SaltCritters.com

IM Abyss Drop Off Panorama Project

FlytheWMark

Maybe in the shaded area, you could try sun coral or a feather duster worm. Both of those would need additional feeding and care though. I was just thinking about stuff that didn't rely much on light.

• 4 weeks later...

Update on this project.  Changed my rock scape around a little.  I had too much dead/shadow space under the previous configuration (which is a shame as I liked that look better but am ok with this one as well).  I only have a little wasted space now behind the rock in the lower portion and a really dark small area at the top under the arch (no idea if i can even put something in that spot).  I've also better isolated my tube nem which is really extending its sweepers now. 

Also for black Friday I added a nice rainbow Lobo (top above Acan Island) and some pink Goni's (I've heard horror stories about keeping these alive but my wife wanted to try them so... yeah . 😉 ).  Feeding Phyto per several recommendations so we'll see.

The one thing I do like better with this config is i have several more ledges for different corals.  A couple of torches will probably be my next investment.  Always looking for recommendations from this gallery as well for good additions.  

2018-11-27 19.04.56.jpg

• Like 4

Some cardinalfish or a fire shrimp would probably really appreciate all the vertical space and dark overhangs. Just a thought. :lol: Could use the space that corals might not do well in.

39 minutes ago, Firefish15 said:

Some cardinalfish or a fire shrimp would probably really appreciate all the vertical space and dark overhangs. Just a thought. :lol: Could use the space that corals might not do well in.

Yeah I'm looking at a shrimp.  I have a cleaner in my 10g but wanted something different in there so a fire shrimp might do the trick.  Can you mix and match shrimps or do you basically need to stay with one kind in a 20g?

14 minutes ago, Mark L. said:

Yeah I'm looking at a shrimp.  I have a cleaner in my 10g but wanted something different in there so a fire shrimp might do the trick.  Can you mix and match shrimps or do you basically need to stay with one kind in a 20g?

I think sticking with one type per tank would be safest. They're both in the same niche of cleaners and scavengers, so they'd probably compete.

• 1 month later...

Bit of an update here, moved some things around and added several items. 

Additions -- Sun corals (got a really good deal on these and I like the placement), Black Torch (has opened up awesomely), scrambled egg zoas, a bright green carpet anemone, and added another Lobo and a few extra CUC to keep it clean.  I added another Orange acan and now "Acan Island" is complete and growing spectacularly (3 new heads in the last month between them all).  Algae on the glass is starting to dissipate (clean maybe twice a week now) most parameters are stable.

Two things I need help with:

1. I'm struggling with getting the Sun Corals to feed regularly.  Sometimes when I'm feeding the other corals they will begin to open up and I can get them some food but this isn't often.  I know they are night feeders and maybe they are opening up late at night but I rarely see them open at all.  Any suggestions on what to do?
  2. A added a green bubble tip anemone (see picture).  He's doing ok except for the fact that he's anchored himself behind the rock where he is barely visible. I can see him enough to tell that he's opening up (not so much in the picture), feeding some and seems healthy but I'd much rather him decide to pick up and move to a place where I can enjoy him more.  Any suggestions on how I can "sour the milk" a bit more to entice him to move?  I've played with a few different flow methods with my powerhead with no avail.  The only think I can think of is move my powerhead to the other side of the tank (almost right on him) to see if he'll budge but I'm afraid that will push him into a worse spot.

I'll say this, I love this tank.  The drop off concept, to me, is soo cool.  Still tons of room to add different corals.  As always would love suggestions 😉 

2019-01-10 21.21.51.jpg

2019-01-10 21.21.21.jpg

2019-01-10 21.21.03.jpg

2019-01-10 21.20.16.jpg

2019-01-10 21.18.50.jpg

2019-01-10 21.19.27.jpg

2019-01-10 21.20.31.jpg

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/15/2019 at 12:30 PM, Mark L. said:

Bit of an update here, moved some things around and added several items. 

Additions -- Sun corals (got a really good deal on these and I like the placement), Black Torch (has opened up awesomely), scrambled egg zoas, a bright green carpet anemone, and added another Lobo and a few extra CUC to keep it clean.  I added another Orange acan and now "Acan Island" is complete and growing spectacularly (3 new heads in the last month between them all).  Algae on the glass is starting to dissipate (clean maybe twice a week now) most parameters are stable.

Two things I need help with:

1. I'm struggling with getting the Sun Corals to feed regularly.  Sometimes when I'm feeding the other corals they will begin to open up and I can get them some food but this isn't often.  I know they are night feeders and maybe they are opening up late at night but I rarely see them open at all.  Any suggestions on what to do?
  2. A added a green bubble tip anemone (see picture).  He's doing ok except for the fact that he's anchored himself behind the rock where he is barely visible. I can see him enough to tell that he's opening up (not so much in the picture), feeding some and seems healthy but I'd much rather him decide to pick up and move to a place where I can enjoy him more.  Any suggestions on how I can "sour the milk" a bit more to entice him to move?  I've played with a few different flow methods with my powerhead with no avail.  The only think I can think of is move my powerhead to the other side of the tank (almost right on him) to see if he'll budge but I'm afraid that will push him into a worse spot.

I'll say this, I love this tank.  The drop off concept, to me, is soo cool.  Still tons of room to add different corals.  As always would love suggestions 😉 

2019-01-10 21.21.51.jpg

2019-01-10 21.21.21.jpg

2019-01-10 21.21.03.jpg

2019-01-10 21.20.16.jpg

2019-01-10 21.18.50.jpg

2019-01-10 21.19.27.jpg

2019-01-10 21.20.31.jpg

Things are looking great! 😃 I just love the drop offs. 

I wouldn’t worry about the sun corals yet.  It may take a while to get them on a “day time” schedule. 

14 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

Things are looking great! 😃 I just love the drop offs. 

I wouldn’t worry about the sun corals yet.  It may take a while to get them on a “day time” schedule. 

They've started to come out some just within the last week.  I changed the flow up a bit and I think that did it.  Around 7pm when the light is bluer they are out for a few hours now.

Just now, Mark L. said:

They've started to come out some just within the last week.  I changed the flow up a bit and I think that did it.  Around 7pm when the light is bluer they are out for a few hours now.

thats good to hear. 😀

• 1 month later...
FlytheWMark

A bit of an update here, some small additions (sorry for the heavy blues)... I added a small small Galaxea and a few Zoa frags which so far are doing well (Zoa's love this tank.. they routinely add heads every week). I also transferred a small Frogspawn from my 10g tank where I could never find a good spot for him. He's opening much better now.  Sun Corals have really started opening with regularity over the past month or so (from 8-11pm most nights) so feeding them has become easier.  I also added a skimmer to help with keeping nitrates down and started with some Phosguard to get my phosphates better under control.

I also got my BTA to move from behind a rock and now he sits towards the top.  He still doesn't have that thick "bubble" look but at least he's visible now.  Looking to add another torch or two in a couple of areas in the tank.  We have a frag show here in April so I'm hoping to drop some $$$ if the wifey lets me 😉 

2019-02-26 21.29.52.jpg

2019-02-26 21.53.08.jpg

2019-02-26 21.32.20.jpg

• Like 1