Coral Vue Hydros

food for cleanup crew

maniafairie

I just added my cleanup crew to my ten gallon and it consists of: one sandshifting star, 1 emerald crab, 2 red-legged crabs, 3 scarlet crabs, 6 astrea snails. My question is: I want to make sure the crabs have enough to eat (and the snails and starfish). i have 13 pounds of live rock but I'm hoping they won't eat ALL my coralline algae that's already started to grow. What would be a good supplement to feed them to make sure they get what they need?

What does the "sandshifting" star look like? Nothing you've added makes a habit of eating coralline so I wouldn't worry there.

The crabs awill all eat anything you offer the tank. The snails will happily consume a small piece of nori rubberbanded to a rock if need be however I am sure there will be enough algae growing on the glass for a while to help keep them satiated.

HTH

Similar Question...my 12g cube is 3 months old now and had a major algea and detrius prob. I have 1 margarita snail..1 turbo...1 bumble bee....2hermits..

For three weeks I cut back from 12 hours of light to 8 hours of light...My tank is now BARE except for two dime size patches of green hair algea and a little coralline that has looked much healthier.... I don't have brown covered sand anymore and the hair is all gone....No glass cover at all...it is pristine!

My snails are VERY active looking everywhere for food. I've never seen them move around so much.....

I was thinking of removing the margarita or turbo and one of my hermits.. Plus I have added 12 hour lights again so they don't starve!!!!!

Will they starve!?!?!?!?!

Well in those pics the star in the bottom two is definitely a "pin cushion" star. It's going to eat up your sand bed and will probably eventually starve.

HTH

• 2 weeks later...

One thing about the sand sifting star, you need a big tank (I would suggest min of 55 gal). They have a tendency of depleting your live sand of everything. Defnitely not recommend for ANY Nano.

Archived