Innovative Marine Aquariums

Advice on flow upgrade in my tank

LeoB

I wanted to get your input on upgrading circulation in my biocube 32. It's been set up for ~ 14 months and I have been using stock return pump with ~500 gph coralia powerhead in top left corner pointing up and forward from early on (see pic below). Over time I have been adding a vatiety of sps corals to the top portion of the rocks. They have been growing, but I feel like polyps are being moved too gently by the current. I would like to give them more of a beating. On the other hand I don't want too much flow ripping at the hammer on the bottom left and the brain coral on the sand. 

So so do you think I should put an icecap 1k gyre along the top horizontally or get an mp10 for the right side of the tank? One thought I have against MP10 is that I like having unobstructed view of the tank from all 3 sides, but obviously can't have it all. Any other ideas? Or should I just leave it alone since the corals seem to be getting by and better is the enemy of good? 

IMG_4461.JPG

I have a Red Sea Nano (20Gallon). Upgraded my pump to IM 326gph and added random flow generator nozzle. Works great and saves money rather than adding a wave maker. 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, VitoD said:

I have a Red Sea Nano (20Gallon). Upgraded my pump to IM 326gph and added random flow generator nozzle. Works great and saves money rather than adding a wave maker. 

That's a great idea! Apparently IM also makes a 538 gph version that might fit. Then, I can just point the nosle with random flow generator at the top of the rocks. This would actually be the most aesthetically pleasing solution too! 

It's odd that i haven't seen IM DC pumps come up with biocube upgrades discussions. So I will have to measure carefully. 

12 minutes ago, LeoB said:

That's a great idea! Apparently IM also makes a 538 gph version that might fit. Then, I can just point the nosle with random flow generator at the top of the rocks. This would actually be the most aesthetically pleasing solution too! 

It's odd that i haven't seen IM DC pumps come up with biocube upgrades discussions. So I will have to measure carefully. 

I personally don't think you'll get the kind of flow you are looking for from upgrading the return and adding random flow nozzles.  Gyre is a nice option, as are the Tunze and Jabeo pumps which could go more towards the corner and not obstruct much of the side viewing.  

I picked up a cheap aqueon 600 gph powerhead at petco and installed it on mine on the right side, just underneath the surface overflow. Both the return pump and the circulation pump are pointed straight ahead to create a turbid circulation at the front of the aquarium glass.  It's creating a random flow pattern about medium circulation for the majority of my rockwork.

1 hour ago, LeoB said:

Its a nice/quiet pump and also has a 10 minute feed mode. 

So I swapped stock biocube 32gal return pump (rated 265 gal/h) for IM 538 gph mighty jet midsize pump and very pleased. Without random flow generator or any additional attachments nice increase to movement of polyps on sps at the top and not too much disturbance to corals on the bottom. Best part - no extra equipment in the display!

I wanted to to have a backup pump anyway, so now the old pump can be the backup. I am surprised more biocube 32 owners don't upgrade to this pump. I did  have to remove the intake guard to make it fit. Since I have a sponge between chambers 2 and 3 shouldn't be a problem. 

IMG_4561.JPG

14 hours ago, LeoB said:

So I swapped stock biocube 32gal return pump (rated 265 gal/h) for IM 538 gph mighty jet midsize pump and very pleased. Without random flow generator or any additional attachments nice increase to movement of polyps on sps at the top and not too much disturbance to corals on the bottom. Best part - no extra equipment in the display!

I wanted to to have a backup pump anyway, so now the old pump can be the backup. I am surprised more biocube 32 owners don't upgrade to this pump. I did  have to remove the intake guard to make it fit. Since I have a sponge between chambers 2 and 3 shouldn't be a problem. 

IMG_4561.JPG

Awesome! Did you try the Sine Wave Mode too? 

In my nuvo 10 I run a IM mighty jet 326gph with a random flow generator and that's it. I get a good amount of indirect flow throughout the tank with a nice increase in intensity from bottom to top for softies and Lps down low and sps up higher. 

I think you made a good choice. Add a rfg and you should be good to go. 

I dont bother with the wave mode since its my only source of flow and would essentially result in cutting flow in half. Plus I want water running through my media constantly. 

• 9 months later...
RebeccaAnnBaselice

So I want to upgrade to the mightyjet also.....I currently have a mp10 in my bio cube 32 for increased flow. Do you think I can eliminate it when I do the mightyjet 538 upgrade? I have a huge RFA that hates a lot of flow on him so I don’t want to upset him. Thanks! 

978B7050-5C03-4F7F-955A-2C26DE20BFFC.jpeg

GetPsyched2124

If you want to go for a cheaper wavemaker, I've been happy with replacing my Koralia Nano with the Jaebo OW-10 in my 20 gallon JBJ. I still run the stock return pump and have the OW-10 at, what i think is off the top of my head, 30% on wave mode. It can be tucked closer to the corner and angled too