Innovative Marine Aquariums

slooye

SLOOYE'S 10 GALLON NUVO FUSION BUILD

OVERVIEW:

Decided to start up a small nano again after being away from the hobby for a bit. I was 16 at the time I set up my first tank (20 now), so iv'e been able to learn a substantial amount of information since then. Along with being able to learn from my mistakes. My budget has also increased so that will definitely help with setting up more of a sleek looking setup. The plan is to track my progress weekly (or whenever something worth talking about comes about.) The tank is currently in its cycling phase and is set up in my bedroom on my dresser.

THE PLAN:

The plan for this tank is to keep everything pretty simple. Since I only have 10 gallons to work with I want to work with keeping the bio load quite low. With that being said I want to keep only 2-3 fish stocked at max. Fish wise, I'd like to go with a designer clownfish. Thinking a snowflake most likely. (There is a facility that breeds designers about an hour from my house.) Also maybe a blenny eventually. I figured since there won't be many fish in the tank, I want the ones that are to really stand out. For corals, I'm thinking LPS at the moment. Want to keep this tank as bright colored as possible.

EQUIPMENT:

-Nuvo fusion 10

-Kessil A80 tuna blue

-Kessil gooseneck

-Sicce 0.5 (upgraded the stock return pump)

-Nuvo spin stream nozzle

-Tunze nano ATO

-50w eheim jager

-Chinese digital thermometer off amazon

OTHER SPECS/INFO:

-8 pounds of dry rock (From Bulk Reef Supply)

-Bio active live sand

-Using Dr. Tims ammonia and Instant Ocean Bio Spira to fishless cycle the tank.

-Chemipure blue nano (added filtration)

-Instant ocean reef crystals for mixing

-Hydrometer (Need to order a refractometer)

-API Saltwater Test Kit

PROGRESS:

Before Adding Water: 10-18-18

1914054999_Beforeaddingwater.thumb.JPG.cd73b88e053acda02625b2a4e32ad327.JPG

Water added: 10-21-18

A2772230-0DD7-420C-924D-19860BEC7AC5.thumb.jpeg.d46813039831e9be312265dbf1053ca9.jpeg

Current: 10-27-18

C6CE33E2-8FED-4BD8-B093-3859049C55AA.thumb.jpeg.dd87a8dc2343c680962c3dbfef6ee282.jpeg

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Daniel91 said:

Same build as mine. Good luck, looks cool.

As a suggestion, leave the lights off while you cycle. There is no need. It just promotes and feeds algae.

Just checked your build out, it’s looking really good! 

And yes, planning on leaving the lights off for the next month. Only on when viewing the tank. Thanks for the advice!

Hiding the controls/ control outlet:

B88392DB-B779-4482-990E-9BEC140B061B.thumb.jpeg.0207a5af5639bd931a20730009f3bbe8.jpeg

Since most people seem to use aquarium stands to hide there wires/controls/ATO system this is how I was able to hide everything with a normal dresser. (This may seem common sense to most, but may help someone someday.)

Love the nuvo 10 my son has one in his room. Just a word to the wise. My wife just pulled out moldy and stuck together board games from under one of our tanks that sits on a dry sink. Don’t put anything in the lower drawers that can’t take saltwater water(there very little that can). I know it seems like common sense but it might help someone someday. 😜

• Like 2
1 hour ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

Very similar to my set up.   You will love it and will be following along too see how the tank matures.

Actually, your tank was the one that inspired me to get back into reefing. I also was inspired through your tank to buy the nuvo 10. Your tank is truly a peace of art. Keep it up! 

(Teenyreef’s nuvo was another tank that inspired me)

12 hours ago, michaelbog said:

Love the nuvo 10 my son has one in his room. Just a word to the wise. My wife just pulled out moldy and stuck together board games from under one of our tanks that sits on a dry sink. Don’t put anything in the lower drawers that can’t take saltwater water(there very little that can). I know it seems like common sense but it might help someone someday. 😜

Yeah so far I really enjoy the tank. Appreciate the advice. Never thought of it leaking through like that but you never know!

SURVEYMAN46123
3 minutes ago, slooye said:

Actually, your tank was the one that inspired me to get back into reefing. I also was inspired through your tank to buy the nuvo 10. Your tank is truly a peace of art. Keep it up! 

(Teenyreef’s nuvo was another tank that inspired me)

Thanks man!   I truly appreciate that.

• Like 1

Picked up the jabao sw-4 Wavemaker for $20 bucks. Definitely couldn’t pass it up. Wanted to try to get away with just the spinstream and upgraded return pump for flow, but since there’s quite a few dead spots in my tank I think this will be well needed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

After a good month I finally got some life into the tank. Went over to a designer clownfish breeding faculty and picked up two clowns. One being a snowflake and the other being a misbar. The owner of the place was extremely helpful aswell. Best part was he only charged me $32 for the pair and gave me more then enough pellet food for them for free. If anyone is ever in the Madison Wi area I highly recommend checking the place out, It’s called Alpha Aquaculture. I also took advantage of Black Friday and picked up a few frags. One being a pink tip frogspawn and the other being some GSP. The frogspawn opened up what seemed like almost instantly, while the GSP opened up for a bit on the first day and now hasn’t opened up yet. Kinda weird honestly. Anyways here’s a few photos. (Definitely have to figure out a way to take photos that doesn’t distort color)5495E7F6-C001-4815-ACC6-86CB9671F883.thumb.jpeg.febe80f4043045441abc760ca256c63d.jpeg

38E9D515-16D2-481A-84BF-7267134256B0.thumb.jpeg.cbc805dc5b52a54da99523e0a0404b37.jpeg

• Like 4