Pod Your Reef

Experiences with HOB overflows

AlmightyJoshaeus

AlmightyJoshaeus

Well...any experiences? I have heard mixed reports online about these...some say they're foolproof, some say they flood if you look at them wrong, and some say they work fine if you keep them clean. Thanks 🙂

They're no better or worse than a drilled tank. If anything's going to flood, it'll be your sump because you either don't have a siphon break on the return line or you didn't set your sump max fill line correctly. 

With any overflow, the main concern is priming it when your power goes out. The CPR hang on ones like I have for our 90 gallon tank uses a special aqualifter pump to self-prime after the power comes back on. 

That dank Reefer

IMO just comes down to peace of mind. yes they both technically do the same thing but hob is a bit more sketchy. If something were to clog that single drain it will overflow (you could get multiple drains), so just gotta keep an eye on it. If the power goes out the tank could potentially overflow or you run your pump dry. Like said above having a self priming one is a must because if your power goes out it will restart itself, that feature is priceless and adds that peace of mind. I have a new cpr cs100 I’ll sell you cheap if you need one but drilled just seems a bit safer to me.