” “stick” led (11 red/1 blue) that is 1” off the outside of the class shining in.  It is reasonable quiet and productive thus far.  The box is made of scrap acrylic & stuff that was lying around.  So far, so good👍

0236C4D3-376A-440B-9D7F-18F549A99D83.jpeg

3FCF4D07-44B4-4D75-808A-1C6D446D7BB3.jpeg

32389544-8D49-47DE-AB60-1D2587198EB2.jpeg

I made something extremely similar for a chamber of my lagoon 25, black acrylic and all. Didn't use mortar, just a roughed up screen. Unfortunately couldn't get hair to grow, just brown gunk under the screen. Didn't have bubbles though. 

Jimbokro

I enhanced the mortar by embedding Aragonite in the mortar which I felt was too smooth.  I scrape with a piece of acrylic very hard and the Aragonite chips saves the algae on the smoother mortar from being scraped off.  

Gotta have bubbles.  I’ve use river scrubbers with some success but that gotta be large.