Pod Your Reef

Wherrey’s Nuvo10 reef build

Wherrey

Hi all!

I just recently got into the saltwater hobby about 3 months ago I do have a 55 gallon FOWLR at the moment and just recently picked up a Nuvo 10 from my LFS he gave me a pretty sweet deal and it was up and running with him for about a year and a half. Transferred real smooth to my home with no issues. All parameters checked clear after the move and letting it settle. I’ve been following multiple threads here and it’s great to see there are a lot of people willing to help out and give advice. I did my first 2 gallon water change and plan on doing the 2 gallons weekly. 

This is is when I first got it home

10/13/18

F80337B6-EEB5-47CD-8289-97D7DE3CDDF5.thumb.jpeg.61bcc90027eb316d745bfef05ac35e49.jpeg

10/18/18A20288B6-C137-453F-ADEF-2E609CBD7FB6.thumb.jpeg.684b605bb60c548f7ac06f969d5a2711.jpeg

Equipment:

IM NUVO Fusion 10

IM Custom Caddy

Sicce Syncra Silent 0.5

AI Prime HD

50 watt Aqueon Heater

Filtration:

10 lbs Sand LFS gave me

7 lbs Reef Saver Rock 

2 Marine Pure spheres

Chemipure Blue Nano

Purigen

Livestock:

2 Frostbite Clowns

1 Astrea Snails

1 Red Legged Hermit

2 Brittle starfish (came in tank)

Current Corals:

Torch

Gold Torch

Bicolor Hammer (Blue/Green)

Acan

Zoas

Ultra BTA

• Like 2

So I noticed once I put in the Koralia Nano my tank is heating up to 80 degrees I have my heater set at 78 which works fine. So my guess is it’s the powerhead.... I was following Surveymans thread and saw he’s been doing great with the sicce .5 return pump and the spin stream so I actually ordered that from BRS and it should be coming in this Wednesday...

• Like 2

I took out the powerhead because it was heating up my tank close to 80-81 degrees. I had my nitrates tested and they were extremely high between 80-100. The LFS I got it from showed 0 nitrates so I’m a little confused. How often can I do water changes without messing up the system... I will be doing my weekly 20% tomorrow. I just recently added the chemipure blue and purigen yesterday.

2 hours ago, ReefGoat said:

You wont mess up anything by doing water changes. Try doing about 2.5g weekly. 

I’ll try that. But as far as frequency, no more than 1 time per week? 

57 minutes ago, Wherrey said:

I’ll try that. But as far as frequency, no more than 1 time per week? 

I’ve been noticing that doing quick little mid-week 1g water changes in addition to my weekend 2 gallon water change with gravel vac and back chamber vac has really been helping keep everything stable. Less fluctuation in my alk & ca throughout the week.

2 minutes ago, falcooo said:

I’ve been noticing that doing quick little mid-week 1g water changes in addition to my weekend 2 gallon water change with gravel vac and back chamber vac has really been helping keep everything stable. Less fluctuation in my alk & ca throughout the week.

I’ll definitely give that a try. Thank you for your response! Tomorrow is my weekly and I’ll start adding in the 1g mid-week. Hopefully I can bring down my nitrates quickly 

Well if the nitrates were recently 0 and now they are 80-100 that sounds like one of those sets of tests was inaccurate so I would check into that first to confirm they are really high before doing anything drastic to correct high nitrates. 

And congrats on your new tank, you did a great job with your rockscape remodel. Hope you love your Nuvo 10 as much as I love mine, it’s a great tank!

1 hour ago, banasophia said:

Well if the nitrates were recently 0 and now they are 80-100 that sounds like one of those sets of tests was inaccurate so I would check into that first to confirm they are really high before doing anything drastic to correct high nitrates. 

Yea it’s a little weird from 0 to 80-100. Which tests do you recommend for measuring the nitrates? 

1 hour ago, banasophia said:

And congrats on your new tank, you did a great job with your rockscape remodel. Hope you love your Nuvo 10 as much as I love mine, it’s a great tank!

Thank you! My wife is actually wanting to pick up a second one. I have this one on my nightstand, now she wants one on her side 😛. But I enjoy every second of it. It really helps to de-stress. Except for when something goes wrong haha...

• Like 1

It may be possible that the disturbance of being moved caused a mini-cycle/nitrate spike, but it may also be the tests. What kind are you using? As far as water changes, you can definitely do them more than once a week if needed, but otherwise weekly should suffice. Large water changes are frequently used in nanos and picos to correct issues. 

5 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

It may be possible that the disturbance of being moved caused a mini-cycle/nitrate spike, but it may also be the tests. What kind are you using? As far as water changes, you can definitely do them more than once a week if needed, but otherwise weekly should suffice. Large water changes are frequently used in nanos and picos to correct issues. 

I was using API and the two LFS I go to I know one uses API which showed 0 and I’m not sure which the other LFS used I didn’t catch it :S. I’ll be doing my weekly today though and I’ll test before/after. I’m thinking it could be the move because I had him test it like 4 days after and it showed 0 I bought about 5lbs of live rock and placed it in and the next day I had it tested from the other LFS. Maybe I disturbed the sad bed too much when I was placing the rock in... 😞 

API is notorious for being off. Great for cycling but so unreliable with ammonia and nitrate.

I am all for budget kits but I would suggest getting the salifert Nitrate.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Wherrey said:

I was using API and the two LFS I go to I know one uses API which showed 0 and I’m not sure which the other LFS used I didn’t catch it :S. I’ll be doing my weekly today though and I’ll test before/after. I’m thinking it could be the move because I had him test it like 4 days after and it showed 0 I bought about 5lbs of live rock and placed it in and the next day I had it tested from the other LFS. Maybe I disturbed the sad bed too much when I was placing the rock in... 😞 

It's also possible the rock wasn't fully cycled or that there was a bit of dieoff, particularly if it was out of water for any length of time. Were ammonia and nitrites tested as well?

3 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

It's also possible the rock wasn't fully cycled or that there was a bit of dieoff, particularly if it was out of water for any length of time. Were ammonia and nitrites tested as well?

I'm thinking too it could possibly of been die off...

I tested with my API kit and was reading about 40ppm when I got home from work. I did a 2.5 gallon WC and tested approximately 1.5 hours later and was reading around 20 which is way better than what the LFS showed. I also added perigen

Ammonia and Nitrites are reading 0

• Like 2

So some of my rock work fell when I was scraping algae off and couldnt replicate the little arch I had but It turns out i made a little cave and feels more secure. My clowns go in through the front side and appear in the back it seems like they like it .

76E56D20-A84D-4B4F-8742-780C19C63652.thumb.jpeg.f7a21369f381f2735717bf4cfd0914cf.jpeg

• Like 2

Ok I got the Sicce 0.5 pump in today and the spin stream... I installed both pump is fully open and seems like not much flow is coming out but I do see the corals with a little sway. Spinstream has that funky noise I read about (I’ll have to get used to this) and it’s in my bedroom :S

Next thing I noticed are my clowns hanging out on the bottom. My hammer isn’t as opened up as he first was and my little gold torch is not really out at all 😞 and the Acan doesn’t look too good either...

599AF3C4-003A-4C4C-B477-9D22E967473E.thumb.jpeg.5432d7b2e3b7643a8f9705f5273ce750.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Wherrey said:

Ok I got the Sicce 0.5 pump in today and the spin stream... I installed both pump is fully open and seems like not much flow is coming out but I do see the corals with a little sway. Spinstream has that funky noise I read about (I’ll have to get used to this) and it’s in my bedroom :S

Next thing I noticed are my clowns hanging out on the bottom. My hammer isn’t as opened up as he first was and my little gold torch is not really out at all 😞 and the Acan doesn’t look too good either...

599AF3C4-003A-4C4C-B477-9D22E967473E.thumb.jpeg.5432d7b2e3b7643a8f9705f5273ce750.jpeg

Maybe the dumb noise of the spinstream is stressing them out 😕

1 minute ago, Wherrey said:

Maybe the dumb noise of the spinstream is stressing them out 😕

More likely it's the change in flow.  With the euphyllia, make sure they're not getting blasted as it is possible for them to actually get torn by too-strong or too-direct flow.  You may have to fiddle with the direction of flow or placement of corals.

1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

More likely it's the change in flow.  With the euphyllia, make sure they're not getting blasted as it is possible for them to actually get torn by too-strong or too-direct flow.  You may have to fiddle with the direction of flow or placement of corals.

The flow isn’t “blasting” them at all 😕 and it’s the spin stream so it’s different pattern... the flow feels a little weak but I do see them swaying a tiny bit.

50 minutes ago, Wherrey said:

The flow isn’t “blasting” them at all 😕 and it’s the spin stream so it’s different pattern... the flow feels a little weak but I do see them swaying a tiny bit.

Do you have a powerhead? I wouldn't think the Sicce .5 and SpinStream alone would provide enough flow. The SpinStream significantly reduces the efficiency of the pump, from what I've read by about 50%. I have the same set-up plus a Koralia Nano.

5 minutes ago, falcooo said:

Do you have a powerhead? I wouldn't think the Sicce .5 and SpinStream alone would provide enough flow. The SpinStream significantly reduces the efficiency of the pump, from what I've read by about 50%. I have the same set-up plus a Koralia Nano.

I have a koralia nano as well the only issue was it was raising my temp to about 81. I’ve seen some successful nanos running with just the 0.5 and spinstream 😳

20 minutes ago, Wherrey said:

I have a koralia nano as well the only issue was it was raising my temp to about 81. I’ve seen some successful nanos running with just the 0.5 and spinstream 😳

Hmm, I had the same issue in the summer and bought a cheap clip on fan which helped lower the temp. Now that its a little cooler out, I haven't even needed the fan. Also, could you raise the light a few inches? That might compensate for the heat caused by the powerhead.

8 minutes ago, falcooo said:

Hmm, I had the same issue in the summer and bought a cheap clip on fan which helped lower the temp. Now that its a little cooler out, I haven't even needed the fan. Also, could you raise the light a few inches? That might compensate for the heat caused by the powerhead.

I’ll have to look into that fan thing I’ll give these guys maybe tomorrow to see if anything changes if not I’ll definitely add a bit more flow. Even my clownfish are hanging around in certain spots not swimming around. Maybe it’s the change  and they need a little bit of time to acclimate? Not sure 😞