Pod Your Reef

Wherrey’s Nuvo10 reef build

Wherrey

Oh my goodness! I just saw her grab the heck out of his caudal fin and she was pulling him! Maybe he’s definitely stressed! What to do?!?! I have a bet breeder should I separate them?

1 minute ago, Wherrey said:

My nitrates were a lot higher when I first got it they were near 100 I’ve been able to bring it down. All this unusual behavior started after I installed the pump and spinstream. Before that they were swimming everywhere and he was even being submissive to the female

Not sure if you saw my comment before about the auto top off? Are you using one? 

2 minutes ago, Wherrey said:

Oh my goodness! I just saw her grab the heck out of his caudal fin and she was pulling him! Maybe he’s definitely stressed! What to do?!?! I have a bet breeder should I separate them?

Omg!!! I have no experience with this at all, hope someone can advise quickly, 

5 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Not sure if you saw my comment before about the auto top off? Are you using one? 

No ATO at the moment... I apologize I didn’t mean to read past your message I was In shock watching her pull him around 😞 

9 minutes ago, Wherrey said:

No ATO at the moment... I apologize I didn’t mean to read past your message I was In shock watching her pull him around 😞 

Yeah I figured you probably missed it due to what was transpiring, so I just wanted to double check to be sure that wasn’t an additional factor. 

Hopefully someone will advise regarding which fish to keep in the the net. 

10 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Yeah I figured you probably missed it due to what was transpiring, so I just wanted to double check to be sure that wasn’t an additional factor. 

Hopefully someone will advise regarding which fish to keep in the the net. 

I’ve been topping off manually for now. I will get one soon still trying to look at reviews and find which would work best.

I called my LFS and he said to take him and trade him out for a smaller clown 😞 sad to have to take him back... but I think it’s the safest thing for him. they’re relatively about the same size but he was being the submissive one idk what happened, something went wrong in the relationship....

No possibility I could put him in my 55g either I have a pair of black snowflake clowns and my little orange  thirdwheeler. They’ll finish him off 😞

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, Wherrey said:

I’ve been topping off manually for now. I will get one soon still trying to look at reviews and find which would work best.

I called my LFS and he said to take him and trade him out for a smaller clown 😞 sad to have to take him back... but I think it’s the safest thing for him. they’re relatively about the same size but he was being the submissive one idk what happened, something went wrong in the relationship....

No possibility I could put him in my 55g either I have a pair of black snowflake clowns and my little orange  thirdwheeler. They’ll finish him off 😞

That stinks.  Were they a pair when you got them? I have heard of clowns suddenly not getting along and I'm sorry it happened to your little fella. I'm glad you were able to intervene before it was too late. 

2 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

That stinks.  Were they a pair when you got them? I have heard of clowns suddenly not getting along and I'm sorry it happened to your little fella. I'm glad you were able to intervene before it was too late. 

No they weren’t paired yet 😞 it had looked like they were starting to form the union but I guess he looked at my zoas and she took it the wrong way and got jealous... 😛. Poor little guy did make it to the LFS safely though thank goodness 👍🏼

• Like 2
SURVEYMAN46123

Sorry to see this about your clown.   Poor guy.

As far as the spinstream, mine has never been loud.   It had a slight noise at the beginning, but never loud as some people report.   

• Like 1
2 hours ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

Sorry to see this about your clown.   Poor guy.

As far as the spinstream, mine has never been loud.   It had a slight noise at the beginning, but never loud as some people report.   

Mine was noticeable it sounded like a rollercoaster and once it would reach the top a little “clunk” as it was going for the next rotation then “click click click clunk” it wasn’t too bad but I just replaced it with the stock nozzle and dialed down the sicce a bit. Both clowns started acting funky after installing it and the more dominant one started attacking the other. Idk if the spinstream noise was bothering them or the vibration from what I was explaining or if there wasn’t enough surface agitation. I honestly don’t know.... It was just weird and looked pretty brutal. Luckily my LFS is cool and took back my clown before he died and saved me from loosing those $45. I think in the future I’ll go for a bonded pair rather than just trying to see if they pair themselves. LFS gave me a bigger clown saying he doubts the other one turned female yet and if I see them fighting just to return the big one and he’ll order a small one for me. So far they’re doing good I saw them go at each other at first and now the one I thought was female is backing down to the other one.

27 minutes ago, JBM said:

you might be better off removing both clowns and buying a true pair. Search local boards and forums. Should set you back 100-150 for a mated pair

I’ll keep an eye on them and if worse comes to worse I’ll do just that. 

• Like 1
SURVEYMAN46123
On 10/27/2018 at 12:30 PM, Wherrey said:

Mine was noticeable it sounded like a rollercoaster and once it would reach the top a little “clunk” as it was going for the next rotation then “click click click clunk” it wasn’t too bad but I just replaced it with the stock nozzle and dialed down the sicce a bit. Both clowns started acting funky after installing it and the more dominant one started attacking the other. Idk if the spinstream noise was bothering them or the vibration from what I was explaining or if there wasn’t enough surface agitation. I honestly don’t know.... It was just weird and looked pretty brutal. Luckily my LFS is cool and took back my clown before he died and saved me from loosing those $45. I think in the future I’ll go for a bonded pair rather than just trying to see if they pair themselves. LFS gave me a bigger clown saying he doubts the other one turned female yet and if I see them fighting just to return the big one and he’ll order a small one for me. So far they’re doing good I saw them go at each other at first and now the one I thought was female is backing down to the other one.

Wow nothing like mine.   I'm sorry to hear that about your spinstream.  Hope the new clown is doing well.

I've dealt with clowns in non-reef tank for years.  My suggestion would be to keep the picked on clown in the main area and the bully you need to isolate for a while.  Clowns are very territorial.  I've broken this behavior before by allowing the non-dominate clown to establish the "territory" then add the problem clown back in.  If possible change up your rock scape so it looks different to them both.  Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't.

• Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, Mark L. said:

I've dealt with clowns in non-reef tank for years.  My suggestion would be to keep the picked on clown in the main area and the bully you need to isolate for a while.  Clowns are very territorial.  I've broken this behavior before by allowing the non-dominate clown to establish the "territory" then add the problem clown back in.  If possible change up your rock scape so it looks different to them both.  Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't.

I did something similar when introducing cory cats and otocinclus to my betta's tank. Pulled him out, rearranged plants, added cats, added betta. Worked alright. 

• Like 1
On 10/29/2018 at 6:12 AM, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

Wow nothing like mine.   I'm sorry to hear that about your spinstream.  Hope the new clown is doing well.

Yes they’re doing good so far no issues they’re hosting the same corner of the tank together...

On 10/29/2018 at 6:26 AM, Mark L. said:

Thank you for your suggestion I’ll do the isolation if I notice anything going on 

So I just picked up an AI Prime HD and I’m trying to emulate the BRS AB+ but my LFS had the AI Prime Flex Arm so it sits about 10” above the water line. Looking for any suggestions on how to acclimate for the light, I’m running them at 50% of the BRS AB+ recommendation

I have also purchased a few more frags as well as an Ultra BTA for my clowns (which seem to be doing the pairing routine the whole seizure dance submissive behavior) and they actually swim together unlike when the other one was in the tank.

I did notice my torch seemed to be bleaching under the old LED light i was using

Hopefully someone can help me out with the AI Prime configurations...408A6726-37E7-4BB4-B32C-A0F5BEE1B127.thumb.jpeg.173f9df7f181ae1882c4553d962b5c76.jpeg

• Like 1

I’m trying out the Saxby settings with Karen Vasquez variation... set at 45% acclimation over 2 months. I thought both looked good and mixed with them both and this is what I came up with...

Does anybody think it would work out?

what has worked best for others?

i noticed the BRS has high UV and V settings. Is it mainly for color?6BD1F840-9927-4704-B4A0-8646CD5C4DF2.thumb.png.c908601609a54c8623c940b9fb8a31fd.png