Innovative Marine Aquariums

Need help with Paly control

jeremyan7

see link attached..

I have a healthy tank.  Good water params.  this is a 14g IM peninsula...

My problem is the green(=ish) Payls are growing WAY faster than everything else...

You can see them in the video here:

On the right- center, then the center center...  

They are taking over other zoanthids, and SPS.  

How can I control these?

I'm concerned about Palytoxin maybe..  

and losing the other colonies..  

Any thoughts?

Pull them out. Several Zoanthids and Palythoa can grow like weeds. It's best if you can remove the rocks that they're on to a bucket of tank water and then work on removing the polyps outside of the main tank to avoid poisoning the tank with palytoxin. 

Palytoxin is no joke, so get some rubber gloves and wear eye protection when removing them from your tank. There's no way to tell which zoas/palys have it and which don't, so just assume that they all do and take precautions. 

• Like 1

Wear gloves when scraping them off, even eye protection. I have a small rock of purple people eaters I keep saying I'm going to throw out. They eventually start spreading across the sand bed. Some day I may lose control of them. My jerk urchin dropped some behind rocks in my red sea and they grew up the back wall. Good luck. 

A paper filter mask is also a good idea. Keep the palytoxin out of your lungs. When you work on removing them, go slow and do your best to remove as much of the base flesh as possible. Never boil zoas/palys off the rock. Scrubbing with wire (or other) bristle brushes isn't recommended as it'll spread little chunks and bits of zoa all over the rock. You could also remove the rock entirely, throw it out or allow it to dry out in the sunlight for a few weeks. I'd probably just toss out the rock in a trash bag and replace it with a similar one. Less hassle.

• Like 1

And I actually....  paid. .   for the Paly rock. 

I just wish they grew at similar rate to others... 

I suppose I could go the other way, and let it just grow...