Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Betta Picking on My Ghost Shrimp

Splatbug85

I have a betta named Buddy. Had him for about 8 months maybe? This month I got a mystery snail and 2 ghost shrimp to join him. The mystery snail was fine. Buddy didn't really mind him. He got stuck in the filter and died. The ghost shrimp hid a lot. My fish got sick so he's in a separate tank right now. The shrimp are alone in the original 5 gallon tank. They have never been so happy looking and ACTIVE! Usually they hide until it's bedtime and Buddy is sleeping. That's the only time they can eat as well. Buddy will see their food and guard it so they cannot eat. I try to put more food in another place so Buddy can't guard both areas. I recently had problems with high pH thus why Buddy is sick and I think it's cuz we left food out for them and it got icky. I know they eat other crap in the tank but it's very clean and the only live plants I have is one of those moss ball things. The shrimpies are SOOOOO happy alone being able to eat anytime during the day not being chased. Do I put Buddy back in the 5 gallon tank with the shrimpies and see what happens or do I put the shrimpies in a 2.5 gallon tank alone? Please help!

Welcome, this is a salt water forum but people keep freshwater too 🙂I would move the shrimp into the 2.5g, bettas are known to eat shrimp. Ghosts are probably a bit big for Buddy to actually eat but the shrimp seem to know he is a threat and probably why their behavior has changed. Bettas can also be a bit territorial.... plus feeding will be much easier for both inhabitants. Shrimp only tanks are really fun to watch.

• 2 weeks later...