Innovative Marine Aquariums

Best type of power bar?

Marek

Hey there,

Been lurking as a guest forever while I figure out how I want to set up my next nano reef. Love this forum!

I am pretty sure I've got all the basics down, tank, skimmer, lighting, flow, filter, etc. but am stuck on what to use for power management.

I was thinking maybe a controller like the Digital Aquatics, but it seems a bit dated and clumsy to program. The Neptune looks intense and is just out of my budget...

That said I don't want to use a lame power bar, and might go ADJ for the switches but ultimately want more control than that.

Also came across this Felix Smart wifi power bar type thing. Looks almost like a controller also? Anyone using this or have more info or feedback?

Anyways let me know what you are using and if I am better off just getting the ADJ or trying to find something with more control.

Thanks!

Marek

• Wow 1

The Felix Smart website doesn't have a link to retailers, but it has a link to pre-order that says october 30th. The link doesn't do anything when clicked so i'm guessing it is disabled until that date. It doesn't look like it is on the market yet, and as far as being a full fledged aquarium controller, it could be but it doesn't mention if those usb ports can be used to connect stuff like temperature/ph/salinity probes, wave makers, lights, external lcd display, etc.

ADJ actually has a wifi controllable power strip, ADJ airstream wifi pack , but the problem is you can't do some of the things with it you can with an aquarium controller, like having it shut off pumps if a sensor detects a water leak, or having it turn off the outlet for the heater if the temperature goes over a certain point. 

righttirefire

I use these tripp lite strips. But im pretty low tech. My grounding probe is in the constant hot and everything else i can control at the flip of a switch. Pumps, lights, heater. Easy peasy

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Individually-Controlled-TLP76MSG/dp/B0068LACFI/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1539797635&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=individual+switched+power+strip

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, righttirefire said:

I use these tripp lite strips. But im pretty low tech. My grounding probe is in the constant hot and everything else i can control at the flip of a switch. Pumps, lights, heater. Easy peasy

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Individually-Controlled-TLP76MSG/dp/B0068LACFI/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1539797635&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=individual+switched+power+strip

I use something similar but I'm pretty low-tech as well.  I have pump, 2 powerheads, heater controller, and light.  I'm about to add a skimmer to my new tank.  That's it for me and it is cheap.  I don't want the "smart" things in my home although the idea sounds cool. 

• Like 1

Why not look at getting an apex JR? Works from your phone, tones of fun add-ons (not cheap but still cool) and gives you a little more peace of mind with a great temp prob that can be used to control your heater.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the awesome replies!

Apex JR sounds like a good option. Expandable too for the future which is great. I will always wish I had the highest end unit though... I know it. haha

I got some more info from Felix Smart and apparently their devices will range from $99 to $299 for the premium unit all decked out. I think that $300 for 8 controllable outlets, 6 USB, and a 360 degree underwater camera sounds pretty awesome! I am hoping maybe they will have a temp probe for it as well as a USB attachment for making it a heater controller. I think that would make it a front runner for me.

I didn't know the ADJ had a smart version! Checking that out now too.

Thanks all! 🙂

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey so I just saw that the pricing on these Felix units are going to be really awesome for their campaign on Indiegogo. Like 40% off so I think I am going to try it!
For now I'll just use my ADJ. Going to back for the Pro unit but only if I can get one of the first 100 units at the 40% off.

Kind of crazy! SUPER excited to try one.

Also, does anyone here have a recommendation for a good GFCI outlet brand? I tried a cheap one from home depot and it just trips the second I flip a switch on my ADJ. I had this issue before but they don't have the better GFCI I used last time. Thoughts?

Here is what they put up on facebook for the deals:

FB_IMG_1540837056469.jpg

I went with the trip lite switched power strip too.

I love the tech but those smart life controllable power strips had just enough reports of failure that I shiedaway... same with teffo... other options were out of my price range or I didn’t think would work for my application.

I’ll def look at a Neptune eventually.

Cheers!

• Like 2

Too funny!
I just supported this campaign. Looks really nice for the price; hoping it lives up to the hype. It is also Arrow approved though, which is a good sign.

I think it could be a good alternative to an Apex type unit if they make good on the probes etc. that they talk about on the campaign page. Also looks like they want feedback from backers so I am sure if enough people chime in they will try to make it happen.

I too use ADJ and also have an old Digital Aquatics I was going to toss on my recent build, but I opted for Felix MOSTLY for the camera (not going to lie) hahahaha.

• Like 1

They have released some more information!

They have developed USB to BNC connectors for various types of probes, so it sounds like Felix will be more in-line with a controller.
They've also asked their backers to join a facebook group to share ideas regarding what backers would like to see Felix be able to do which is great. Listening to the hobbyists backing the project is probably one of the best ways to make sure your product turns out as good or better than expected.

Also looks like they are going to meet their goal today some time.
Anyways, super stoked about this now!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Also just caught word they are teaming up with Seneye and will be completely cross compatible!
They have a facebook page for backers that give them a place to discuss what we would like and they posted it their. I think they will have their own Seneye monitors as well available through the campaign if enough people want to preorder.

• 1 month later...

DA was the best option...simple and as straightforward as possible.   sadly they are out of business.  

"Smart strips" like the ones mentioned are next best, but are REALLY under-featured vs DA's system.   The other options are uber-complicated.